“Incredible. Best meal in Saigon”
Review of Cuc Gach Quan

Cuc Gach Quan
Ranked #58 of 3,753 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

This is the most incredible restaurant. Situated in District 1 within the family home you will be presented with honest and delicious food. The menu is extensive so we discussed what we liked/were interested in trying with the waiter who then made some suggestions. The caramelised pork hot pot was sensational. A good mix of locals and tourists - probably slightly more of the former. This was the final evening meal of a two week family vacation and it was a wonderful setting to celebrate and enjoy Vietnamese cuisine. Price was good around $75 AUD for 3 adults which included a cocktail, bottle of wine, 5 dishes and fruit platter to finish. If you decide to dine here enjoy!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,613)

Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is designed to have feel like a grand ancient family courtyard house, and it does so beautifully, complete with a ricketty ladder/stair over a courtyard fishpond. Only the steel roof joists & battens gave away its real age.

The furnitures are just as charming, and the food was impeccable.

A word of warning though, if you are tavelling with a toddler or elderly, make sure you ask for a downstairs table when you make the booking. We are travelling with an active 2yr old, preventing him from falling off the sides took all our attention that evening.

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We had late lunch there. Service was slow and poor. They paid more attention to their phones and conversing with each other. Food was ok but noodle dish was a total disappointment. Not worth the money. I had much more satisfying hotel room service food at the same price.

3  Thank agrace2004
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Our experience did not start well. I called in the afternoon to reserve a table at 8pm and the lady replied " we are busy till 9" and put the phone down on me. We decided to dine elsewhere that night!

This resteraunt seems to be known by every concierge and taxi driver in Saigon so we felt we had to try it and went for lunch the next day.

The setting is beautiful, and we almost had the place to ourselves. Even so the waiters seemed more interested in gathering around the bar and chatting, than serving us.

We had the soft shell cab as a shared starter, and this was one of the best I have ever had.

The home made tofu with lemongrass and chilli was almost good enough to turn this carnivore into a vegetarian, but the beef dish was tough, luke warm and very underspiced.

US$33 inc a beer. I felt there are better places to try for local food.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We read the reviews, we got a cab there and from the moment we arrived until we left we were not disappointed! We walked in past the amazing pond and were given a choice of seats. Our waitress, who we are embarrassed to say, we can't remember her name, spent time with us, explained things, listened to what we liked and the meal was amazing! I'd been craving soft shell crab and she recommened it cooked in salt, I was wary as I'm not keem on over salty food but I thought I'd try and I'm so glad I did!! It wan't just crunchy salt but almost caramelised salt - amazing!!! My husband prefers meat, after being recommended it, he had the caramelised pork hot pot, he loved it!! We had a couple of amazing vegetable dishes, once of them being courgette flower dish, all fantastic! As people have previously said, the menu is like a book and if you are there like us for one time, go with the recommended dishes. It was our last night in Vietnam and what a way to leave! WOW!!

1  Thank DebBansko