All reviewsben thanh marketbackpacker areapham ngu laotour groupdouble roomstayed nightsstreet foodhcmctoursbathtub
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just came back on 26Oct'12 from HCM and eager to share one of the good hotel experience.The hotel lobby is simple and small, with some sofa and PCs for hotel guest. Wifi was good thru out the stay. The reception can speak simple English and check in was done in less than 10 min. I have booked a Deluxe room and would said that the size is comfortable for 2 person. The towels provided got a very nice smell which I kind of like it, not like some hotels the towels got strong bleach smell. Room come with 37" Samsung LCD TV.The breakfast spread is ok with about 10 food choices. I like the soup noodles which they prepared on the spot upon request. Location is about 15 min from the Ben thah market but nearby there are couple of food outlets which sell local food. No swimming pool in the hotel. Overall a nice budget hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DesmondChua
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed for four nights in this hotel (Premier Room) and my views are as follows:

1) Hotel Location:
Decent 20-30 mins drive from Airport. It is located in District 1 - opposite the backpackers street. Decent location but not fantastic. It is about 15-20 mins walk to Ben Tanh Market and about 30 mins walk to Dong Khoi & Main Shopping Street. As it is located in front of the main road, getting a taxi (Vinasun) from the hotel is very convenient. There are a few shops/coffee place/mini market nearby the hotel, so in all not bad.

2) Hotel Building & Impression:
OK/decent from outside considering this is only a 2-3 star hotel. Decent lobby, decent check in/check out speed, staff speaks limited english but it is understandable/acceptable, bellboys available to help with luggage which is good.

3) Premier Room (Room 401)
Very compact room with limited space available to move around the room, huge window overlooking the park, new flat screen tv, a mini fridge which was ok/pretty standard. Compact bathroom with bathtub and rainshower. Unfortunately, the shower curtain is dirty, the rainshower is leaking (can hear water dripping sound from time to time), toilet seat sliding on on one side of the toilet bowl/not straight (going to spoil soon), inconsistent hot water during water and the mattress and pillow provided could be better (mattress was firm/cheap quality). Kettle was provided in the room but there was no three pin plug/socket available for the kettle (useless). However, the air-conditioning system working all fine/good. Considering this is the premier room, it was a total disappointment. Better off to stay at the Deluxe Room.

4) Hotel Breakfast:
It was buffet style - decent food spread, decent breakfast room and space. Tables are always available for us during our stay - not crowded. However, the breakfast room is stuffy at times (lack of ventilation). Food tasted very average - some of it were awful to be honest.

5) Staffs/Service:
Overall - very average service from staff. On our final day, our tour guide came to our hotel in the morning to drop off something for us at the hotel reception. The hotel reception forget to pass to it to us although we have asked the hotel reception many times on our last day whether our tour guide/or did anyone leave anything at the hotel reception to be passed to us.

6) Overall:
i)Don't stay here unless you plan to spend many evenings during your trip at the Backpackers Street in Saigon. Would be better off to choose a hotel which is located near/at Ben Tanh Market or nearer to the central shopping district.
ii) Don't book the Premier Room (401) as the room is not special at all/no difference from the deluxe room except that the Premier Room has a window with a view overlooking the park (which is not fantastic at all).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank FrenchRemix
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed in this property for two separate nights as a stopover to visit the seaside city of Mui Ne. Having stayed in many other hotels around here, I must say this hotel is totally worth the money spent... I have booked this accommodation via booking.com for a price of USD38.50 per night, which compared to the other hotels are relatively cheaper. I was very skeptical about the hotel because of the low rates, but after reading fellow tripadvisor travellers' comments, I felt a little "safer". My journey as per below.

27 Sep - I arrived late afternoon at the hotel, proceeded to check-in. I was greeted by a very friendly front desk staff (male) who informed me he had upgraded by room to a Premium Deluxe which had a very big window facing the park. Upon completing the swift check-in, my luggage was carried by the bell-boy who did a quick briefing of my room like where the kettle, towels, safe deposit box was. After a small tip, he left and I was very impressed with the room. Although not very spacious, it was clean with modern Samsung "37 LCD Television, kettle, bathtub with rain shower, etc... The problem came when i took a shower. There was no hot water, so i tried my best to shower quickly, but next moment, the water was boiling hot and no cold water! Other than this, the corridor is not air-conditioned so it was quiet stuffy but who cares.

30 Sep - After a tiring journey from Mui Ne to Saigon, I reached the hotel at noon, but this time I was greeted by a front desk staff who didn't care much to attend to me. I felt as if I have entered the wrong hotel. They did not smile, as if I was nobody to them. Being allocated to a deluxe room on the 5th floor, the same bell-boy took my luggage up. Upon opening the door, oh my, it was a mess! It stinked and wasn't cleared from the previous guest! The bell-boy was also shocked, he really had a scared look on his face, and rushed to grab the phone and call the reception. He kept apologizing and brought me to another room on the second floor. this time, no free upgrade, so it was really different from the first night i stayed here. Smaller room, smaller window. But, still with the good (cold, which was good!!) air-con, big TV and bathtub. They also arranged a private transfer which costs USD12 but a new Toyota Axio..

PRO : Good location, good hotel rooms with excellent amenities. It deserves a four star rating.
CONS : Only if all the staff were good. Otherwise, I think there's no cons ;)

Room Tip: Get a high floor and if you have a budget, get the Super Deluxe room with the big window facing the park. You'll love it !!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed 15 nights during August and September and as twice before never encounted any problems with staff or the room. Hotel in a great area for restaurants, shopping and early morning walks in the park directley over the road. Staff seemed to work long hours but always happy especially at breakfast and 2 girls Hoang and Nguc always very helpfull.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed there for 4 nights. The staff was really friendly and very accommodating. Great location too, just across the park and 4 blocks away from Ben thahn market. A lot of taxis in the street too. And very safe location. Breakfast is only just ok. Very clean and we stayed in room 201 which has a good view of the park. Nice to just sit and observe the area at night. Will certainly come back if I return to saigon!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family