“Possibly the best hotel in HCMC”

InterContinental Saigon Hotel
Ranked #8 of 467 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Stayed twice in November 2009, for 5 nights total. First stay was a corner room, second a standard room.

Both rooms were a good size, and very well outfitted. Both had a small but well set up work desk, and a comfy Eames chair. Bed was pleasantly firm, with great linens. The corner room was slightly smaller, but had excellent views out two window walls (one partially blocked by an overly-large TV). The regular room additionally had sliding glass doors between the bed and bath, allowing one to lounge in the tub while watching TV.

Note that south-facing rooms look over the interesting parts of the city, while views from some north and west rooms are blocked by nearby towers.

On the negative side the corner room did have very stinky drains (I had to keep the bathroom door shut), while the ceiling lights in the other room were extremely bright - switching them off unfortunately turns off all other rooms lights, too.

The location was excellent, being outside the busiest areas but a short walk to tourist attractions and local neighborhoods.

Restaurant and bar predictably expensive, but coffee counter in the lobby has great pastries for a reasonable price.

Service was superb, and friendly without being overly-familiar.

This is without a doubt one of the best hotels in the city, although one has to question whether it is conscionable to spend this much money on a hotel room.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,594)

Reviewed November 14, 2009

We were so happy with this hotel- it's everything you would expect from the Intercontinental brand.
It's a very new hotel, only opening a month or so earlier, and the hotel's website as yet doesn't have very much information or photos- but we were 100% pleased with every aspect of the hotel.

The location is amazing - it's situated literally behind the General Post Office (a must see sight in Saigon) and next to that is Notre Dame Cathedral - from our window we could see both, a great view. It's about a 5 min walk down a charming little street to the 'central' area (with Rex / Caravelle / Continental / Park Hyatt hotels) and about 2 mins from 'Diamond Plaza' shopping centre. The location really is absolutely perfect, and a great base for exploring on foot.
The rooms were modern, stylish, spacious with luxurious freestanding bath, LCD flatscreen TV, in-room internet (complimentary) etc etc. The rooms were perfect after a long 15 hour flight to Saigon, and just what we needed- a comfortable, luxurious base.
There is also a pool, which i was unaware of when booking - a very modern glass sided pool on a rooftop overlooking the old town - amazing place to relax from the hectic city!

Really the only downside I can think of is that buffet breakfast wasn't included - it looked amazing, but expensive if not included in your price. The a la Carte breakfast menu was a bit average and expensive but satisfying. (plus there are loads of amazing french colonial style cafes / coffee shops / patisseries close by to eat at should you wish)

We are returning to Saigon at the end of our traveling in Vietnam (Saigon - Hoi An - Hanoi - Saigon) and I am about to book this hotel again for the one night I have in Saigon.
Would recommend 100%

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CharlesForde
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I went to Saigon for a short business trip on my own and decided to try the new Intercontinental rather than the usual places I stay at (Park Hyatt when on business and Thao Dien Village for personal). Intercontinental was offering very good rates so I thought why not as I have stayed previously in some of their properties in Europe and the service was quite good. So it was very disappointing to know that they only had the lower category rooms available (apparently they only opened the hotel partially). The service was not up to a 5-star standard even though I recognized quite a few of the staff from Park Hyatt and the food quality was just not acceptable. Overall, this is not a real 5-star yet, much more work and attention to detail required and I guess still leaves the Park Hyatt all alone at the top of the luxury hotels for Ho Chi Minh City.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank edgarn
Ha_Nguyen, General Manager at InterContinental Saigon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2009

Dear Mr. Edgarn,

Firstly, on behalf of InterContinental Asiana Saigon, the newest luxury hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, we would like to send you the best regards and thank you very much indeed for staying with us.

Regarding your above valuable comment, we highly appreciate your taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you. Please be ensured that it is our goal to make your experience as enjoyable and memorable as possible. Nevertheless, your comments have been recorded and we have shared them with the management and staff of the InterContinental Asiana Saigon.

We would like to inform you that we are currently experiencing the soft opening phase and all the room categories will be available in early 2010. We are also working hard to make sure you can enjoy spectacular surroundings and the level of service you’d expect from the InterContinental in this wonderful city. Please let us know whether we could have an offline discussion so that we better understand how we could address the matters you have kindly mentioned and make you more satisfied with our services.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedbacks we receive from our valued guests, like you, enable us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We hope that you will continue to use InterContinental Asiana Saigon as your preferred accommodation of choice.

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Philip Riley
Regional General Manager
InterContinental Hotels Group, Vietnam

Reviewed November 1, 2009

What a great hotel amidst the hustle and bustle of Saigon! I so looked forward to returning to this hotel after a long, hot day of sightseeing and walking around town. Given that the Intercontinental recently opened, everything was immaculate and completely spotless. The customer service was amazing too...really helpful and friendly staff but not incredibly overbearing. The Ipod docking station was a plus as was the amazing rainfall shower head and super comfy beds.

Also, it was our 1 year wedding anniversary and they gave us a complementary cake and champagne--what a nice touch!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EL_SF
Reviewed October 31, 2009

very plush. the hotel has only just opened so there are lots and lots of staff, all being friendly. Especially the man who pushes the button for the lift in the lobby. Only a couple of blocks from the centre of the city, crossing the street to get there takes courage.

Great shower. very comfortable bed and lovely feather filled pillows. Big screen TV and free internet.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ShaneM8
Reviewed October 26, 2009

This hotel is part of the InterContinental chain of five-star hotels and just opened. However, there's always water on the washroom floor after we take a shower because there's a leak in the glass doors. It took two large bath towels to soak up the water, that's how bad it was! And there's always some water on the entrance hallway because of the air conditioner. It's actually very dangerous because someone could slip and really hurt themselves. We reported to the conceirge, housekeeping and front desk. They apologize and did nothing. Very surprising for a five star hotel! Other than the lack of attention to the water problems, we were happy with the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights in October using Priority Club Points accrued over a year of living in hotels and I was so glad that I chose to stay here. I think because it has only recently opened, the staff and the managers are all working very hard to secure the brand in the city and ensure that every guest feels really welcome. On arrival, I was welcomed by the manager and the staff were very apologetic for my 'wait' at check-in (which actually was only about 2 minutes...!). This level of service was outstanding, from the cheery receptionists to the concerierge who gave me the taxi number and made sure I knew where I was going and that I would be safe in the city. Whilst I was waiting for a tour bus one morning, the concierge even offered to ring the company for me to find out why they were late.

The room itself was great, with a view over the city and all the mod-cons you would expect from a 5* hotel plus some extras like an I-Pod docking station which is very useful.

The bar had an excellent atmosphere, and I would actually describe it as almost cosy which is difficult to get in these modern hotels with expansive lobbies.

The location was ideal for the Dong Khoi area, and easy to walk to from the Pham Nga Lao area also. however I think because it is so new, not many people knew where it was and so taxi drivers on a couple of occasions took me to the wrong hotel but this will come with time as the hotel builds on its reputation.

Overall, I was hugely impressed with this Intercon, and having stayed in quite a few, I would rate it very highly indeed amongst similar hotels- mainly thanks to the excellent service, where the staff seem to want to go out of their way to help you. I would recommend this place for all types of trip and plan to return when I next travel to Vietnam.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo