“Excellent location and rooms with friendly staff.”

Northern Hotel Saigon
Ranked #114 of 468 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We arrived at around 11pm and were greeted by friendly reception staff with chilled orange juice which was nice. Check in was easy and quick. We were in room 901, which is a corner room with great views out over the city. Lovely big comfy bed with excellent pillows, tv with a good range of English channels. There was a fridge with complimentary bottled water a few mini bar snacks, coffee machine, hair dryer and safe. The shower was powerful and warm and there were nice touches like a sewing kit, toothbrush and paste incase you had forgotten. There was also robes and slippers. The room and the hotel were cleaned to an extremely high standard throughout.
Service at the bar, restaurant and reception desk was excellent.
Breakfast wasn't the best I have ever had, there was a small selection of pastries, with very little fruit however there was a toast machine and you could order omelettes if you wished. There was a large selection of Vietnamese cuisine.
Overall the hotel is in an excellent position in the city, not even a five minute walk from the opera house and numerous good restaurants and clubs, the taxi service outside is fantastic and metered.
The hotel was quiet during our stay and we seemed to be the only English speaking people there, very good hotel and to be honest I think it deserves more than a 3* rating. I would recommend the hotel however if we returned to HCMC we would probably stay somewhere with a better breakfast.
They check your room when you are checking out, so give yourself an extra 5-10 minutes if you are heading to the airport so they can do this.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elektrochoc
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Dear Elektrochoc,

Good afternoon from sunny Saigon!
My Team joins me in thanking you for staying with the Northern Hotel for your recent holiday in Ho Chi Minh City. I would like also thank you very much for your kind comments here on Tripadvisor. It is my pleasure to hear that your overall stay with us was satisfactory and trust that you have enjoyed the comforts of the Hotel.
Regarding to your feedback in buffet breakfast, I will forward this to our Chef for their improved and professionalize services. We are working towards improving our operation and your review is a really valued source of information.
Your patronage and loyalty are very important to us. We do hope to be able to welcome you back soon and please feel free to email personally and we shall ensure your booking is all in good order.

Yours sincerely!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

When I booked our Vietnam trip I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to our hotel choice in Saigon. This place was great, good value, clean, central location and really good service. The rooms are big, bathrooms adequate and yes there's no view but we weren't there to be looking out of the window!
Nothing was too much trouble for the reception team or bell boys. We had room service on the first night after a really long journey and it was good, hot and delivered fast.
Within about a 5 min stroll you have a choice of restaurants with many of them listed on TA as well.
Breakfast was good, just request your eggs or noodles from the staff and they deliver it to your table, everything else is self service.
I have no hesitation in staying here again

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clairem1
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Claitem1,

Xin chao!
My Team joins me in thanking you for staying the Northern Hotel for your recent holiday in Ho Chi Minh City. I would like also thank you very much for your kind comments here on Tripadvisor, it is surely our endeavor to ensure each Guest has a relaxing and memorable stay with us.
Your patronage and loyalty are very important to us. We do hope you can visit Northern Hotel again in the not so distant future, and please feel free to email personally so we shall ensure your booking is all in good order.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel entrance looked glitzy but it is in a neighbourhood that was a mix of industrial and business with uneven and often motorcycle obstructed sidewalks. We stayed there as part of a tour package but I'm sure it's quite reasonably priced and it's only around the corner from the busy tourists street so it is actually quite convenient. It's a 10 minute walk to the Opera House and the busy shopping and tourist areas.

Breakfast is okay but probably provided he least choice among the four hotels that we stayed at on our 12 day culinary tour of Vietnam. Bread and pastry were not up to standard. You wouldn't go there for the food and it seems that no one else did. One evening, we thought we would take it easy and have dinner at the hotel. But we took a walk into the restaurant and found it completely deserted. We decided not to eat there. There are many other restaurants within walking distance.

Cleanliness and service was okay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rarecat

Dear rarecat,

Xin chao!
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Northern Hotel Saigon. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectation, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
We are working towards improving our operation and your views are a valued source of information. Indeed your comments will be again discuss on our next operation meeting in order to review and provide an appropriate training to our staff to keep up their standard.
I hope that you will give us one more opportunity next time you are visiting Ho Chi Minh City and please do not hesitate to let me know if I can assist in any way

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Arrived here for first four nights in Vietnam. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much bother. The boys at the front door were helpful and very cheerful. The room was spacious clean comfortable and very quiet considering the location. Most tourist places are within walking distance and it was fun to walk around town from here. Breakfast was fresh with a lot of variety and if you wanted freshly cooked eggs the kitchen staff were happy to do this. Overall I would recommend this hotel and the best thing was the friendly staff. Nice to come back to a hotel and be made to feel welcome.

