“Sketchy neighborhood and poor bathrooms”
Review of Family Inn Saigon

Family Inn Saigon
Ranked #48 of 914 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Milwaukee, WI
“Sketchy neighborhood and poor bathrooms”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here with a group tour and we all felt that this was the worst hotel that we had stayed in while in Vietnam. The neighborhood was sketchy, run down and felt seedy. In fact, right next door was an apparent brothel? in the guise of a "beauty salon" with scantily clad young ladies sitting on a sofa in the window. Not very "family" like for a Family Inn. It was somewhat walkable to the downtown area but not that close, especially considering the stress of crossing lots of streets with no pedestrian right of ways. The room itself was nice, the beds clean, and a refrigerator and safe provided. It had working air conditioning. However, there is one VERY SLOW elevator for 12 floors. The breakfast is average. Worst feature: the bathroom...the tub area and tiles are moldy, the shower doesnt drain well, water runs to the floor and there is a slight odor of sewer gas. There is no bar though alcohol is served at the restaurant on the 12 floor though the atmosphere is bland and uncomfortable. I would not choose to stay at this hotel again. Also, be warned that many rooms do not have a window (ending with 6 I think).

Room Tip: Make sure and ask for a room with a window!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LOB16
Family Inn S, Guest Relations Manager at Family Inn Saigon, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear LOB16,

Thank you for your feedback here on TripAdvisor.
We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at Family Inn Saigon. We appreciate that you took the time to share your valued feedback, which gives us the opportunity to monitor and continuously improve our services.

In regards to our plumbing system, I will forward your feedback to our associates from engineering and housekeeping who will investigate your remarks to ensure we provide a pleasant stay to all our guests in the future. Thank you for your advice.

We hope that we can be of service to you again in near the future.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here while in HCM City but were slightly disappointed in the stay. The hotel is located in a touch of a shadier area of town ("special massage parlors" on either side) and there are no windows. We didn't ask to change rooms as per some of the other reviews here because we were only staying two nights. They currently only have one lift which takes forever! Although we could tell the staff were trying to make it a little cleaner, we didn't feel excessive bleach on the floors makes a room truly clean. There were no windows in our room which did makes us feel a little claustrophobic as well. However, this was a decent hotel and if you're only staying for a day or two, it can be ok. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TBandMEdmondsCAN
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to express my appreciation for providing us with your personal feedback. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you. I will forward your feedback to the respective departments to ensure your expectations will be met next time.

Again, thank you very much for letting us know how we can serve you better.
We sincerely look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is in a good location and very easy to explore Saigon on foot or catch taxis if necessary. We found that some rooms are certainly better than others, as we were initially given a very small room on a lower level with no window. It was quite dark and we felt claustrophobic. After one night we asked to change rooms and paid a little extra to upgrade to a much bigger room on the 11th floor (one of the deluxe rooms) which was very spacious and light with great views of the city. The bathroom was also much better. We found the staff to be helpful and accommodating with our request and once we changed rooms, we had a much better stay. We found the breakfast to be decent with both Western and Asian options.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a window on a higher floor!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline N
Dear Caroline N,

Thank you very much for your feedback

We feel honored and appreciative that you have chosen Family Inn Saigon during your trip in Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam. We sincerely look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review based on spending 4 nights at this hotel in HCMC as part of a pre tour accommodation but booked the hotel independently.

Getting there: from Tan Xuan Nhat airport, after leaving the arrivals gate veer right. There are taxi ranks there and ONLY take either a Vinasun or Mailinh taxi. Ignore all others that approach you offering cheaper deals. To get a taxi, walk 20m to the right after leaving the airport gate and approach the men dressed in all green uniform or a green uniform with red tie and get them to order a taxi. They will give you a ticket and from the airport to the hotel I'll cost 150,000VND - 170,000 VND, so have some Dongs ready.

Location: the hotel is on Bui Thi Xuan street. It is a quiet but well know street so the driver will recognise the street. The downside is there is lack of eating options and you'll need to venture towards Ben Thanh market. There is a 24hr convenient store across the road selling water and snacks. It is 10-15mins walk to Ben Thanh market and other major attractions in District 1. It would be a lot quicker but walking fast in humid 35 degree heat is difficult.

Room: if you can, upgrade to business deluxe, it's worth it! We paid $146USD for 3 nights in a business deluxe room on the 11th floor. For this price we got two double beds, a safe, closet, window (some rooms don't have windows), toiletries and a hair dryer. The air con also worked well with free wi-fi. In general the wifi is good but often drops out. All in all, the room was very good for the price. There were some stains on the sheet and we could have doe with more than 1 towel per person but for a 3 star hotel, the room quality is highly recommended.

Service: reception spoke very good English and were always polite. Taxis were always available in the front door and maps are available with clear instructions. Nothing was too much trouble including making calls to tour guides or extra laundry service.

Improvements: the lift, as others have said was slow but that's not a deal breaker (I think). Despite being on the 11th floor, some street noise could be heard.

