“Good location, close to bus terminal and many eateries”

Saigon Sports 3 Hotel
Ranked #209 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
singapore
“Good location, close to bus terminal and many eateries”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is my second stay in this hotel. Stayed family deluxe room with my two children. Room looks old but is clean and spacious, has a pc and a kettle for boiling hot water.. Breakfast area has only ar 24 seats. advisable to have early breakfast. not much varieties

.Location is about 100m from the bus terminal. If you plan to go other other city like Dalat, it is a good transit hotel and hotel can book the ticket for you. You can never go hungry staying here cos just stepping out of this hotel are many eateries serving Vietnamese and Western foods. Near to banks and Coffee bean, kfc is about 400m away. 20 mins' walk to Ben Thanh market, beyond that, go further to Le Loi street where you can see more stationery shops selling stationery and small souvenirs

This 2star hotel seems to be run by young people and sometimes make mistakes. TA members should stand firm and not be bullied. Asked for compensation if you are at a disadvantage. Mr Do Xuan Truong, its director is an understanding man and welcome feedback. Spoken to him last year about the condition of the kettle in the room, he replaced all the kettles in the rooms and provide coffee packets for guests. Can tell staff you want to speak to him if there is any problem.

Will stay here again in future.

Room Tip: Take family room if you have 4 pax. it is more spacious and comes with PC.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Ko Samui, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I do not want to say any bad word about Saigon Sports 1, 2 etc., but accidently I stayed in this Saigon Sports 5 hotel at Pham Ngu Lao street, 283/3, and I can say you honestly: it is not a hotel - just rat's hole. Tiny rooms, dirty walls, broken furniture: you will have only one idea during your stay at this place "Escape from here as soon as it possible".

Room Tip: Go to the neighbouring Ngoc Minh Hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

From the 1st time my friend and I walked into the hotel, we where greeted by friendly faces, we didn have a hotel booked, but we recommeded to stay at this hotel, and once we met the staff we instantly knew this is were we wanted to stay for our vacation. The hotel is ideally located for travellers, as its in the centre off all the action. Once you arrive the staff ask for your passport and keep hold off it until you leave, this made me a little weary, but I then realized that it is more safe with them than you carrying it about yourself, the staff are so trustworthy. The hotel is functional as it accommodates everything, the rooms are very clean, and more than big enough for 2 people, with a mini bar and satellite tv. You can also catch free wifi from anywhere in the hotel which is a big plus. Alll the staff are so helpful and friendly and have realitivly good English. As Ho Chi Minh is a hetic city, the staff where so kind on recommending where to go and who to stay away from and how to get around the city. Jenny Pham at the travel/tourist desk is so helpful, as she helped us books trips and provided us with other helpful information. I would strongly advise anyone that is travelling to Ho Chi Minh to stay at this hotel as it will make your trip a hell of alot easier.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aaron G
truongphuong, Owner at Saigon Sports 3 Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,
How are you?
Thank you very much for your review. We hope you are well and see you soon in Ho Chi Minh, Viet nam.

Best regards

Truong Xuan Do and Staff
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in Saigon Sports 3 with a group of several friends in mid September. The staff were always friendly and there was no request of a deposit or credit card upon check in--although they did want to keep my passport. This made me a bit uncomfortable. The front desk insisted that my passport would be safer with them than in my room or on my person. In the end, they allowed me to keep my own passport and took a photocopy. They asked me to sign the "rules" which consisted of no illegal activity and no bringing in "guests" after hours. While it wasn't the check in procedure I was accustomed to at hotels, the fact that they keep the seedy element away from the property and are serious about it is a good thing. The room itself is not fancy and looks pretty much like the photos in their brochures or online. The electricity works, the hot water works, the fan works, and A/C worked for me but not for others in our party. There was scum around the drain in the bath, and a bit of mildew on the shower curtain, but there was a fresh disposable toothbrush/toothpaste and complimentary instant tea/coffee in the room. For a cheap place to stay in the heart of Pham Ngu Lao, this is a perfect location. It's across from a loud bar, next to a convenience store and everything is within walking distance. Anything you could possibly want (sunglasses, shoe shines, dvds, girls, drinks, dried squid, flowers) will be thrust upon you the moment you set foot outside. If you're looking for quiet, definitely don't say here. The bar across the way plays loud music until very late at night -- it's a place to hang out and party not to chill and relax.I stayed here on the advice of a friend who had stayed at Saigon Sports 3 a year ago. He was in our group and said that the property was much nicer before. I knew there might be issues when the members of our group that arrived early emailed me "you might want to bring your own towel...and earplugs." The room could have been cleaner. The linens had stains and burns and so did the towels. I also saw a few baby cockroaches. However, as far as backpacker pads go, this place was much nicer than many I've come across over the years. If you're simply looking for a cheap, safe place to stay, Saigon Sports 3 is a reasonable choice. The biggest disappointment about this property was that there was construction going on. There is no way you could possibly miss it. I was not sure whether my room had been renovated or was just about to be, but there were undoubtedly major renovations going on during my stay. There was drywall and smoke in the air and drilling early in the morning and banging all day long. There were all sorts of smoking construction workers wandering around with bags of drywall and the sickening smell of silicone or glue permeated the air most times of the day. After the renovations are done, and assuming the linens, towels and shower curtains are replaced, this could probably be an ideal place to stay in this neighborhood for just a few bucks per person, but for the next couple months I would avoid it like the plague. I will never stay here again. Given the wide selection of hotels available in Saigon at very reasonable rates, I'll stay at a proper hotel next time.

