“small place with family friendly atmosphere”
Review of My My Arthouse

My My Arthouse
Ranked #290 of 959 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stay there a few days after our long flight, at first we got an wonderful airport pick up service from hotel, with nice driver. Then when we arrived at hotel, a welcome lady_hotel's owner there to let us checked in, gave us map and explain everything in the map and what you should do or shouldn't in the city, important for girls like me that you shouldn't carry your handbag out on street cos you may get robbed like the owner usually to remind us all the time whenever we went out for food and drink, She take care us really well like a Mom... She also can book tours and bus to over Vietnam. We really enjoy our stay here and certainly recommend it to all our friends and anyone we'll meet on our trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 3, 2013

The mother-son team here are a total joke. On arriving, despite having emailed days in advance to reserve a room, I was told to wait, and was left waiting for 20minutes while the owner chatted to his mum, then went on the computer, then chatted to some girls about Cambodian politics. Eventually I was told I had a bed on the 6th floor. So I asked if the owner would help me with my luggage. He strapped my suitcase to a crane which was lifted up to the 6th floor. He didn't come up to help me unhook it from the crane which was just in an empty stairwell over 6 floors! So I had to ask a guy from the dorm to help me out.
Then after I'd settled on my bunk for an hour or so two girls walked in claiming I was on one of their bunks. We went down to management to ask them to sort something out, they said they would sort out another bed. What this ended up as was a maid coming up with a very thin roll out and a pillow. We looked at each other and of course no one wanted to take it. We asked the maid to send them manager up, as we didn't want to face the 6 flights of stairs again. No one came. We went back down after a while to find both the mother and son were out. By this point it was nearing 11pm, I had been up all day due to coming in on the night bus and the other girl had to be up early for a flight. Basically this dire situation was just left up to us to deal with. Shoddy management.
I find the management here speak perfect english when it suits, and none when it doesn't. And they just don't seem to care, they take so much time doing everything and really seem very lazy.
$5.50 is definitely not worth it for these rubbish dorm rooms, especially is someone ends up on the floor!!
The rooms are shoddy, the stairs are a problem, the management is terrible, the breakfast is crappy but the one upside is that the location is great, it's very central. However, be aware it is down a dark, slightly dodgy alleyway, which can be very intimidating for solo female travellers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank HollieW88
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week in July 2013. I was hoping to write a good review for a small, family run hostel in a central location but am overwhelmed with the traumatic experience my friends and I had on checking out.

Upon checking in, the owner who has a fair grasp of English and good local knowledge of the city, insisted on taking our passports stating that it was VIetnamese policy to do so. It was only later in the week that I noticed at breakfast that the owners had left a small basket out in plain view amongst the kitchen/owners living quarters in a small red basket.

Honestly, I spotted the basket out at all times of the day and in different random places. When I handed it over I would never believe anyone to be so careless with so many valuable documents. They had a safe which they only kept dollars in.

Anyway, on the morning of check out, long story short, my friends passport was not there. The owners were entirely in phased for the start of he ordeal. My friends and I ransacked the ground floor looking for it amongst the heaps of crap. They didn't even have a locked filing cabinet. Not only did they not search themselves but they did not offer my friend any comfort, water or offer to help. I had to demand they let us use the phone to contact our embassy. Only when we mentioned the police, did the owner pipe up the idea that one of us had taken it previously, which we were not allowed to do. The owner of the lost passport is still stuck in Vietnam and has lost most of her holiday.

If that was not enough, we have just received an email from another Spanish girl also staying at the hostel who has just gone through the same experience. The owners have the audacity to infer we have the girls passport and have given out our personal details to a stranger.

Both girls whose passports are missing have dark features. Read into this what you will, but passports of certain looks are valuable in Vietnam.

The security there is frightening and the experience has put me off staying in Ho Chi Minh ever again. Our holiday plans have been ruined because of these careless, uncaring owners. Do not be tempted to chance it

6  Thank CailineRua
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The service here was amazing! As soon as I booked I received an email direct from the hostel with useful information, directions and how to avoid scams when we got off the bus. Kim was so helpful and friendly, giving advice on where to go/ what to see and was always worried about our safety when walking around the city. Free wifi and use of computers and $1 breakfast. The dorms were nothing special, but clean and tidy. Great location, just off the main backpacker strip near bars and resturants.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Very central location. Great facilities, awesome clean rooms, nice hostel with family run business, nice lady owner with many good advices and she can book tours for you at good prices better than other travel agencies and pick up at the hostel. Good laundry service, exchange money,...

Room Tip: Book tours at this hostel, it's excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We were highly impressed with Kim who was extremely helpful even before we got to the hostel. He personally emailed us the details on how best to get there from our drop off point which proved very useful. He gave us loads of info on places to go and eat etc. The hostel itself was clean, well located and comfy. Would recommend!

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I booked the hostel it was easy peasy! Got an email straight away from then giving me directions and telling me to be safe at the bus station! I believe this was such a nice addition! Kim was so helpful with everything from what to do and where to go! The room was nice and clean and the location could not have been better.