If you wanna be at the center of the action, staying in cheaper but nonetheless clean, quieter and at least 3-star accomodations with a view you can't go wrong with Saigon Mini 5.
We got 3 deluxe twin rooms so we had a slight discount and paid 40 USD per room per night.
Anyway let's do the negative things first:
- When we were checking in, despite the fact that I had specifically requested for rooms on the 9th, 7th and 6th floor, they forgot our 9th floor booking and gave us 5th floor. They changed it immediately after I reminded them though. Something about our room key being spoilt (I think it was a lame excuse so let's move on).
- Although they said we would have 2 double beds for deluxe rooms, the room on the 9th floor had a double and a single. Not a big problem though since there were only 2 people staying anyway.
- The aircon on the 9th floor room was weak, it took some time to cool the room. The other rooms' aircons seemed fine. The other 2 rooms had fans too, while the 9th floor room didn't. So we couldn't use the fan while waiting for our room to get cooler.
- 2nd morning, all electricity went out for at least half an hour. I heard it's common in HCM though, so I can't fault the hotel as the buildings nearby all had their electricy cut as well. But it was rather unfortunate that a few of us were showering until the water turned cold and the lights went out all of a sudden.
- They could be short-staffed but they sure take their own sweet time answering emails.
I had to wait an average of 2 days for each email I send before I got any reply.
- There's wifi, but on the 9th floor, the signal is weak.
The positive stuff:
- The beds/pillows are so comfortable!
- The cityviews are lovely (especially from the 9th floor room window).
- You can't hear the traffic if you're staying the on higher floors.
- Very clean bathrooms/toilets.
- Very clean, spacious rooms.
- We had to be up very early the next day so we missed their breakfast, but the staff still went and bought us toast and coffee to takeaway. (we forgot to bring it along in our rush though, a pity)
- You can store your baggage with them until you're ready to take them. It's quite secure (compared to some places I've stayed at) as they give you a receipt for your baggages and only the staff is supposed to go into the baggage room.
- The computers on the ground floor can access facebook (if that's important).
- Location is 10 mins walk from Ben Thanh market (won't advise to buy much there, the vendors quote skyhigh prices compared to other places).
Wouldn't mind staying here again as I loved the rooms ^_^
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Highly convenient and accessible, SAIGON MINI HOTEL 5 is centrally located in the heart of the backpacker area on BUI VIEN Street. The location offers varied choices of eateries and shops, as well as various sightseeing offices and departure points for out-of-town tours and short trips, all within walking distance (some are just across the street). So, there are plenty of choices even late into the night. Also, the famous Ben Thanh market (around 15 minutes walking) and other well-known places of interest are all easily accessible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Saigon Mini Hotel 5 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.