“A jewel of a hotel”

Ranked #110 of 454 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Los Angeles, California
“A jewel of a hotel”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

In my previous trips to HCM I have stayed at Park Hyatt and Sofitel. This time I was staying for 8 days and decided to look for a smaller, less expensive hotel and found Catina after searching a bit. I've been here for a week now and have nothing but praise for everything about the hotel. Breakfast has been wonderfully served, my room has been kept absolutely clean and tidy. I had a meeting at Park Hyatt early this morning and came back at 10:30 to find my room looking like I'd just arrived.
The main reception of the hotel is accessed through a long corridor with two shops, one on each side, selling jewelry and trinkets. It's not your typical hotel lobby entrance but I didn't mind at all.
The location could not be better. It's only short block down from the Opera house and on a street filled with shops, restaurants, galleries.
The main thing is that the hotel is clean at every level, the rooms are nicely appointed with fresh carpet, wall covering and good linen. The bathroom is absolutely fresh and clean.
My 8 night stay is less expensive than two nights at a 5-star hotel and I'm perfectly comfortable. This hotel is like a little jewel.

Room Tip: My room was advertised as "without windows" because the hotel is nestled right between two...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LAXtoLHR
CatinaSaigon, Sales Supervisor at Catina Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear LAXtoLHR,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.com.

We are so pleased to hear that you had good staying during your business stay in Ho Chi Minh city.

As your tips, we are in the middle of 2 buildings so we have the rooms named "no window", however, we have tried to make the no window room to be more comfortable by high-quality amenities in room as well as the bed.

One more time, we thank you for your staying with us.

Hope to have a chance to welcome you back at Catina Saigon hotel.

Ryan Nguyen Pham (Mr.)
Sales Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manila
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Being familiar with HCM City, I specifically chose this hotel for its location and and classy ambiance. It did not disappoint us. The room, with a faux window (you would not feel claustrophobic) was clean with a well-appointed bathroom. The restaurant was nice and served good breakfast. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Two problems encountered: the water drips from the wall/side of the tub to the floor when you are only taking a shower. We had to request for extra towels to line the sides of the tub. There were rats (big ones, with the kind sound they were making) running around the ceiling which disturbed our sleep. The hotel should improve their rodent control procedure considering that the building is an old one. Overall, we were happy with our stay and will go back for the next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 28, 2013

As always, I can trust tripadvisor for reliable reviews of hotels. I booked this hotel based on the high recommendation from various guests who have stayed in this hotel. It's indeed a great value hotel (I bought it under the super value deal) with all the necessary facilities. The breakfast was beyond my expectations. It's a huge buffet spread and the dishes change daily. The selection of desserts was rather impressive as well! I think what makes this hotel the best I've ever stayed in was the ernest attitude of the hotel staff. They are ever so diligent and helpful whenever you approach them. What's more, the location is at the upmarket district just across 5-star Sheraton hotel. I couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CatinaSaigon, Front Office Manager at Catina Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear addheart,

Thank you for sharing your kindly comments on TripAdvisor.com.

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay during your time in Ho Chi Minh city.

We hope to have a chance to welcome your back for next trip.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

When you arrive the hotel for the first time the entrance & reception are may make you doubt. But dont worry once you go up you find a nice clean boutique hotel.

Location is suburb.

The staff is friendly and helpful

Rooms are well equiped, spacious and clean. Down side us that the best price rooom dont have a window. For me I need to get used to that. Once U did it really didnt bother me any more.

Breakfast for western very limited choice.

I can recommand this hotel, great value.

• Stayed July 2013
CatinaSaigon, Front Office Manager at Catina Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear kooring,

Thank you for choosing Catina Saigon hotel during your business staying in HCMC.

We are delightful to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We would like to thank you again and hope to have a chance to welcome you back to the hospitality of Catina Saigon hotel.

Georgetown, Malaysia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

A narrow, long, tall hotel located very well for shopping & restaurants. A very good money changer about 50m along the road (Catina won't change currency). We stayed 3 nights, with a 1-night gap for our Mekong Delta trip: we left our main baggage with the concierge while we traveled.

To get to reception, we had to walk through 2 jewelry shops. All hotel staff were very helpful & friendly: reception, housekeeping, restaurant.

We had 2 different rooms for our stays (203 & 403) – identical other than being on different floors. This description is for both. The room was a good size, with a comfortable bed & lots of floor space. The wardrobe had hanging space & some shelves, but no drawers. The safe took a 15” laptop with ease. Lots of desk/dressing table space, & a flat screen TV. 2 x robes & slippers provided. Good wifi.

There is a ‘window’ in the room to give an illusion of being a normal room, but it has lights behind. Bathroom: good size & facilities. Powerful shower over bath. Good hairdryer.

The laundry service was very expensive. We had laundry done in Hanoi, Nha Trang & Hoi An – it got more expensive the further south we went, even when we had less items laundered!

The hotel deco was neutral & appealing. Musac was played in the hallway & we could hear it clearly in our room – we asked reception to turn it off at night & they did.