Perks: the breakfast! The selection was amazing consisting of pho, pasta, egg station, fruits, cereals, bacon, rice, dim sum, yoghurt. One of the best breakfast spreads. There were also tea, juice, coffee, milk and a selection of drinks. During the day this 12th floor converts to a restaurant which we ate at twice. The price were, as usual, more expensive than the local streets but it was good and presentation was creative. Drinks prices are between 35,000 - 85,000 for alcoholic drinks and food was around 50,000 - 120,000VND. More than usual but not unreasonable so for convenience sake, give it ago; we did, twice!

Overall I think this is a very good and well run hotel. The location is not the best so if you want to walk less than 15mins to the markets then look at other establishments. However if you're price conscious, after a good value which allows you to upgrade, don't mind walking a bit further and after friendly service with a smile then this is recommended. Upgrade for better rooms and HCMC will be a good experience.

Enjoy Vietnam!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnhNguyen85
Dear AnhNguyet85,

We were delighted to see that you have recently recommended our hotel service here on TripAdvisor. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind remarks about our Business room, breakfast and hotel's location. I will be pleased to share your feedback with our associates to to show that their professionalism and continuous efforts for excellence is appreciated.

We sincerely look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Best regards
Brisbane
Reviewed March 28, 2013

After 24 hours in transit, this hotel was just what I needed. I arrived early, they gave me a family room on early checkin. They even arranged for a taxi to pick me up from the airport. After meeting me at the airport and setting my bag on the footpath outside the airport, that taxi driver literally ran to get his taxi. I enquired about where to get a sim card and the porter at the hotel took my phone down the street and sorted all that out for me, the phone was ready to go. Breakfast was good, catering for western as well as traditional. Loved the Pho!! This hotel is very clean and well positioned, within minutes of the market, palace and Notre Dame. Will definitely stay here next time and will recommend it to my travel buddies !!!!!C

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank plush-itt
Dear Plush-itt,

Thank you very much for ranking us five stars here on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent trip to Ho Chi Minh City and that our hotel services and facilities met your expectations. I will pass your positive feedback to our associates to inform them that their continuous strive for excellence is appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Gold Coast
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Hi All,
I enjoy writing reviews about hotels where there is a bit of an issue and the hotel staff do all they can to fix it for you. This was the case for the Family Inn Saigon or Ho Chi Minh City (which ever city name you prefer).
We arrived to the hotel a couple of hours late on a Saturday night, due to a storm in Kuala Lumpur, but that was all good the hotel had our room ready on a high floor as requested and everything seemed fine......fine that was until about 11pm when the music in the hotel or night club next door started and went through to about 6am the following morning. Not a good stat to the holiday I thought. I decided after I'd had my shower and shave I would have a chat with reception about the noise and ask to be shifted to a quieter room. This was done without hesitation and when we got back to the hotel at the end of our exploration of Saigon we were informed we'd been moved two floors lower to the eighth floor which was, as it turned out just fine although we could hear the music it was not enough to interupt our sleeping and the following noghts there was no music.
As for the hotel the staff is first class always willing to asist in any way they can continuously telling me to put my back pack on and not to sling it over my shoulder for fear of me getting it nicked by an unscroupulous motorcyclists zipping around town looking for an easy mark. The hotel is very clean, no complaints here except there is no hot water to the hand basin in the bathroom so i had to boil the jug to have a shave. Not a problem though. Thank you Family Inn. We'll be staying there agaqin when we come back to Saigon.
Cheers Bob & Barb from the Gold Coast, Australia.

Room Tip: If you are staying over the weekend it may be good to stay away from above the 8th floor due to nois...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ozbob101
Family Inn S, Guest Relations Manager at Family Inn Saigon, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Ozbob101,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable experience with us.
We sincerely appreciate your feedback with regards to the service that we delivered during your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Family Inn Saigon in the future.

Warm regards,
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here one night because we had to catch a flight from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok. The hotel is ok for a quick stop over. The staff on reception were nice and pleasant and we think the hotel was in a good location it’s hard to get your bearings when you only have one day.

The room they gave us at first smelt really bad, I have asthma and it was starting to irritate me so I telephoned reception and they sent a member of staff up with a scented candle. That would have irritated my lungs more than the bad smell in the room so I asked if we could move rooms.
They dealt with the matter quickly and moved us to a family room which was much bigger and smelt absolutely fine.

We headed out in to the city for a walk around but the heat soon got too much and we took rickshaw ride around the city. This is actually a very pleasant way to see everything the drivers go at a nice steady pace so you can take pictures as you go.

You sit in a large seat in front of the driver so it’s a bit odd when you come to the roundabouts because they just edge their way into the flowing traffic and you are the first in there but you get use to it and everyone seems to glide around each other without any fuss.

We asked at reception if there was somewhere we could go and shop and they arranged a taxi for us and we went to a to a big market place and got lots of bargains!

When we came out of the market we found our own taxi and he took us back to the hotel but he tried to charge us well over the odds for the short journey, much more than we paid to get there. He actually locked the car and would not let us out until we paid him. If you need a taxi ask your hotel to help you book the correct taxis so you don’t get ripped off.

We dined in the hotel restaurant but the service was poor and the food was not up to much either. There was only us in the whole restaurant so not much atmosphere. It does however have a nice view over the city as it’s situated on the top floor. We only had a quick breakfast in the morning because we had a flight to catch but what we had was adequate enough and there was plenty of choice.

This hotel was reasonably priced and fine for a quick stop over but I don’t think I would rush back to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple