“Such a lovely place”
Review of Saigon Apartments

Saigon Apartments
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed for four weeks in April, I was looking for an apartment that was centrally and in a quite neighborhood - and Saigon Apartments fulfilled both of my requirements.
It is situated in a small street with several restaurants. From the place it takes about 20min to walk to Ben Thanh Market. There is a big and well stocked supermarket a few blocks away.
I really appreciated the free bottled water (I always got more when it started to get empty) and very good cleaning. Laundry room on the top floor that I used a few times – very clean.
Very friendly security staff that always helped me getting a taxi.
I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Cirdan1969

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Saigon Apartments in March 2014. The property is on a quiet street in D3, with 3 coffee shops across the streets which means convenient food/drinks from 7AM-11PM. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance although the grocery store (Coop Mart) is a bit of a long walk but an easy taxi or bike ride.

The staff is delightful and I truly enjoyed my stay. The amenities are very much Western-style as the owner is an Australian fellow and has evidently applied Western standard of service in training the staff.

I stayed in a two-bedroom apartment, which is quite spacious and attractive for one person. It can easily accommodate 4 persons. Each apt. as a balcony which is a bonus, although I must confess that the hot weather in March made the balcony less useful to me. Others may disagree.

There is a wifi router in every room! This is a huge plus as I'm sick of "free wifi" place with a router on every floor or worse one for the entire property. Although I experienced some internet congestion at times, I believe it's the entire neighborhood during those times. The Vietnamese love their smartphones and when they get home from work, everyone must be streaming movies. I was able to work fine with the office in the US, although I usually log on late at night.

No bath tubs--all rooms that I see have showers (quite nice actually). AC is ice cold if you want it and staff is responsive when I need a clothes hook replaced. There is laundry service (washers & dryers) on the top floor, which I took advantage of a few times (bring your own detergents). I'm a nit about bathrooms, and this place got my thumbs up. There is a kitchen stocked with kitchen ware if you are into that sort of thing. I used mostly the microwave. The fridge is spacious--medium size and not a dorm-sized one.

Some rooms still have the older style TVs-a bit odd really since the entire place is quite modern. I believe they are working to replace them all with flat screens. I only mention that because I haven't seen a tube TV in a US hotel for 5 years. May want to inquire if TV watching is important to you.

No fitness center but there is a Vietnamese gym around the corner. I didn't check it out. Fitness fanatics may want to sign up with that gym or another gym. Forget jogging in HCM. If you don't die of heat exhaustion in the street, you surely will die from inhaling the exhaust from the millions of motorcycles or from getting run over.

Overall, I truly enjoyed this place. The facility is top notch for what you pay, the staff is among the best (especially Ms. Hoang and others in the office), the cleaning staff is super nice and friendly, and the location is great (short taxi ride to Q1). Details are thoughtful for the Western traveler (little things like wine bottle openers, plenty of towels, smiling staff, etc.). This has become my favorite place to stay in SG.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Steve T
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Great location to walk to restaurants, the war museum and markets. Very quiet down a street away from traffic noise. Clean and good sized rooms with full air conditioning. No reception as such at the apartments but the security guy at the gate very helpful for taxis etc. Lovely fruit bowl waiting for us when we arrived. Bottled water but no coffee, sugar, salt or milk which is a shame. No pool. We stayed here twice during our visit to Vietnam and will certainly stay again and highly recommend

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Topchick64
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Upside: Good location, quiet, decent size room, clean, walking distance Saigon central, home feeling. Staff very helpful.
Downside: if possible, please include salt, pepper, sugar, coffee and tea bags in room. A bit hard to find breakfast places open early in morning, even at 8 am.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed late March for three nights. Once I booked online, I called the lady to confirm my arrival time. On arrival I was handed the key. And when I left (on my own time-frame) I handed the key to the security guards. As far as service goes, expect to be on your own. If you need to ask where a supermarket is, or where to get a coffee goes, your not going to get the answer.

Because the apartment is fully contained, stocked with a large kitchen, and has room service I didn't require much else. The apartment was huge. And had a large lounge room, additional dining area.

Sheets were spotless, and crispy clean. Beds were firm, but not uncomfortable.

I declined maid service, except for towels daily. But if you wish to have your bed turned, it will be done efficiently.

The street was very quiet. Hotel was secluded.

One hint, grab some business cards from the cafe's across the road to hand to Taxi drivers on your way home.

Also, I got a deal for US$56 per night, which was a real bargain.

Room Tip: Room 12 was large.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank KENT F
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We were really happy with our accommodation at Saigon Apartments. It was situated in a small side street with little traffic noise, staff were always friendly and helpful, even if English was a problem for some staff. The apartments themselves were spacious, very clean and extremely quiet with full cooking facilities. It was nice to wander around and see very little tourists, when I did wander down to the tourist areas in District 1 with all the bustle, scams and hawkers it came as a bit of a shock. Nice coffee shop if you turn left out of the hotel and go to the corner, if a bit noisy being on the main street. The vegetarian restaurant Hum (excellent food) is very close, also War Remembrance Museum.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife Julie and I booked to stay here for 5 nights on our first but not last visit to HCMC. The lady who runs the block Hoang was very helpful and friendly during our stay. The ladies that service the rooms and the security guy out the front were friendly and helpful even though there was a bit of a language barrier.
Now to the rooms I am not one for hotels due to space this apartment was spacious clean comfortable large fridge, microwave, air con in all rooms, Wi-Fi , rooms cleaned daily, towels daily , really what more would you want. However if you require room service best you stay in a hotel.
The complex is a short walk to some of the best eating places in HCMC as well as coffee shops etc. Sort walk into District 1 .
When we return to HCMC I would not look to book any other accommodation except this one .

Room Tip: The apartment we had was 2 bedroom on 1st floor the road out front is a pretty quiet street compared...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple