“Lots of love to Vy”

Vy Khanh Guesthouse
Sandakan Town, Sabah, Malaysia
“Lots of love to Vy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Is a great great place to stay :-) It's suitable for all guests who are searching for a budget cost or low cost to stay in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam. It's located in a strategic place where you can find anything you want like 24 hours of shop, a cafe, food and the tour service. Quite and feels really peace to stay in. The room was perfectly clean and complete. Credit to Ms Vy with her friendly attitude, easy deal and helpful. We totally respect to her for giving an advice. She also gave the good suggestion (must do) for walking around in Ho Chi Minh City. Double thumbs up! Thanks to Ms Vy and family. We gonna miss you all..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Schoffal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Basic guesthouse with everything we need. Located in an alley with shortcuts to the most happening drinking area ;) quiet at night which is what we longed for good rest. Owners are very very friendly and the town map hand drawn by Ms. Vy is so useful and I personally think that is much better than any other maps I have. The place is very clean and bright, and we feel very safe in there. If you arrange tours or airport transfer from the guesthouse, the owner will ask you to wait in the guesthouse, and she will confirm if the guide is a real one not a scammer :) Lovely vietnamese coffee every morning by the owner that made my day! Definitely will recommend this to my friends!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ryannelai
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Vy Khanh guesthouse is a lovely place situated in the heart of hcmcs backpacker district. It's a bit hard to find as it is located in a narrow alley off the main street (bonus it is super quiet) but Ms Vy the incredible friendly and helpful owner will wait for you at the main street if you don't find it (she also organises an airport pick up for 15 $). Her English is quiet good and she will give you lots of advice and hints. Room was perfectly clean and spacious and we couldn't have wished for more. Unconditionally recommended!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Jascha L
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

This review is long overdue. I stayed here with 2 of my friends. All of us enjoyed it. I would say one of the very best budget hotel we have ever stayed. Ms. Vy is very accomodating and friendly. The room is very clean and with LCD tv, what more can I ask for. The bottle water in the room is cheap too. I enjoyed the coffee they made me every morning. Sometimes there is banana on the table as well. The hotel location is superb, walking distance to Ben Thah market and most of the eateries shops are situated nearby. I especially enjoyed the morning breakfast along the alley of this place. I have one of the tastiest beef noodles and very value for money. The stall is just behind this place, walking distance 2 mins. I sat with the locals to enjoy the noddles. Talking about experiencing their cultures.
Those who want to go for local tour can ask Ms. Vy to book for you. The tour is value for money. I went for the Mekong rever cruise only USD10. Fantastic tour and I enjoyed every moment of it.
I have never expected HCH to be such a nice country but it has exceeded my expectation. I hope to come back again and definately my choice of hotel is this.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Realman88
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was a solo traveler and I am very glad I booked my accommodation here. I sent an email to Vy Kanh and she immediately responded. She was very patient answering all my queries via email and was very prompt. She arranged for my airport transfer and tours. The tour rates are pretty much standardized. It is better to book it directly at the place where you'll be staying. As for me, It was a hassle-free vacation with Vy Kanh doing all the arrangements.

I stayed at the second floor near the kitchen. I like the room and the cr. It was very clean. The bed is large enough and good for two people. The room has the amenities like aircon, cable tv, a small table, a mini fridge, a night lamp post, and a cabinet where you can hang and put your clothes. They also have a hair dryer and you will be provided with toiletries such as toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo and tissues. Towels are changed everyday.

Although they do not serve breakfast, I am touched by the family's kindness and graciousness. In the morning, Vy Kanh's mom will give me a cup of hot coffee and a fresh banana. One time while I was resting and checking my emails at the common area, she gave me a homemade gelatin which I ate with gusto and an Iced Coffee which tastes good. She also taught me how to use the Vietnamese filter coffee and how to make the proportions to make good Vietnamese coffee.

Vy Kanh (the daughter for which the guesthouse was named) was very helpful. She gave me a detailed map and gave me tips on where to eat and shop. She also offered to accompany me one night when I seemed not able to know the location and she feared I might get lost (I was about to go to a coffee shop to buy lots of coffee to bring home). Of course I declined since I already have a detailed map with me and besides I want to explore on my own : )

What sets this apart from other guesthouses I've stayed in was the kind treatment that the family extends to their guests. Being a solo traveler, I was deeply touched by their good treatment and kindness. I felt so safe and secure staying here. I felt like a member of the family.