Room Tip: Stayed on the ninth floor, no view but very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Karen H,

Xin chao!
Good morning from sunny Saigon.
Thank you for taking time to share your wonderful experience at Northern Hotel most especially our freshly cooked egg. Our team always looks forward to every comment submitted by our guests. Your comments are catalyst to continuous improvement of the delivery of our products and services.
It gives us great pleasure to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Rest assured that we would maintain or even exceed the experience you had with us on your next stay in our Hotel. We shall cascade to the team your valuable comments. Please feel free to contact us at your most convenient time should you have any suggestions on anything to make your next stay with us a more delightful experience.
Your patronage and loyalty are very important to us. We hope you can visit Northern Hotel Saigon again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Our group arrived at the Northern Hotel after touring through Vietnam for more than 2 weeks. Although the reception area looks rather nice, it is best to stay away from this hotel. That said, the hotel is centrally located and close to all the sights Saigon has to offer. The rooms are very small; badly need renovation and there is absolutely no view whatsoever except to a filthy dirty wall belonging to a very close neighboring house. No view of the city at all which is really annoying. I will not comment on the bathroom – it was one of the lesser nice facilities available in Vietnam and actually rather a shame to the otherwise pleasant hotels we encountered during our trip. Hot and cold water were a gamble – sometimes yes, most times no.
The breakfast was o.k. and offered a variety of European and Asian food – something I always enjoy as I like trying different cuisines. But as already mentioned by another rater, there was no egg station which made the eggs etc. that were being held warm look pretty sad.
I will also comment that the staff was rather uninterested in assisting guests – a shame and totally unnecessary. One always had the feeling one was interrupting something important that they were just doing.
No, I would not go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear MarianneVienna,

Xin chao!
Good morning from sunny Saigon.
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Northern Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectation, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
We value constructive comments and suggestions from our guests as this allows us to maintain and improve the standard service we provide to meet the most demanding needs of our distinguished guests.
Your comments are very concerning. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments in further detail with you, so that I may be able to follow up appropriately. My contact details are below and I would be delighted to hear from you.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We arrived at this hotel three weeks into our trip through Vietnam, with a four day stay in HCMC, so we hoped for something comfortable, convenient and relaxing. Convenient it is, with a great location but once you get past the lobby, things are pretty tatty here. The rooms, unless you have a suite overlooking the front, are small, tired and with a decidedly grotty bathroom plus a view of the neighbouring hotel's window, all of 4 feet away! We asked to move after the first night as the air con blasted us with diesel fumes and cigarette smoke as we tried to sleep. Above us, someone was playing musical chairs. We were relocated without so much as a raised eyebrow, so maybe this is a frequent request, and moved two floors up to an identical room with identical view but with a bathroom featuring an interesting mould pattern and a plethora of long black hairs....nice. The breakfast was ok. Disappointingly no "egg station" and the TV badly tuned and blaring out in competition with the Richard Clayderman CD that played endlessly. When we asked if it could be turned down or off the manager refused point blank. It has to be said that we found the staff to be a little surly to the point of insouciant and we didn't feel particularly welcome. With four days in this amazing city it was a shame that we didn't have a nice place to crash from time to time. We spent as little time in the hotel as possible and would certainly have opted for a shorter stay and a nicer hotel had we had the option, and the knowledge that hindsight brings!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BarnacleBelle
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear BarnacleBelle,
First of all, I would like to thank you very much for choosing the Northern Hotel Saigon as a place of resident for your trip visited to Ho Chi Minh City, it is highly appreciated!
In the second place, from this letter, I would like to apologize for the matter that you have experienced at our property.
From management meeting, I would like to clarify for what happen during your stay with us. On day you arrival, the Hotel arranges room 508 (non-smoking room), for some reason, you ask to change another room to 708 is non-smoking as well. On 7/March/2014, again you want to change room, and our reception arranges room 907 (non-smoking room) until the day you check out.
To be honest, I myself checked room 907, and there was no smell of cigarette inside, bathroom is in good condition as well (Even we have guests stay in this room at the moment, and they have no complain after we send guest service survey board). From our side, we really do not know what happen to you during your stay.
Nevertheless, to express our goodwill to your constructive feedback, the Hotel has sent you a gift throughout your Travel Agent, please accept it as a compensation.
Once again, I thank you for sharing your concerns, your experience and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Kindly let me know if I would be of your any further assistance
Best regards,

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Hotel has everything you need, rooms are a good size, centrally located (you'll grow to like the location as you get out and about), nice amenities (even had one adapter for their hair dryer that you could use for your needs), wifi didn't work in the room very often but it did downstairs and they had a computer for you to use, 2 free water (bottles) each day which is pretty standard but still nice, very unique ceiling in bedroom, music playing in hall way was pretty loud (I thought it was from outside the hotel at first) and eventually someone on my floor asked the front desk to turn it off.
I appreciated the nice robes they had for your use. The biggest problem with the room was when you'd take a shower, the water would run down the tiles and down along the seam to the floor. You then had to really careful as you got out. I thought it was just in my room but my friends said the same. And.....you can take a bath or shower and look out into your room with the huge plate glass window that divides bedroom from bathroom!
The hotel needs to recommend a wider variety of tours, activities and restaurants. When we asked about dining choices, it was always back to their restaurant on the 2nd floor. When it came to tours, it was from the company of the book of choices that the hotel has an affiliation with. But....those aren't necessarily the best or most convenient.
Would I stay here again.....yes!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear pgrey,
Xin chao!
Warmest greetings from sunny Saigon.
My Team joins me in thanking you for staying with Northern Hotel for your recent holiday in Ho Chi Minh City. I would like also thank you very much for your kind sharing with Tripadvisor’s readers, it is surely our endeavor to ensure each Guest has a relaxing and memorable stay with us.
Regarding to daily tour, we are going to design more option such as Saigon half day, Mekong 2 days, Cu Chi full day…etc. With our new proposal, we do hope it could meet all guest expectation, and have more enjoy a real Saigon.
Once again thank you very much for your constructive feedback to our property and please feel free to contact me directly when making your reservations so that we can ensure all is in good order.
Kindest regards,