“Dropped the ball”
Review of Yen Trang Hotel

Yen Trang Hotel
Yen Trang Hotel
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Seems that this place has a new manager working and the level of professionalism and friendliness has disappeared. On my last visit to HCMC I stayed at Yen Trang while my wife was in hospital because I could count on this place to be a haven away from stress for me. Or so I thought. My wife who is Vietnamese booked me into the room for 3 nights with an option for a 4th depending on whet here she was still in hospital. I returned to the hotel on the 3rd day after a 16 hour day at the hospital and discovered staff had removed all (almost all) of my belongings into the reception and checked me out of the room. They apparently tried calling one time but my phone was off (in hospital). They then spent the next half hour telling me it must be my fault before eventually putting me in a room at Yen Trang 2 for the night. I asked about compensation and was told they would work out but I need to go half half with them. I believed tis meant a half price night. But no they put me in a bigger room which I did not need or want and then told me that the upgrade was ,ore expensive but they would only charge me the cheaper room rate. At the end of my stay the price was given in USD and then converted to VND at 21000 dong to the dollar and had it rounded up to the next 100000. I have stayed here many times and referred it to many people but this trip left a sour taste in my mouth. I emailed the owner to allow him to respond before I posted this review (twice) but did not get a reply......

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Diver71au

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Very close to nice restaurants and massage etc. Travel agents everywhere. The rooms have good air on and cleaned daily. Great spots for food in same street and nightclubs go go bar and crazy buffalo 3 min walk max. Very good central to everything and price well worth it. Recommend niki trinh beauty spa around corner 84/3 bui vien st. Very professional 90min for 200,000 ($10)

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Yen Trang (or maybe the Yen Trang 2?) last month and thought it was excellent. Large room, great amenities - big flatscreen tv with cable, wifi, balcony etc, and a nice bathroom, although with the standard flooding issues as the shower is between the loo and the sink with no curtain. Not too much noise from the alley (on the 4th floor, anyway). At $22 I thought it was fantastic!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Extremely pleased w/ this hotel. The best hotel in value during my 2 months in VN from the norht to the south. All staff are friendly, courteous, helpful (thanks again Ms. Tuyet, Thao, and especially Thuan who always smile even when we came back at odd hours). I used this hotel as my hub thus got to experience different room each time and all the rooms are cleaned and good size. You will love the price too $15, $18, and $22 (the $15 one is a bit tight though). I stayed in $18 from 01/04/2012 to 01/31/2012 (on and off). Its location is perfect not too far from all the stuff but yet not too close to all those bars w/ cranking music at night. It is my oasis in the hectic HCM city. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay in the $18 room; $15 is a bit tight
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lansung
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Rooms are big and the one on the 5th floor has a balcony you can have a big party on. Bathrooms ok, nothing special and beds the same.

Inside the rooms it's nice and quiet and reception is very kind and helpful.

Considering the price at 20$ this is a great place to stay. Clean big and cheap at a good location.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Crasten
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The Yen Trang hotel staff, in particular Thao, the front desk lady, were all fabulous! Smiling, friendly, helpful, attentive, great. The rooms are small'ish but very comfortable, VERY clean and pretty quiet. The hotel in located in the backpacker district, in the heart of District 1, on a small lane off Bui Vien street, close to tons of attractions. At a mere $18/night for a single room, it's a super deal.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2011

This is one of the good hotel in the area. Good value and very friendly staff. Rooms are clean. I'd recommend to my friends

• Stayed: December 2010