Overall, I highly recommend this place. May Vy Kanh and her family be showered with more blessings...True enough, they lived up to their motto "Come as Guest, Leave as Family "

What sets this apart from other guesthouses is that Vy Kanh and her mother were kind, helpful and accommodating.

Room Tip: Just book your tours with them so it would be hassle-free
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Joy Lynn B
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is easily one of the best budget guesthouses I have ever stayed in. The rooms are spotlessly clean and full of the mod cons you expect from a mid range hotel. The owners, specifically their daughter, are so kind and helpful, always offering tea and coffee, fresh fruit, and even a home made creme caramel one afternoon! it's true, the approach to the guest house isn't so nice, but this is downtown Ho Chi Minh and is to be expected but please don't let it put you off! A fantastic find, I will definately stay there again if I go back to HCMC.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Carla S
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great base for your travels in HCMC.

ROOMS - 4 stars

I got a single room for $16, on the second floor right across from the kitchen. It was very clean, no mosquitos (even though there was no net, they cleaned very well every day and sprayed mosquito repellent), provided all sorts of amenities (including shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste), and fairly fast wifi. My only caveat was that there was only one small window, so room was kind of dark most of the time, which I was fine with.

Note that there are people checking in and going through at all hours of the day (and later into the night), and that the guesthouse staff are also cleaning, cooking, etc. so it can be kind of loud. In particular, I would recommend asking for a room on the second floor or up and avoiding the one room on the first floor - that is right next to the check in area where people/staff hang out, sometimes the TV is on, etc. and so it is pretty loud all the time.

STAFF

The guesthouse is run by a small family (a mother, father, and 2 daughters) who are all really helpful. They give you a map upon arrival that is well marked with good places to go (fruit shop, restaurants, gyms, bank ATMs, etc. - note that all hostels in this area give out this map - it is very standard - but Vy Khanh goes to the extra effort of marking it with areas they specifically recommend), give good directions to places, have free motorcycle helmets for your use if needed, will make you a strong cup of what may be the best coffee I had in Vietnam every morning, and will give you all sorts of great snacks if you stick around (e.g. bananas to take on trips or once while I was sitting around on the computer waiting to meet up with a friend the mother gave me a cup of a great lotus/ginger dessert).

Super responsive - quickly did laundry for me, cleaned the rooms and sprayed mosquito repellent to make sure there weren't any, etc. Also arranged a taxi for me from the airport, and then met me at the entrance to the alleyway at 241 Pham Ngu Lao to take me to the hostel (it would be really hard to find on your own!). They are also super responsive to email.

AFFORDABILITY

Pham Ngu Lao is the backpacker district of HCMC, and there are probably over 50+ different hostels in this area. Vy Khanh is a litte expensive for what you get - I met other travelers who also had single rooms w/ bathrooms but were only paying $14 a night or even $12 a night. But these hostels don't have as strong an online presence, so you couldn't book ahead of time....but if you don't mind not having a room arranged ahead of time, you can probably hop in an official airport taxi to Pham Ngu Lao and then walk around for 10-15 minutes to get a hostel.

They also arrange half-day to multi-day trips with Delta Adventures, the low-cost mass trip operator that runs trips everyday filled with passengers from the Pham Ngu Lao hostels. The trips are OK (I would only really recommend the Cu Chi tunnels trip), since there are usually 40+ people there and it seems really mass-produced and full of stops at random shops to get you to buy things - think busloads of Chinese tourists but with twenty-some American/European/etc. backpackers instead...They will also arrange bus tickets to elsewhere in Vietnam or to Vietnam.

Note that Vy Khanh will take a 10,000+ ($0.50) cut off of your arranged trip and bus tickets. You can also buy these directly at the Delta Adventures office or bus (e.g. Mekong Express) offices throughout Pham Ngu Lao for less. But if you book with Vy Khanh they will be more helpful if you decide to cancel, etc. and won't pay until you check out of the hostel - whereas otherwise you have to pay up front and would have much more difficulty canceling, changing dates, etc...

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo