“Fabulous Mekong Delta Tour”

Ho Chi Minh City Urban Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Ho Chi Minh City Discovery Small Group Adventure...
More attraction details
Owner description: Ho Chi Minh City Urban Adventures offers unique and authentic day tours around Ho Chi Minh City. They range from 2 hour to 1 day adventures and uncover back streets, hidden gems, and fascinating sights. Step into the lives of locals, find out what makes the city tick, and get acquainted with the local food, culture, and traditions of Ho Chi Minh City. A local expert guide will provide the knowledge and lead you through a fantastic urban experience.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I chose the Mekong Delta tour for my first day in Ho Chi Minh and was really pleased that I did. It was such a nice intro to the city, and I felt as if we actually experienced a bit of local life with the fish farm, candy factory, etc. We had Ngog (Gem) as our guide and she was fantastic. As a solo traveler, she ensured I felt part of the group. Plus she had answers for all of our random questions. I was really impressed with this because so many other guides seem to be reading from a script and have no deeper knowledge of the sites on their tour. A lovely and relaxing day. Highly recommend it (and Gem specifically)!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,882)
All reviews
"street food tour"
in 54 reviews
"home stay"
in 24 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were in HCM 2 weeks ago and had prebooked our Mekong Delta Day Tour. It was an excellent day and Gem was very professional and knowledgeable about the area we were visiting. She was always accommodating when asked questions whether it be about the tour or life in general in Vietnam. She made everyone feel very comfortable and always had a smile.

1  Thank MARILYN B
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our City Tour of HCMC with Intrepid. Our tour guide was Ngoc (Gem). Gem was an excellent guide to the chaos that is HCMC. She was professional, funny and very friendly and absolutely nothing was too much trouble. We went on the tour on the first day of our city visit and it was an fantastic introduction to the city. Gem was very knowledgeable, fun and gave honest answers to challenging questions. I would recommend this tour to first time visitors to HCMC.

1  Thank Superhoop1969
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently went on the Mekong Delta tour. It was, without exaggeration, the worst tour that I have ever been on.

The Delta itself is nice. The tour and guide itself were EXTREMELY poor.

First of all, the guide did not speak comprehensible English. Now I have been on many many tours, throughout south-east Asia. I am also Asian myself - and therefore have had a lot of experience with speaking with people that do not have English as their first language. \

Our guide's English was, 50% of the time, completely incomprehensible.

Furthermore, the guide did not inform us of ANYTHING that was informative or educational. Most of the comments during the tour involved:

- That Australians make more money than Vietnamese. Note: our whole tour group was Australian. Talk about awkward.
- That Vietnamese women can shower together. And therefore they were luckier than any other women.
- That the guide knew who were Chinese people because they pronounce differently to other Chinese.
- That farmers in Vietnam drink. And because they drink, they might decide to drink a bit more. And that makes them lazy.

Please note: this would be fine if it were humorous or even somewhat geared towards Vietnamese life. However, more often than not, it was just generic statements that were neither helpful nor informative. There was some awkward singing involved - especially at the restaurant - that seemed to be geared towards us tipping them.

The actual boat ride on the delta lasted about 8 minutes. However there was a pleasant motorbike experience.

I dont know how this received 5 stars i'm afraid. We have been to many tours - eg tours in Dalat, Cambodia, Hanoi ... that were far better for a fraction of the price.

1  Thank Mufafa M
HCMCUA, General Manager at Ho Chi Minh City Urban Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

We were greatly distressed to read your review of your recent trip to the Mekong Delta. Both myself and one of my staff have tried to contact you via your Trip Advisor profile in order to ask you for some further information about your tour. What we really need is the date that you travelled on so that we can work out who was your tour guide that day. If you could please respond and let us know, then we can fully investigate this particular tour and act appropriately.

December and January represents our busiest months in Vietnam, in some cases we double the amount of departures during this time. As a result, the four full time local guides we employ to run our Urban Adventures are sometimes not enough on some days and we need to employ freelance tour guides to help us out. The use of freelance tour guides is standard practice for travel companies in South East Asia.

From the way you described your tour guide, it is most likely a freelance tour guide that ran your trip. As a result of two other complaints we have received similar to yours about the quality of freelance guides being used, we have now taken steps to ensure that only reputable and reliable freeelance guides known to us will be used for these trips during these two months of our high season. We apologise for the insensitive comments made by this particular local guide and that his performance was not up to your expectations. Please contact us further with the information requested above so that we can further investigate this trip and take the appropriate measures to compensate you.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 22, 2013

After reading several recent reviews of this experience, my boyfriend and I thought we would share ours. We were in Ho Chi Minh in late December and decided to take the temples and tunnels tour. We were picked up at our hotel and taken in a van on our way. In the van, there were only 8 people, therefore every traveling couple had there own row to relax in, which was incredibly nice.

After a very long drive we arrived a house to eat a home cooked lunch. The lunch was amazing and very filling. Then we drove 30 more minutes to the Cao Dai temple where they were midway through a religious ceremony. We were able to stay and watch for around 45 minutes. The temple was very interesting and unlike any temple I had seen. The only downfall of the temple is that it took us close to 4 hours to get there.

We then started to head back toward Ho Chi Minh to the Cu Chi Tunnels. During our drive our guide was incredibly informative. She was a woman who was fluent in English. I have seen reviews of a man named Sam and we did not have him. I would recommend this woman, whose name I forget, to anyone. She was incredibly educated in the history of Vietnam and ran the tour flawlessly. Always informing us of bathroom stops, where to get water, and letting us rest when necessary.

The temple part of the tour was really time consuming if you are on a strict schedule but the tunnels are 100% worth it! They were very educational and enlightening. Make sure you get a young female fluent English speaking guide! She was awesome!