There is no bar here, but we did stop by at the restaurant after our days out for a beer. Prices were good for a city centre – compared with the same beers purchased earlier during our travels. Although the restaurant was set for dinner, we got the impression that few people used it. Apart from our breakfasts, we only had our final lunch there. Breakfasts were self serve. Good plentiful food.

As we were being picked up at 2pm for the airport, we arranged a 1pm check out, meaning we could go out in the morning & still have time to shower, change & finish packing before taking lunch.

We took our meals at Viet Nam House & Ciao Coffee – both a couple of minutes walk from the hotel.

A definite recommendation & we'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank StrayCat5
Dear StrayCat5,

Thank you for sharing your experience about Catina Saigon hotel.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your 3 days in Catina Saigon hotel. Although our most rooms have no window, however, all the amenities + bed + pillows, v.v.. are from high quality suppliers. Almost guests enjoyed the bed and the blanket, they are soft and warm (made from feather).

Because of having no window, we have to try our best in service to welcome guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your friends for next trip in HCMC.

Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Booked this hotel through Expedia on my trip to Ho Chi Minh, and was very very skeptical. First time that I relied 100% on online reviews on making a decision for searching a hotel. Took a cab from the airport and when arrived, was kinda thinking that we made a wrong choice. The lobby was abit weird as it had to go through some kinda jewelry store, and I thought that I booked some kinda rundown hotel where even the lobby was behind some other shops. Boy, was i wrong!! At the reception, eventhough they couldnt speak perfect english, but it was adequate and I can fully understand what they were saying. Check in was a breeze, and the guy who attended me and my mom was very very informative. Gave us a map n quickly highlighted places that we should and should not waste our time with. Even pointed us where to find halal food, and as a result, food wasn't an issue at all for us during our stay there. Our room wasn't big, but it was big enough. Was amazed at the standard of cleanliness of the rooms, everything was dust free, and the complimentary toiletries, wow!! The bed's super comfy, and although we got a room without a window, we didn't really mind as we were satisfied wit the rooms already. The breakfast was also good. As muslims, we were left with not much choices, but the things that we could eat was adequate enough, I especially love the breakfast waffles, that was delish!! The big plus for this hotel is of coz its location. Being right bang in the middle of the city makes everything is within reach by foot, be it food places, attractions or even shopping place. Honestly, during our stay there me and my mom only took a cab twice that is for the trip 2 the hotel, and back to the airport. Perfect for us who are juz into exploring the city and culture, believe me if youre into relaxing resorts, this isnt the hotel for you. Night life's amazing, and whats more, we love the fact that the hotel is exactly opposite a coffee place. Trung Nguyen Coffee, i'm guessing its sort of a Viatnamese Starbucks. Being absolute coffee junkies, me and my mom, we frequent the joint every moment of spare time we have. Til this day I juz couldnt forget the taste of wats probably gonna be the best coffee I'm gonna taste for the rest of my life, the G7!! Beisdes that, they have free Wifi, and the connection's excellent. Was able to communicate with family back home easily, and tell them juz how good this hotel is.

Overall, this hotel absolutely changed my perspectives on small boutique hotels. Before this, I would juz knock off these types and go for the big names when traveling. But now, I tend to go for small charming ones as well. And that's thanks to Catina Saigon Hotel. Thanks to you, I've opened my eyes, and gained massive respects for small charming hotels. I like this hotel so much that I've even bought the in room laundry bag which is for sale as a souvenir, my mom did too.

As this is my 1st trip to Vietnam. I'm not sure whether this hotel is exceptionally good, or is it all Vietnam hotels has this standard. But whatever it is, its a memorable one. Would recommend it to anybody without even a hint of doubt.

Room Tip: Don't mind the windowless rooms, you wouldn't miss it. Rooms with windows costs extra, and t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear CooShyRee,

Thank you for your valuable comments on TripAdvisor.

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed during your stay with us and you had good experiences about boutique hotel like Catina Saigon hotel.

Your comments encouraged us to do more to be at our guests' services. Certainly that Catina Saigon hotel located at Dong Khoi street, the most wonderful and attractive for tourists who spend their visiting in HCMC.

We hope to have a chance to welcome you and your mother back to Catina Saigon hotel in vacation in Ho Chi Minh city.

Sussex, England
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a nice city hotel in a great location in Ho Chi Minh City. The lobby is a little strange at first as its within a jewellery store but the hotel is clean, well presented and the staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful. We arrived at 6am and the staff gave us cold towels and a drink and were happy to look after our luggage as well as arranging an early check in for us although were were several hours before the normal check in time.

The room did not have a window but we knew that when we booked and apart from losing track of time this was no real issue. The room was clean, the facilities were modern and the bed comfortable. The aircon was great and the mini bar well stocked with drinks and fresh fruit.

For a few days in the city this is a great base to explore without breaking the bank, many of the sights are within walking distance and there is all the choice of food and shopping immediately outside your front door. For the price I can highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CatinaSaigon, Front Office Manager at Catina Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
MackSussex_England,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience about Catina Saigon hotel.

Although most of our rooms have no window, however, all amenities in room are high quality. You are right that Dong Khoi street is the most convenient for any tourists who would like to explore Ho Chi Minh city.

We hope to have a chance to welcome you back for next trip.