Room Tip: I paid $2 extra for a "superior" room and my room was certainly superior to those of my fr...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Our stay in Saigon Sports 3 was recommended to us by a hotel in Hanoi after much confusion over its name. There are two other 'Saigon Sports' (1&2) but 3 doesn't seem to feature on the trip advisor map.

We arrived early after a 6am flight and were welcomed with a glass of juice by the friendly staff on reception and waited for 5/10mins for our room to be readied. Unfortunately that is where the good review ends.

We were taken to our room on the 7th floor to find a staff member, drill in hand, attempting to fit an electrical socket next to the bed. We waited for 10mins for him to finish and leave. Needless to say the socket failed to work for the rest of our stay.

The room was very spacious (single and double bed - unnecessary as we are a couple) but contained a mish mash of dusty, damaged furniture, a filthy old fridge (containing crumbs from previous visitors food), random electrical wires dotted around the room but seemingly doing nothing and small ants on the walls and surfaces.

The bathroom. Where do we start. The room was filthy and grotty with the smell of sewage (especially at 630 in the morning). The bath was especially dirty and stained while the sink had exposed pipe work and towels were scratchy and small.

The landing and hallways were, as you would expect, dusty, dirty, housing random pieces of unused furniture, building equipment, stained walls and lights that did not work (that we discovered once it got dark). The lift only went to the 6th floor so we had to walk the final 2 flights of stairs each time and on one morning we discovered the mirror in the lift had been vandalised as it covered the floor in glass.

Breakfast is served downstairs from reception though it follows the hotels theme of dirty and grotty 'decor' and padlocked drink fridges that can only be accessed by the staff member.

So all in all a terrible experience and one that I would not wish on anyone. Fair to say our review of 'avoid at all costs' is a true reflection of our stay and advice for anyone considering the Saigon Sports 3.

On another note the hotel no longer looks like the photos here and we cannot understand the good reviews. This place is terrible.

• Stayed September 2012
Suffolk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here twice during a recent Asian trip. Ideally located in the busy traveller's area of District 1, it's very well positioned for meeting people and planning ongoing trips and travels. The hotel is functional, rooms were a good size, very clean with satellite TV and mini bar. I didn't have breakfast as there are many eating places nearby. As a solo traveller it's very important for me that the staff are helpful and can speak some English. This was very much true of the staff who looked after me very well, especially Jenny Pham on the travel desk who kindly helped me booking some trips and provided me with other useful local information. Quite important in a hectic city that can be quite challenging for travellers/tourists new to Ho Chi Minh City. I would recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Hotel is in a side street. Can be a bit noisy as bars/restaurants are open into the early hours. May...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

i stayed at the hotel from 5th September to 10th September. the hotel was nice, clean, tidy and cozy, staffs were friendly and helpful, price was reasonable. i'd like to send many thank to Mrs. Dung for assisting us a lot during our saying there

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dung235
truongphuong, Owner at Saigon Sports 3 Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,
How are you?
Warmest Greeting from Saigon Sports 3 Hotel.

Thank you very much for posting your lovely review on TripAdvisor. It has been our pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us for your trip in Ho Chi Minh,Viet nam. We're really happy and appreciate it.

We hope to be able to welcome you back for next trip.

Best regards,