“Grim”

Ranked #113 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Grim”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel three weeks into our trip through Vietnam, with a four day stay in HCMC, so we hoped for something comfortable, convenient and relaxing. Convenient it is, with a great location but once you get past the lobby, things are pretty tatty here. The rooms, unless you have a suite overlooking the front, are small, tired and with a decidedly grotty bathroom plus a view of the neighbouring hotel's window, all of 4 feet away! We asked to move after the first night as the air con blasted us with diesel fumes and cigarette smoke as we tried to sleep. Above us, someone was playing musical chairs. We were relocated without so much as a raised eyebrow, so maybe this is a frequent request, and moved two floors up to an identical room with identical view but with a bathroom featuring an interesting mould pattern and a plethora of long black hairs....nice. The breakfast was ok. Disappointingly no "egg station" and the TV badly tuned and blaring out in competition with the Richard Clayderman CD that played endlessly. When we asked if it could be turned down or off the manager refused point blank. It has to be said that we found the staff to be a little surly to the point of insouciant and we didn't feel particularly welcome. With four days in this amazing city it was a shame that we didn't have a nice place to crash from time to time. We spent as little time in the hotel as possible and would certainly have opted for a shorter stay and a nicer hotel had we had the option, and the knowledge that hindsight brings!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BarnacleBelle
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear BarnacleBelle,
First of all, I would like to thank you very much for choosing the Northern Hotel Saigon as a place of resident for your trip visited to Ho Chi Minh City, it is highly appreciated!
In the second place, from this letter, I would like to apologize for the matter that you have experienced at our property.
From management meeting, I would like to clarify for what happen during your stay with us. On day you arrival, the Hotel arranges room 508 (non-smoking room), for some reason, you ask to change another room to 708 is non-smoking as well. On 7/March/2014, again you want to change room, and our reception arranges room 907 (non-smoking room) until the day you check out.
To be honest, I myself checked room 907, and there was no smell of cigarette inside, bathroom is in good condition as well (Even we have guests stay in this room at the moment, and they have no complain after we send guest service survey board). From our side, we really do not know what happen to you during your stay.
Nevertheless, to express our goodwill to your constructive feedback, the Hotel has sent you a gift throughout your Travel Agent, please accept it as a compensation.
Once again, I thank you for sharing your concerns, your experience and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Kindly let me know if I would be of your any further assistance
dobd@northernhotel.com.vn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Hotel has everything you need, rooms are a good size, centrally located (you'll grow to like the location as you get out and about), nice amenities (even had one adapter for their hair dryer that you could use for your needs), wifi didn't work in the room very often but it did downstairs and they had a computer for you to use, 2 free water (bottles) each day which is pretty standard but still nice, very unique ceiling in bedroom, music playing in hall way was pretty loud (I thought it was from outside the hotel at first) and eventually someone on my floor asked the front desk to turn it off.
I appreciated the nice robes they had for your use. The biggest problem with the room was when you'd take a shower, the water would run down the tiles and down along the seam to the floor. You then had to really careful as you got out. I thought it was just in my room but my friends said the same. And.....you can take a bath or shower and look out into your room with the huge plate glass window that divides bedroom from bathroom!
The hotel needs to recommend a wider variety of tours, activities and restaurants. When we asked about dining choices, it was always back to their restaurant on the 2nd floor. When it came to tours, it was from the company of the book of choices that the hotel has an affiliation with. But....those aren't necessarily the best or most convenient.
Would I stay here again.....yes!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear pgrey,
Xin chao!
Warmest greetings from sunny Saigon.
My Team joins me in thanking you for staying with Northern Hotel for your recent holiday in Ho Chi Minh City. I would like also thank you very much for your kind sharing with Tripadvisor’s readers, it is surely our endeavor to ensure each Guest has a relaxing and memorable stay with us.
Regarding to daily tour, we are going to design more option such as Saigon half day, Mekong 2 days, Cu Chi full day…etc. With our new proposal, we do hope it could meet all guest expectation, and have more enjoy a real Saigon.
Once again thank you very much for your constructive feedback to our property and please feel free to contact me directly when making your reservations so that we can ensure all is in good order.
Kindest regards,
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed here mid-Jan 2014 and found the hotel very pleasant with reasonable facilities. Enjoyed the stay, staff attentive and helpful, food good, location excellent. Good value for money. minor problem in bath/shower which was not resolved but did not impact our stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shimmy B
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Shimmy B,
Xin chao!
My Team joins me in thank you for taking the time to provide your lovely feedback regarding your recent stay at Northern Hotel Saigon. I am delighted to hear that the Hotel looked after your needs well, and so pleased that you took time to share this with Tripadvisor’s readers.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back again soon and please feel free to email personally as we shall ensure your booking is all in good order
Wishes you and family a health & prosperity!
Yours sincerely,
testelt
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We have stayed two nights in this hotel . It Is well placed, you can reach the nice places to see in Saigon easily on foot (if you manage to cope with the busy traffic).
Breakfast was very good - nice choice of European and Asian food. The bar closes quite soon in the evening.
The rooms are very nice, coffee and thee facilities.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Christiane V,
Xin Chao!
Thank you very much for your nice comment about our Northern Hotel Saigon on Tripadvisor, extremely room, location and buffet breakfast, I will surely share with all my staffs on next meeting. Lovely comment like this is a great motivation for us to continue offering the excellent service as we are always focusing on.
Your patronage and loyalty are very important to us. We hope you can visit Northern Hotel Saigon again in the not so distant future.
Kindly let me know if I would be of your any further assistance.
With my best personal regards,
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Nice place to stay - pleasant staff and good rooms.

This place was recommended to me and I found their advice correct. It is well located. We enjoyed HCMC though it is not a place you want to stay for a long time.

Will stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle F
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Michelle F,
Good morning from sunny Saigon!
Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding Northern Hotel. Our team always looks forward to every comment submitted by our guests. A lovely comment like this is catalyst to continuous improvement of the delivery of our products and services.
Kindly let me know if I would be of your any further assistance.
With my best personal regards,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We found the hotel quite luxurious. The family suite was enormous, very clean and quiet. Good value for money. The only problems we encountered was the lack of interest shown to guests by staff. Our only stay in Vietnam where hospitality was lacking. Breakfast was lovely. Great location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
David-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Robyn R,
Xin Chao!
Thank you very much for your great comment about our Northern Hotel Saigon on Tripadvisor, extremely room, location and buffet breakfast, I will surely share with all my staffs on next meeting, lovely comment like this is a great motivation for us to continue offering the excellent service as we are always focusing on.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back soon and please feel free to email personally and we shall assure your booking is all in good order.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Very nice hotel. Not far from anything. Staff terrific. Manager, Mr Thanh, very pleasant and friendly. My friend had stayed there a number of times on business trips and he is pretty fussy. Room always clean. Would go back everytime.

Room Tip: End room looking towards river best view.