“Friendly and welcoming”
Review of Long Hostel

Long Hostel
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We spent 6 days at the Long Hostel in late June 2012. We really liked the hostel and spent time talking with the Long family who were happy to talk about their country and answer all of our questions. The room and bathroom were clean and tidy and the air-conditioner worked well.

Mrs. Long had sent great directions for getting to the hostel from dealing with the taxi ride from the airport to finding the hostel. She even gave us instructions to have the driver phone her so that a family member could come out to meet us on the street. We were provided with a welcome drink and some lovely fresh fruit on arrival. Mrs. Long provided us with a map of the area and plotted on it all the things to see as tourists on our first visit to Saigon. She was also able to provide a folder with various tours in it at discounted prices which we made use of.

They were very helpful when we wanted to find out about places to eat and when it came to booking bus tickets to Cambodia they sorted it all out for us and picked up the tickets as well at no charge. The night before we left we found out that we apparently needed more passport photos than we had on us and they ran me around by motorbike at 9 o'clock at night to get these sorted.

The breakfast provided was simple but quite adequate.

We would happily recommend the Long Hostel to others and will definitely go back ourselves if we are back in HCMC/Saigon as we really enjoyed our experience. It was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheryl H

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I arrived from Phnom Penh by bus at HCMC on a rainy day and walked my way thru to find this hostel only guided by the map given by Long Hostel thru email. Couldn't believe it was so easy to find! Welcomed by Mrs Long's daughter-in-law (I believe) and was served a nice glass of hot tea. She sat me down on a brief intro to HCMC with another map and gave tips on a lot of things. My room was cleaned daily throughout my stay there. The safe deposit box was very convenient coz I don't want to bring a lot of valuables when I go out at night for food. Breakfast was nice & filling. I felt very safe staying at this hostel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank rusticwanderess
Reviewed October 25, 2012

After arrving in this hectic city, we were welcomed by the wonderful Long Family, who offered us a welcome drink and snacks to eat after a long flight. Our room apparently had a few issues and so our hosts were not happy for us to stay in it, so instead asked if we would feel ok staying with Mr and Mrs Long at their home, the original long homestay. So we hopped on the son's moped and arrived down a little alley where yet again we were welcomed with big smiles. The room was very quiet and relaxing, which is rare in such a bustling, noisy city. All very clean and our hosts (Mr and Mrs Long) were happy to help us in every way possible with maps and guidance on where to go and ensuring that we were made aware of how to make ourselves safe in the city.

It was a very short walk to all the great sights of the city and local backpacking area, bars and cafes. The price of the room was great, with flat screen tv and ensuite.

Mr and Mrs Long made our first time in Vietnam feel like home. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UkPopstar
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Mrs. Long and family gave us a very warm welcome upon our arrival. While giving us maps and insider tips on Ho Chi Minh's best spots, we were offered nice cold tea and sesame biscuits (yum!). The rooms were simple yet clean (which was maintained every day by their staff), and we had access to a terrace, which is a great convenience for our smoker friend. Breakfast was also great (nomnomnom)! The family even gave us a recipe for their delicious fried noodles.

The location was prime, as it was close to (and convenient for walking, if you prefer that) tourist spots, bus stations, convenience stores, and Vietnamese cuisine. Although the guesthouse was hard to find, at first, since it is located in a back alley.

We will definitely book a room upon our return to Ho Chi Minh.

Room Tip: If you have a difficult time going up flights of stairs, ask for rooms on the lower floors since the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Megoybytes
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

although the room was pretty minimalistic it had everything we needed.

what makes this hostel quite worth it is the staff. the nicest family operates the hostel. helped us with directions, maps, and some writing in vietnamese for easier travellibg around.
also let us stay for a very low cost a half day before our flight (actually wanted to let us use a shower for free but we wanted it).

other than that the hostel is located within walking distance of the bar street which is pretty handy in the evening.
not the best location what with the close local market, but easy enough to get around.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank itay b
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was really looking forward to staying at this place due to all the great reviews but I have to admit I was disappointed. The room was OK, it was sold as a 3 person private but it clearly wasn't big enough for the double and single bed. The toilet seat and the shower head "holder thing?" were both broken. I did tell the cleaner but I think we had a language barrier issue. Each day she would balance the seat back on the toilet and we would take it off, not a big deal just a bit odd? The room also had millions of ants kicking about, I guessed that with the amount of crumbs about the place the previous guests had been having a snack party and invited all their little ant friends. As written, the Long's are all very nice but I didn't really like the fact that they take over the common area. I understand that they live there but It didn't make for a good atmosphere when all the chairs are taken by the family with curling tongs and babies toys all over the tables. I'm sure there are people that love that and enjoy the homely atmosphere, it just wasn't for me. The hostel was sold out but we never got to speak to anyone no doubt because there was no where to hang out. There is nothing really wrong with this place, the beds are comfortable and the location is great, maybe I just expected a bit more because of the great reviews.

Room Tip: If you have booked a double room, try and get the double room not the 3 bed private. The double roo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dancy28
Reviewed October 18, 2012

After booking the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel in Hong Kong we decided to mix it up a bit and go back packer style in HCMC. We chose the Long family as where we would rest our weary heads at night. I didn't actually pay for our stay here but I believe it was around 20 of the United States' finest dollars, per night. The Long family are all nice, like all the reviews say, very friendly. For 20 US you can't really expect much but I thought the room I stayed in was fine - I had a little flat screen TV, AC, fan, private shower and toilet. The only thing I would have improved in this little beauty is a shower curtain so that we you need to drop the kids off at the pool after showering you are not sitting on a wet toilet seat - small detail. Good location (I think - I got lost a lot) but it's near the bar street and lots of little food stands. If you're staying here for 2-3 nights and want somewhere to sleep and that's it then I would recommend staying with the Longs (who ironically, happen to all be quite short).

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 1st or 2nd floor, my smoking habit certainly didn't help climbing up to...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family