“Great hotel; the location is "different", but it worked for us.”

and 1 more site!
Ma Maison Boutique Hotel
Ranked #40 of 466 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Most visitors to Saigon stay in District 1 - a polished, developed area full of office blocks and designer boutiques. This hotel is located in District 3 - a workaday residential area, which feels like a different city from District 1. When the taxi drops you off, you walk down a tight, busy alleyway, and the first time you are guaranteed to feel that you have come to the wrong place, but we quickly got used to that. Visiting anything in District 1 (where most of the sites and restaurants are) requires a 10-minute taxi ride, but those are cheap, and the hotel staff help to flag down a trustworthy meter taxi whenever needed.

Rooms are very clean and comfortable, the breakfast is delicious, and service is exceptionally helpful, honest and flawless - something we came to appreciate more and more as we travelled to other areas of Vietnam later on. We would not hesitate to recommend Ma Maison to anyone who, like us, is not bothered about not staying in District 1.

Room Tip: There is no lift, so the upper floors require a climb up some very steep stairs. We got the impressi...
2  Thank NDLondon

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Ma maison

Ma maison is a classic boutique hotel. Although I am wondering what the line between bed and breakfast and boutique hotel lies.

The journey out from district one takes you through the swamp like quagmire of mopeds and chaos. Upon arriving at the address, there is little sign of ma maison hotel, until you spot the ma maison hotel sign. You walk down a back alley wondering whether the strong smell of urine comes from the dogs and chickens, or previous guests who are starting to doubt their choice of hotel as they wander past some squalid conditions.

Upon entering You are greeted warmly by Natasha, and quickly made to feel at ease with a glass of juice and some fruit. A delightful welcome. The rooms themselves are clean and well equipped. The stairs are a pain in the bum given the heat.

We stayed for two nights, and nothing was too much trouble for the hotel staff,  who responded to every request with genuine care.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ducksnuts
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a second review based on my experience with them after I posted the review. The owners responded to my first review telling me my review is not true. I am responding to that, and including my experience on the second day.

- The owners told me that the reason why I am upset with them is that I had a horrible encounter with other people before I met them. There was no horrible experience before I met the owners. My experience in HCM, before and after that, and my previous experience in Hanoi two months back, are nothing short of wonderful. I did have a horrible experience with Vietnam 10 years back, but I can gladly say that stigma is long over. Staying in Ma Maison is an isolated case and I don't hold this against the country or the fantastic people I met. The guesthouse I stayed at after was wonderful too, with a really nice auntie who was honest, straightforward, and easy to understand, despite her broken English.

- The rooms was passable. It's nice. Small but okay.
- The alley leaves something to be desired. Looks like a rat alley but no rats in my encounter. A guest posted here that he/she did see one.
- It was a misunderstanding from my part on the passport. And yes, I was uncomfortable for a stranger to hold it without explaining clearly what it's for, because it was unprecedented.
- Natasha was loud and condescending in her explaination. She said Europe did this. Untrue. As I said in my previous review, I have been the world over, and only Russia did that, and it was our tour guide who kept it for us. Again, my factual personal account. But I didnt challenge her instruction. I challenge the DELIVERY. She was condescending and rude as if She is scolding me like a schoolchild. When I said, "No worries, Im tired, she just kept going!". ANd yes she answered me hastily on my inquiries.
- My feet felt itchy because I cant wear my slippers. True. I also said the place is reasonably clean. It's an impartial presentation of facts.
- Location - it is inconvenient - a cab ride away. So if I am tired and want to go back, need to cab it again both ways. Now I can even attest to it since I stayed in District 1. District 1 can be quiet too, depending on the area. And I saw real vietnam with locals too. So it is what it is.

My horrible experience the day after which I would like to update:
- The next day the uncle was passive aggressive in his dealing with me. At 7am, he asked how was my sleep. I said, "It was okay, but the aircon was really noisy." He walked away. Yes, he just did
- At 8 am, I asked him to come up.
- At 815, he hasnt, and I needed to do my business. So he told me he came up but I wasnt there.
- I asked him to come up but he said he was busy
- I asked if I could talk to Natasha as his English is challenging to understand. He refused and said Natasha is busy and will be in by 10
- I waited until 10.
- He came up eventually and told me it's such a little noise only. And when I asked if I could transfer. He said, "We are full. And we have a lot of customers. And no one complains."
- And No natasha at 10. He said 11. Then he said PM. I was so furious at this point that I yelled at him. That I admit to. I didnt disrespect their staff as Natasha accused. Her uncle, yes. Now looking back I shouldnt. Because it gave them a reason to say guests are embarrassed by me. There was only one other couple when I had my argument, and they stayed there even when I left.

