“Outstanding Property”

Ranked #6 of 453 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Birch Bay, Washington
“Outstanding Property”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have little to add to the many positive reviews here, other than to note that the InterContinental met and even exceeded our high expectations on a very recent stay.

As IHG Platinum members, we were assigned a large and gorgeous corner room with great views. As we are not IHG Ambassadors, etc. we did not have automatic access to the lounge, but it was offered to us for a very reasonable upsell on check-in and we gladly accepted.

The evening lounge fare compared very well to lounges we've experienced throughout the world. The quality and variety were such that it was inevitably our evening dinner spot throughout our stay. The service is outstanding. The employees are well trained to put the customer first, and this was reflected in every inter-action we had.

We elected to enjoy the breakfast buffet in the restaurant downstairs and it was also superb.

We're already looking forward to one more overnight stay before we fly home in a few days, and would return to this hotel without hesitation on any future trip.

Room Tip: Any IHG member gets free Internet, so sign up for the program if you aren't already.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Michaela S, Director of Sales & Marketing at InterContinental Saigon Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you so much for a lovely review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and even happier that you would come and stay with us again.

Please contact me on Michaela.Smith@ihg.com before your return, I will be very happy to help with the booking.

I look forward to meeting you soon in person and I hope you are enjoying your time in Vietnam at the moment.

Best regards from Ho Chi Minh City.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Our first time in HCM and we wanted to be near tourist attrraction to avoid being scammed by taxi drivers. Yes, this hotel is just beside Hard Rock Cafe, opposite the post office, notre dame cathedral and reunification palace. Within walking distance to great eateries like nha hang ngon and hoa tuc, all served authentic reasonably priced food! Pricey room though if you compare to local accommodation startups, like 30 compared to 190 USD? But it was a very good stay nonetheless.

Room Tip: Be an IHG member to be entitled to FREE wifi
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Michaela S, Director of Sales & Marketing at InterContinental Saigon Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and for sending us your feedback.

I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Just to confirm, yes, all the IHG Rewards Club members receive free Internet, not only in our hotel but in all our nine IHG Brands across the world. Registering takes only a few minutes and can be done on line or upon check in.

Thank you once again, we very much hope we will have the chance to welcome you back soon and I am sending the best regards to Singapore.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This hotel is in a great location for exploring the city; with most of the main attractions, shopping areas, fine restaurants etc. within a walk or short taxi ride. A few notes:

Taxis: If you're an old hand at taxis in Vietnam then please ignore this section. If you're not then a few words of wisdom from my experience (not just from a trip from the airport to this hotel). You'll see taxi ranks (lines) everywhere; but you don't need to choose the one at the front (this is how it seems to works in lots of country so I note the difference). Choose the one you want and as a general rule (but there will always be exceptions) Mai Linh are the most reliable (distinctive white and green taxis). Make sure you either agree a price upfront or have the meter switched on (the latter not so reliable as you do get the occasional meter that is in a bit of a hurry - we did the same journey many times over and it could be up to TWICE the cost on some meters).

We DID NOT get a Mai Linh taxi from the airport; but the meter was on and actually when we arrived at this hotel (well, near rather than at) the price was what I had expected having researched this beforehand. The driver stopped short of the hotel and refused to pull into the driveway; pretending not to understand me at this point, so we got out and he started quoting a price TWICE that showing on the meter. As I prepared to bounce him across his bonnet (hood) you could see some nearby taxi drivers coming over to see the commotion (I assume to his aid); the hotel security guards (complete with big sticks) came to mine. I paid him (no tip) the exact price on the meter. I got quickly why he didn't want to pull into the hotel drive as clearly he can't try and pull this scam there. I appreciate these guys have to make money; and I would encourage you to tip the honest guys handsomely. I won't have this though.

Location: This hotel also has a shopping centre as part of it; with lots of restaurants in it (including a very good Hard Rock Cafe - yep we really did eat there and it was fine).

Club Rooms: Big beyond your needs I would imagine; true luxury - a real treat.

Gym & Sports facilities: As we were horrendously jet-lagged we used this at 4-5am so I can't comment on how busy it gets, but really good facilities (If you're very strong the weights won't be good for you - I'm not huge but maxed out the weights machines).

Club Dining: You have your own restaurant if you choose the club rooms with some complimentary drinks services; but it does get very busy during these times (and kids are allowed). We noticed that if you chose to have breakfast here (to feel exclusive ........) there were actually less choices than the main breakfast area.

Next time I'm in Saigon - this is the hotel for me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AndyS100
Michaela S, Director of Sales & Marketing at InterContinental Saigon Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Really happy to read you liked the hotel and the facilities. Thank you for your review.

Great advise on the taxis there. We generally recommend to use Vinasun Taxi as they are very reliable and will always have the meters on. Our bellboys are also always available at the door to help the guests with the communication with the taxi drivers. In general, there is nothing to worry about, the crucial thing (as you said) is to chose the right taxi company.

I really hope you will come back. And if you need any help with your future reservation, please drop me an e-mail on Michaela.Smith@ihg.com.

