“good location”

Ranked #209 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

located in a busy little street full of restaurants and oppisite a bar it can be noisy but is good value , the staff are fantastic and very helpfull . their money exchange rates are the same if not better than on the streets , same with booking tours through them . the room we had was large and clean . my only complaint is the noise from the bar across the road as our room was at the front ( we didn't ask to change rooms ) and for that reason i marked sleep quality poor

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank malboy
truongphuong, Owner at Saigon Sports 3 Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,
How are you?
Thank you very much for your review. We hope you are well and see you soon in Ho Chi Minh, Viet nam.

Best regards

Truong Xuan Do and Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in December and it was our first time having visited the city. We have previously travelled a fair bit around south east asia and new not to expect the world from such cheap prices. However when we arrived at Saigon Sports 3 we were pleasantly suprised by the extremely friendly service and standards of the room. Obviously this is no 5 star hotel but when put into perspective with price and location the rooms were everything we could ask for. The rooms were fitted with hairdryer, modern appliances and large beds, our room even had a small balcony overlooking the street although was too hot to use. The rooms were cleaned and fresh linen provided each day, as well as a simple but fresh breakfast of omlette, noodles or soup. Our room was facing the bar in the main street, however the noise was nothing over the top and just added to the atmosphere, and after a long day of touring just seemed like background noise. The staff at this hotel are a big asset and go out of their way to help you with tours, advice and just general conversations and jokes. On our checkout the hotel sent one of their managers ahead on his bike to meet us at the train station where we were departing and personally waited with us and helped us onto our sleeper cabin. This is just one example of the friendly and helpful service you will receive and we left feeling like we had made new friends. I would reccommend this hotel if you are looking for middle range rooms in a great location, friendly staff and a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jay T
Melbourne Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here last year and all was good. It was quiet and clean and staff performance was excellent. Unfortunately there is a new bar that opened up across the street and they are very busy and play very loud music until about 3 or 4 in the morning. I was put in one of the front rooms the first night and got very little sleep. I moved to a room in the back and could still hear the music.

Room Tip: get a room in the back and have earplugs ready.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank updog247
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is my second stay in this hotel. Stayed family deluxe room with my two children. Room looks old but is clean and spacious, has a pc and a kettle for boiling hot water.. Breakfast area has only ar 24 seats. advisable to have early breakfast. not much varieties

.Location is about 100m from the bus terminal. If you plan to go other other city like Dalat, it is a good transit hotel and hotel can book the ticket for you. You can never go hungry staying here cos just stepping out of this hotel are many eateries serving Vietnamese and Western foods. Near to banks and Coffee bean, kfc is about 400m away. 20 mins' walk to Ben Thanh market, beyond that, go further to Le Loi street where you can see more stationery shops selling stationery and small souvenirs

This 2star hotel seems to be run by young people and sometimes make mistakes. TA members should stand firm and not be bullied. Asked for compensation if you are at a disadvantage. Mr Do Xuan Truong, its director is an understanding man and welcome feedback. Spoken to him last year about the condition of the kettle in the room, he replaced all the kettles in the rooms and provide coffee packets for guests. Can tell staff you want to speak to him if there is any problem.

Will stay here again in future.

Room Tip: Take family room if you have 4 pax. it is more spacious and comes with PC.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Ko Samui, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I do not want to say any bad word about Saigon Sports 1, 2 etc., but accidently I stayed in this Saigon Sports 5 hotel at Pham Ngu Lao street, 283/3, and I can say you honestly: it is not a hotel - just rat's hole. Tiny rooms, dirty walls, broken furniture: you will have only one idea during your stay at this place "Escape from here as soon as it possible".

Room Tip: Go to the neighbouring Ngoc Minh Hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

From the 1st time my friend and I walked into the hotel, we where greeted by friendly faces, we didn have a hotel booked, but we recommeded to stay at this hotel, and once we met the staff we instantly knew this is were we wanted to stay for our vacation. The hotel is ideally located for travellers, as its in the centre off all the action. Once you arrive the staff ask for your passport and keep hold off it until you leave, this made me a little weary, but I then realized that it is more safe with them than you carrying it about yourself, the staff are so trustworthy. The hotel is functional as it accommodates everything, the rooms are very clean, and more than big enough for 2 people, with a mini bar and satellite tv. You can also catch free wifi from anywhere in the hotel which is a big plus. Alll the staff are so helpful and friendly and have realitivly good English. As Ho Chi Minh is a hetic city, the staff where so kind on recommending where to go and who to stay away from and how to get around the city. Jenny Pham at the travel/tourist desk is so helpful, as she helped us books trips and provided us with other helpful information. I would strongly advise anyone that is travelling to Ho Chi Minh to stay at this hotel as it will make your trip a hell of alot easier.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aaron G
Dear Sir and Madam,
How are you?

Best regards

Truong Xuan Do and Staff
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in Saigon Sports 3 with a group of several friends in mid September. The staff were always friendly and there was no request of a deposit or credit card upon check in--although they did want to keep my passport. This made me a bit uncomfortable. The front desk insisted that my passport would be safer with them than in my room or on my person. In the end, they allowed me to keep my own passport and took a photocopy. They asked me to sign the "rules" which consisted of no illegal activity and no bringing in "guests" after hours. While it wasn't the check in procedure I was accustomed to at hotels, the fact that they keep the seedy element away from the property and are serious about it is a good thing. The room itself is not fancy and looks pretty much like the photos in their brochures or online. The electricity works, the hot water works, the fan works, and A/C worked for me but not for others in our party. There was scum around the drain in the bath, and a bit of mildew on the shower curtain, but there was a fresh disposable toothbrush/toothpaste and complimentary instant tea/coffee in the room. For a cheap place to stay in the heart of Pham Ngu Lao, this is a perfect location. It's across from a loud bar, next to a convenience store and everything is within walking distance. Anything you could possibly want (sunglasses, shoe shines, dvds, girls, drinks, dried squid, flowers) will be thrust upon you the moment you set foot outside. If you're looking for quiet, definitely don't say here. The bar across the way plays loud music until very late at night -- it's a place to hang out and party not to chill and relax.I stayed here on the advice of a friend who had stayed at Saigon Sports 3 a year ago. He was in our group and said that the property was much nicer before. I knew there might be issues when the members of our group that arrived early emailed me "you might want to bring your own towel...and earplugs." The room could have been cleaner. The linens had stains and burns and so did the towels. I also saw a few baby cockroaches. However, as far as backpacker pads go, this place was much nicer than many I've come across over the years. If you're simply looking for a cheap, safe place to stay, Saigon Sports 3 is a reasonable choice. The biggest disappointment about this property was that there was construction going on. There is no way you could possibly miss it. I was not sure whether my room had been renovated or was just about to be, but there were undoubtedly major renovations going on during my stay. There was drywall and smoke in the air and drilling early in the morning and banging all day long. There were all sorts of smoking construction workers wandering around with bags of drywall and the sickening smell of silicone or glue permeated the air most times of the day. After the renovations are done, and assuming the linens, towels and shower curtains are replaced, this could probably be an ideal place to stay in this neighborhood for just a few bucks per person, but for the next couple months I would avoid it like the plague. I will never stay here again. Given the wide selection of hotels available in Saigon at very reasonable rates, I'll stay at a proper hotel next time.

Room Tip: I paid $2 extra for a "superior" room and my room was certainly superior to those of my fr...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends