“1 night stay- 170 USD- Big disappointment”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Villa Romaine Restaurants & Bar
Ranked #1,807 of 4,999 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: It is difficult to beat this romantic setting along the Saigon River. Its spacious gardens and airy terrace makes it a tranquil location where everyone feels relaxed and right at home. This is also the place to be if you’re in the mood for authentic Italian cuisine, not far from that of the traditional restaurants of Roma. Whether you’re craving seafood, homemade pasta, pizzas baked in a wood stove or lamb shop, all based on exemplary produce, carefully handled to extract maximum flavor. Mouth watering dishes with attractive names like Seppie in Insalata, Tortelini in Brodo, Agnello Scottadito or Agnello Scottadito… Fantastic food all aided & abetted by charming staff & great location. The bar is also the perfect place to meet friends or for coffee break while watching silent boats pass by… So close to the city center but a world apart!
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Eventhough we are living in HCMC, we stayed at the hotel for 1 night.
I had booked this hotel as a surprise for my bf and we were really looking forward to a romantic and nice weekend. Nothing else then good food, sun and relaxation.

We arrived with high expectations but I have experienced better stays in far lower priced hotels within Asia and far better food in HCMC.

The rooms are cute french style, with big wooden beds but very, very small and our room was very dark (pool view room 170 USD per night).

There were constructions around the hotel and lying on the pool was everything but relaxing. And that was actually why we stayed there: to escape the city noise.

We had dinner at the restaurant outside on the river. At this evening a big group of 20 people had their Xmas dinner there. Maybe that's why the staff was overwhelmed by too many guests. They didn't bring our starters, they brought wrong food, the salmon Carpaccio was warm.
I had a pizza which was below average.
The restaurant toilets? ... I couldn't even close the door!

I was very disappointed.

The breakfast the next morning was to be honest: a joke.
You can choose from around 5 breakfast options on the menue.
I had yogurt with fruits. Well, not much can go wrong with that.
My boyfriend had the egg Benedict which was nothing else but boring and tasteless and with this kind of processed ham which you can buy here in Coopmart.
The bread basket was tiny with 4 small pieces of bread and the worse: the baguette came frozen inside and we had to ask the staff many times to bring us new ones.

Especially with having great sources like Annam supermarket and Voelker bakery so close by, how can the food be so bad?! I'm wondering.

I don't know...maybe it was just bad luck and the whole weekend wasn't "our" weekend but we left very, very disappointed.

Looking back, I wouldn't go there again.
The pool view room (a tiny window towards the pool) was 170 USD per night (via agoda) and for that money you can also book a flight for 2 people to a nicer destination.

Sorry....

Date of visit: December 2011
1  Thank Ziska1

Reviewed December 21, 2011

i came there with my partner for lunch, the food is normal, nothing special , service is average. i will never come back again.

Date of visit: December 2011
1  Thank Jonh T
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We just spent only 1 time here and would not think for the second time. A nice and huge villa, but not the best service, food is ok not much impressive.
We ordered some drinks, the manager "i think" did not understand and brought us a wrong drink. There were just a few tables which are chinese and vietnamese, did not see much westerns there.
Just giving a try, i know where i should go for Italian cuisine already, we will be back to our favorite in district 1, not here!

Date of visit: February 2011
Reviewed January 4, 2011

After reading lots of wonderful reviews.....me and my finacee went down with high expectations on New Year Eve. Had our massage at Spa Authentic before heading down for dinner. Was not informed about the buffet dinner when making reservation online. Was taken by surprise by the USD45/ person without drinks price tag. (Dinner must be not bad at least) Setting and ambience was something different from the bustling city dist 1. Villa Romaine is located off the main districts.....;o Buffet Spread is limited@!!! with only 4 sections: 1) Salad corner is not appealing and appetizing at all. Hotel breakfast spread is better. 2) Pasta comes in Pene with only few sauces to choose. (Normal) 3) Italian BBQ was nothing impressive. Standard bbq food with average taste. 4) Dessert corner is
disappointing. "Dragon Fruit" on the same table is preferred to the choc cake n tiramisu
;( Place was not packed with guests leaving early and *yawning*....... Live Band and Singers were not up to standard.......cant sing@!!!
Overall experience was not memorable. Place is catered to hotel guests and expats staying there.......not worth. My 5 cents worth.

Date of visit: December 2010
1  Thank Happyluck23
Reviewed January 3, 2011

This restaurant is definitely over-rated! Decided to have my dinner at Villa Romaine after my massage session @Spa Authentic on New Year Eve(Happy and satisfied). Firstly, i was not advised on the buffet dinner. Initially, the ambience was quite romantic but the invited "band and singers" spoilt the mood ;( Me and my partner were frowning throughout the dinner. Buffet Spread is limited with only 4 sections: Salad, Pasta, BBQ and Dessert. Presentation is not impressive. Feels like "pot luck" outing. 1) Salad bar was not appealing and appetizing at all. My hotel breakfast salad spread is alot better.
2) Pasta comes in Pene with few sauces to choose from; very average. 3) Italian BBQ is nothing great. Food selection and taste average. 4) Dessert corner is not satisfying; i supposed the "dragon fruit "is better than Tiramisu and choc cakes! The whole place was not fully crowded with guests leaving early and *yawning* Probably that's the best alfresco ambience you can find in HCM away from the busy city. I guessed the place is catered for resort guests and expats satying in Dist 2. Maybe its not my cup of tea..do manage your expectation if going. My 5 cents worth. ;0

Date of visit: December 2010