And the record holder lie, when I asked if I could leave and just refund my second night. The uncle said yes. And he said agoda was closed so he cannot process (not true). I asked him to write a letter and he did.

Guess what. They refunded only 50%. Agoda felt bad for me and shouldered the other half, but I told them it's unfair and they should get that from Ma Maison. I gave them the letter to substantiate and this is aiding their investigation now. Hope this turns out well. Initially I wanted to go to the police, but Agoda told me not to, and they will investigate internally. I do not know if I can upload that letter here, but if need be, I can send that to substantiate. I uploaded that in their facebook page but I cannot be bothered to check whether it is still there or they took it out.

I am going back to Vietnam this week, and I hope my experience is just as good as the B&B I stayed at after this. I trust this hotel is an isolated case.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank bankergirl1016
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Well, there isn't much to complain about even if you try, the location is a little tricky when first arriving but its truly a great place to stay. Nice rooms, very nice staff and the owner is excellenet. They will make sure your happy and safe, a place away from home to call home. I highly recommend this place as a personal get away.

Room Tip: If arriving by bus, avoid the local taxi, call the hotel to arrange pick up, otherwise risk being ri...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
13  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We loved this family run hotel the service was excellent. Advice on where to visit and how to get there and constant personlised attention. Ma Maison may be tucked away but being a little way out from the tourist centre meant we got to see a bit more of the locals and their way of life.

3  Thank Fiona G
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at Ma Maison for three nights in early March when we began a 19 day a holiday in vietnam and cambodia. We returned for the last two nights of our holiday in mid March.
We liked it a lot. it has a very quiet calming vibe (and barefoot culture) The look and feel is individual and artistic with very nice furniture, photos and flowers.

However, the best thing about it are the staff and the people staying in it. As it is a small hotel (12 rooms i think) you get to know all of the staff personally and they are all very helpful. Natasha runs the place and does a very good job. She organised everything for us and did it to a very high standard. She and her colleagues make you very welcome and explain everything you need to know about HCM which can be a very hard city to manage.

We chose to stay there partly because of the reviews and partly because on 4 of the 5 nights we were there we were coming from or going to the airport. Ma Maison is half way between the airport and the City Centre (district 1)

Breakfast is very good ranging from excellent pho to more traditional western style. Wi fi is good downstairs in the little bistro where you meet and talk with all of the guests. Ma maison has a calming influence on everyone - you need it in HCM

Room Tip: we stayed for two nights on the fourth floor. There is no lift. Its a good climb. We stayed in 201...
7  Thank Simongeorgep
Reviewed March 19, 2013

There ARE cheaper and more centrally located hotels to stay at in HCMC, but we chose Ma Maison for its beautiful decor and elegant surroundings - we weren't disappointed. Tasteful and chic, the air-conditioned rooms provided us with much comfort after a 12-hour flight and, although we arrived very early for check-in (7 am!), we were offered refreshing juices and a baguette with jam and coffee to enjoy in the courtyard, which was lovely. As a word to some of the reviews below, a lot of people don't understand that taking off your shoes before you enter a house or other premises is a custom in many, if not most, Asian cultures. It's not just a silly "rule" imposed by the hotel owners.

It is true that you have to negotiate an alley to access the hotel, but it isn't intimidating and I didn't once feel unsafe (and I'm the first person to feel a bit uncomfortable about these things). I also feel as though some reviewers have exaggerated the distance between the hotel and the city centre. We took the local bus (which was fun!) twice between the hotel and Ben Thanh market, which took around 20 minutes. We took cabs home from dinner on both nights we dined out and they were very cheap.

The breakfast at Ma Maison is certainly one to be praised. My partner ordered the beef pho but I was foolish enough to order the eggs and bacon (which were delicious, by the way) - I had serious food envy the whole time he was eating! The broth was homemade and mouth-wateringly tasty, giving the local restaurants a serious run for their money. We couldn't finish the fresh baguette but wanted to take it with us on the trip. Ha, who welcomed us to the hotel when we arrived, kindly and carefully wrapped this up in cling film and a paper bag, along with a knife and jam so that we could enjoy it later.

I found the staff to be very accommodating and helpful. The price is high for HCMC hotels, but when I reflected upon this during our trip, I wouldn't have preferred to stay anywhere else as Ma Maison was not only comfortable, but a beauty to look at as well.

Room Tip: We stayed near the top floor, where I think rooms might be more spacious - and we had a corner room...
6  Thank Angloyankophile