“Great location, clean with friendly staff”

Sanouva Saigon Hotel
Ranked #45 of 468 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The third of three hotels on our Vietnam trip and you couldn't have asked for a better location right in the middle of district 1 just around the corner from the Ben thanh market. The staff were all incredibly friendly and keen to make your stay enjoyable. i've read a few reviews which criticise the choices for breakfast. I am amazed, what do they want? Whilst I was there there was fresh bread, toast, 4 types of cereal, 4 types of fresh fruit, bacon, egg, sausages, fried rice, noodles, congee, some sort of beef stew, yoghurt, salad, ham and cheeses. I would have thought that anyone could make a breakfast from that lot.
The room was the smallest we had been in (905) on the top floor. The bed was pushed against the wall and it was the only hotel we had stayed in which didn't have a balcony so felt a bit more claustraphobic. The room was at the back of the hotel and looked down on peoples flats and had a real inner city feel. The bathroom however was the best that we had had, very modern and the shower was awesome.
The only disappointment was on our last day. Checkout was at 12 but we weren't flying out until 1am. It was my birthday and we were going out for a posh meal before we flew (see 3 gourmands review- awesome), I asked if there was any way we could get a room to shower in before we left and was told no problem. Imagine my shock to be shown to a toilet on the top floor next to the gym with a shower head hanging on the wall. getting dressed in a corridor was not how I expected to be getting ready for a big night out. We would happily have paid for extra cleaning to be able to use a proper room with hairdryer, mirrors etc but perhaps I should have made myself clearer.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms at the front on the road have balconies, the back of the hotel was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,571)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at the Sanouva for the first 3 nights of our trip. The room was very modern, nice looking and clean. Our room was located at the back of the hotel, so this avoided any noise from the streets. However, the rooms were not well sound proofed, and we could hear noise from the hallways all night long, which was very frustrating. The beds were hard, but this seems to be typical of all hotels in Asia, so we eventually got used to this. The staff were friendly. Breakfast was decent. Location was great because it was a short walk to the main tourist centre, but avoided all the peddlers. My partner and I might be a little precious, but noise levels are a deal breaker for us, so we probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel is centrally situated and a stone's throw from all the main landmarks of Ho Chi Minh City. It's clean and comfortable, with extraordinary attention to detail. Very importantly for us, it's very quiet and the staff went the extra mile to ensure that all our requests were attended to.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was impressed with this hotel. From the friendly front desk and door staff to the rooms this was a great little hotel. And everyone speaks English.

It is worthwhile to upgrade rooms if you can. I stayed here on a pre arranged tour for two days and then back back for two more. The first time they offered me a room beside the elevator which looked at a wall and was very dim. When I asked they moved me across the hall to a bright room with a view to the tallest building in town. On my second visit when I was offered the same dingy room I saw two more of the nicer rooms. Both were bright and spacious.

The bathrooms are marble with great showers and the bed and pillows are comfy for Asia. Breakfast was adequate with a selection of fruits, and Asian foods. Pre fried eggs were a bit of a downer. I never had any problem finding a place to sit but I was up early.

I think this is a great little hotel and definitely sets a high standard for three star. Walking distance to the market and lots of great little restaurants.

I would recommend this hotel and I would come back here next time.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location is very convenient to most tourist attractions and shopping heart in Ho Chi Minh.
The hotel rooms are quite spacious. Especially loved the bathroom with rain shower.
Only downside is the thin walls and noise from the staffs when they're walking along the stairs, it can be very disturbing from your sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, very affordable and the staff are very friendly. Only a short walk to many attractions in HCMC. The breakfast selection is good, just needs more seating for the morning rush.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Great location in District 1, which might be why you miss out on a pool. Gym is very sparse. Breakfast is very limited, with dishes rarely replaced. Apart from these cons, the hotel is very clean and modern with friendly helpful staff. Not bad for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013