“Absolutely Brilliant”

Nguyen Khang Hotel
Ranked #135 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
“Absolutely Brilliant”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

First of all I apologize for the lateness of this review - I tried to post from my IPhone whilst on the road but it didn't go. This hotel is lovely, immaculate, and very well situated in a quiet street. The owners and staff members are gracious and helpful for ANYthing you might need. We stayed with them for 5 days on our month long trip through Vietnam and they couldn't do enough to help us with any of our requests. A last minute request to arrange a private tour of the Mekong River Delta was actioned immediately and we had a wonderful overnight tour of this region and returning the next day to our 'home' in HCM. Truly a wonderful stay in Ho Chi Minh city. Thank you again so much for such a lovely dinner on our final night with you. It is a treasured memory.

Room Tip: As is quite standard for Vietnam, please ensure you request a room with an outside window if that is...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nancythecat
Cat Lam R, Manager at Nguyen Khang Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Nancy,

Thank you so much for the great review. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay. It's great to hear we're your hotel in Sai Gon. we are looking forward to serving you again .

With warm regards,

Cat Lam(Rosie)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The customer service at this hotel was amazing, they went out of their way to help us. All the staff were extremely friendly and always presented a smile. Similarly, the location was excellent and it seemed much safer being away from the main road. The rooms were also very clean, the bathrooms were in need of a little re-grouting and there was a dull smell of stale smoke in the rooms and corridors, but I think that's pretty standard across all the basic accommodations in Vietnam.

However, there were some major downsides of this hotel for us. First, they are currently renovating their laundry room on the ground floor (while they usually offer a laundry service, it is currently unavailable). This involved loud drilling and banging from 8am through to around 7.30pm (on and off throughout the day) - if you're an early riser, it's fine, and as we were out exploring the city most of the days, it didn't bother us too much. I was just a little put out that we weren't fore-warned about it prior to our stay.

The next downside is probably our own fault actually; we had asked for a quite room and therefore were placed in a middle room with no window. The lack of window was no problem but the size of the room was definitely a big problem. There was no more than a foot of floor on each side of the bed to move around. You couldn't open the wardrobe doors fully without them hitting the end of the bed. Similarly, the bathroom was so small you had to sit sideways on the toilet and also climb over it to get to the shower! During our stay, we peeked into the front and back rooms of the hotel and these seemed far more spacious and comfortable. So, when booking, I'd advise that you ask for a room at the front or back of the hotel and put up with any outdoor noise for the luxury of space to move!

The breakfast was as you'd expect from any basic hotel in Vietnam, offering only bread accompanied with eggs (cooked to your preferred style) and a few bananas.

As a result, I felt that this hotel wasn't really value for money. I'm certain we could've found a hotel with bigger rooms and no construction for a much cheaper price. I don't think I'd stay in this hotel again, but I genuinely can't praise the staff enough for their friendliness and helpfulness.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room at either the front or back of the hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Ms. Huong and the guy in night shift take good care of us. They booked our tickets to Mui Ne and Mekong bus express to Siem Reap. She even showed me where the mekong express bus office. Clean rooms and toilet. We always request for our breakfast to be take out.
Will be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nanztv
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We found this hotel using some booking website and went for it because of good price they offred and location was also handy for us. After booking we contacted them regarding some tips how to get around buying tickets for HCMC - Hanoi train. We had quite a tight schedule for two week trip so it was very important to have some things sorted before. Their reply to my e-mail was too good to be true at first, because I haven't expected they'd sort everything for us so conviniently. We stayed there also on our last night of the trip and used pick up and drop off service for the airport. Good value, very helpful, I recommend!

Room Tip: They have some rooms with no windows for the outside, so don't be surprised... It's a common...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WojtekOMB
Marikina, Philippines
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The pick up from the airport was early, and the driver was very courteous and careful with his driving. Arriving at the hotel at midnight, I was welcomed warmly by Ms Li. She did not ask for my payment right away; instead, she was concerned with what I probably needed at that time. She even gave me a glass of lemonade.
All my questions and concerns throughout my stay were addressed in the best possible way. Ms Li even accompanied me to a currency exchange place (leaving her post for some minutes), and called for a taxi for me several times. She personally prepared my dinner (noodles) one time. She also arranged a city tour for me. The other receptionist (Ms Huong) was also kind and honest. When I was about to pay for my airport pick up, she reminded me that I already paid for it when I settled my bill.

I also enjoyed the free breakfast. Like previous reviews, this is the best budget hotel in a very good location in HCM.

The only thing negative I can say is that some of the guests talk loudly along the hallway, unmindfull of the other guests. However, this is not a problem caused by the hotel personnels, right?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank joahna
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Basic but clean hotel! We had a fourth floor room which was very quiet considering the location. The staff were warm and friendly and very attentive. Only slight moan is that the breakfast was limited but the fact the staff gave advice on future travel plans made up for that.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Toolmeister100
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Pick up from the airport was flawless, on time, clean car, safe driver.

Stayed here for four nights. First night there was a problem with my air conditioner, so second day I was moved to smaller room, third and fourth day I had a big room with fantastic view - the night in the smaller room was charged at the lower price without me even asking.

The breakfast was good, the rooms were clean. The management was fantastic, everyone who works here is absolutely lovely and friendly and helpful.

When I return to HCMC in the future this is the only place I'll stay.

• Stayed November 2013