See you soon, best regards to the UK and thank you again.

Concord
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The staff at the Intercontinental Asiana Saigon are very courteous and helpful. Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure I highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Ho Chi Minh. It is right in the heart of Ho Chi Minh and many of the attractions of the city are within walking distance.

Room Tip: Always get the breakfast included with your room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your sending us your review. Really very much appreciated.

Your positive feedback in regards to our colleagues will definitely be passed on to them.

I agree with booking the room with breakfast. It is easier than looking for local breakfast, especially if the guest is new to Ho Chi Minh City and doesn't really know where to eat.

Thank you once again, we very much hope we will have you back soon.

Best regards from all of us.

The Netherlands
Reviewed May 28, 2014

this is my second stay at this fabulous hotel. this hotel has held me at hello two years ago. i did not think twice to book this hotel on my return visit to HCMC. i will keep coming back to stay at this remarkable hotel whenever i am back to this lovely city.
from arrival, you are warmly greeted and welcomed. staffs were helpful at all times. room is as usually good and comfortable, even small details like rooms ammenities such as complimentary teas is premium in quality, location unbeatable, plenty of eateries around just walking down the same street, no issue with taxi service (available around the clock), hard rock cafe is just next door, almost all restaurant in this hotel taste amazing. breakfast spread is huge with alot of local food to savour. this is the place to start with the street food if you are hesitate to try outside. staff are knowledgable and will explain each and every local delicacies i hesitated to try at first. At last, i gave in to try and did not regret being adventurous. everything taste so yummy!
this is by far the best intercontinental i have stayed across south east asia.
keep up the good job Intercontinental Saigon, i will keep coming back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
You just made our day. Thank you so much for your feedback.

We really put a lot of effort into delivering a very high standard of service and it is so rewarding to read that our efforts bring results. Ho Chi Minh City is a very busy city and our aim is to provide our guests with the feeling of tranquility and safety.

Thank you once again, I am happy to read you will be coming back. Please contact me on Michaela.Smith@ihg.com. If you have a little bit of free time during your next stay, I would love to say hello.

Best regards to Germany and see you soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel is an oasis in the hustle and bustle of HCM city. The location is perfect because it’s walkable to most of the major sites around town, following which you can chill out by the transparent pool overlooking surrounding buildings. Buffet breakfast was excellent with a very good variety and can suit different food taste/allergies. Check in was efficient but note on check out – if you wish to pay in USD or any other currency, they will convert it to VND before payment, the rate of which is at the prevailing hotel rate. I guess they have to take a cut somehow.

The facilities are excellent, rooms are comfortable, spacious and clean. Toiletries and amenities are plentiful. I would recommend this hotel again for future HCM stays.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor or pay more to stay in the executive floors - the view is amazing.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello to Sydney and thank you for the great feedback. I am so glad to read you enjoyed the hotel.

Our hotel is the newest 5* hotel in the center of HCMC and I personally believe it feels very fresh and modern.

My favorite part of the hotel is Spa InterContinental located on the 3rd floor together with the swimming pool and the gym. I am not sure if you had the chance to use it, I would very much recommend the massage treatment if you are coming back to the hotel. You will love it, that's a promise.

Thank you once again for staying with us. Please come back soon.

Regards from all of us,

Singapore
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed at the InterContinental Asiana on a recent business trip and the hotel did not disappoint. From the spacious room, to the excellent service and great breakfast spread, the hotel received all the ticks of approval and left me a happy and satisfied customer.

Check-in was a breeze, even for foreign guests, as the reception staff speak good English and the process was smooth and quick.

The room is large and spacious; do try to ask for a room on the high floor overlooking the Notre Dame Cathedral. My room was unfortunately, on the other side of the hotel and faced a condominium. It's near enough that you can look into someone's balcony. And I would also wake up to the morning sun blazing into my room at 4.30am. Not a good way to wake up.

Do check out the gym, which is well equipped, modern and spacious. It faces the pool, so if you're one to take an early morning dip, you may have to get used to a whole row of gym rats staring at your legs in the see-through glass pool.

The breakfast is also a must-try, especially the local Vietnamese section. The pho is excellent, and the local dish is changed daily, so no fear of getting bored of the food.

The only con I can think of are the pillows. The pillows that are provided are incredibly soft and flat and the only way to get a decent night's rest is to pile them up. To be fair, the hotel does provide a pillow menu which I did not try as I was too lazy to call housekeeping. But I strongly recommend getting better pillows as the standard ones are unacceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Notre Dame Cathedral, it's a much prettier view. You also avoid the mo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Michaela S, Diretor of Sales & Marketing at InterContinental Saigon Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am so happy to learn you enjoyed your business trip with us. As Singapore is only an hour and half from HCMC, I very much hope we will see you back very soon.

It is a shame you did not use the Pillow Menu. It has all sorts of pillows on it and our colleagues would be very happy to bring the one you selected up to your room immediately.

If you are coming back, please drop me a line on Michaela.Smith@ihg.com and I will make sure that your room is ready with the pillows that better suit your needs.

Thank you once again, have a great day in Singapore.