“Maybe we expected too much?”

Northern Hotel Saigon
Ranked #120 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Northern is safe and clean and in a very good location. So good that taxi drivers will take the long way to get back there, it's about a 25000 dong ride to Ben Thanh. We were getting about a 50000 dong trip as the drivers took us around the block several times. It is a pleasant 15 minute stroll either down the river and then up to the market, or via the Opera house and the Rex. So why only 3 dots?

For starters this place is really noisy. The sound of chairs and other furniture being scraped on the floors above travels all the way through at least the next floor down if not further. The staff tend to call to each other down the hallways as they move through cleaning and that can be annoying as it starts quite early. The breakfast was poor, I know things are always dearer in the cities but for less money per night we stayed at the Novotel in Nha Trang and the breakfasts were incredible compared to the Northern. The breads were stale, the potatoes cold and they didn't replace stuff very often. Finally, we went to the bar upstairs and were stoked with the view. You have to go to the roof bar for a drink and a look. HOWEVER, we ordered a few drinks, I asked for a rum, there was some on the shelf behind the bar. The bar lady went out the back, not taking the beautiful dark spiced rum with her, and returned with the so called rum in a glass with ice and coke on the side. The rum she had provided me was clear, not the rum I had asked for and it certainly didn't taste like rum ( even the clear version). So what was the drink I was given? When I enquired about it the lady feigned ignorance and went out the back of the bar.

All tolled I didn't find the staff as friendly as others have. The weather was stinking hot so maybe everyone was just hot and bothered. Topping things off our room didn't get cleaned one day, no drama for us but we wanted new towels, we made four calls to reception, all unanswered. There was a trolley in the hallway so we took them off that.
Room service was excellent, the Thai restaurant around the block is awesome, there are convenience stores handy to here but due to the location it is cheaper to catch a taxi to the backpacker area for a meal than it is to walk to a handy restaurant near the Northern. We will probably try somewhere else next time but if you want great location, basic amenities and comfortable rooms give it a go. If you are only in Saigon for a shopping trip or a few nights this should suit you well.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tan-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear KiwiMedic,

Xin Chao!

First of all, we would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and comments on the TripAdvisor.
We are working towards improving our operation and your views are a valued source of information. Indeed your comments will be again discuss on our next operation meeting in order to review and provide an appropriate training to our staff to keep up their standard.
I hope that you will give us one more opportunity next time you are visiting Ho Chi Minh City and please do not hesitate to let me know if I can assist in any way.
Wishes you and family a health & happiness!

Yours sincerely!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here for our last night. Took one of the cheaper rooms but it was still really nice. This hotel is easily as good as most 4-star hotels in the UK and the price is very good. Breakfast was included and very good. The staff were helpful, arranged taxis and let us checkout late. The hotel is close to the centre and in quite a nice area with a few bars nearby. I would recommend staying here.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BristolDave001,

Xin Chao!

Thank you very much for your great comment about our Hotel and the extremely room, breakfast, location and friendly staffs. I will be sure to share these with all my staffs. Lovely comments like these as a great motivation for us to continue offering the excellent service we are always focusing on.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the nearest future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Solid stay. Room is clean, I feel safe there, and the staff are friendly. Great bed and bedding. Very low key - I get what I need without the swarming over-attentiveness of other hotels in the area. Breakfast is decent for being included. The fitness room leaves a bit to be desired. It's passable, but I've been going for runs outside (good luck with the scooters) or climbing the stair wells. The neighborhood is fantastic. The restaurants around the corner on Le Tahnh Tron street are great - crepe place, Le Bahn Mi and dozen others. There's a natural foods store around the corner that is pretty great. You can't beat the location and price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Dave D D,

Xin Chao
Thank you for your positive message here on TripAdvisor!
I am so happy to hear that the Hotel looked after your needs well. It is surely our endeavor to ensure each Guest has a relaxing and memorable stay with us.

Best regards

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband comes to Ho Chi Minh frequently and this is his hotel. They are always welcoming. The service, the breakfasts, the Vietnamese coffee's! Always great! Great value for you money. Really good location in district one!
Upon our return from traveling north, not only did they upgrade us to a suite, but they upgraded our friends, as well! See why we love them? Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013
tranduongtan, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Insfavorite,

Xin chao!
Good afternoon from sunny Saigon!
My Team joins me in thanking you for staying at Northern for your recent trip to Ho Chi Minh City. I am very happy to hear that the Hotel looked after all your expectation. It is surely our endeavor to ensure each Guest has a relaxing and memorable stay with us.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back again soon and please feel free to email personally and we shall ensure your booking is all in good order.
With warmest regards,

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at the Northern Hotel as the last stop of our trip. Firstly we had to change the date of the booking as my partner had had an accident elsewhere in Vietnam so we had to change our flights - the hotel were very accommodating and did not incur any extra fees. When we arrived we were greeted by a very warm welcome and excellent English speaking staff. Our room, the Northern Suite was immaculate and huge!!! Almost bigger than my flat at home! The quality of the finishes was the best of all the places we had stayed in Vietnam, we even had a jacuzzi in the bathroom.
I can not compliment the staff enough. It was quite tricky with crutches however the staff carried all our bags to our room and shortly after knocked on the door and brought us a wheelchair so that we could try and see some of the sights of HCMC.
We have stayed in a few 4 star hotels already in Vietnam including 1 in HCMC and can't believe the Northern is only 3 stars. The Northern was a cut above the others by a long way. Very good value for the money. Thank you Mr Nguyen Tran Thang and the rest of the staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tan-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Julianne D,

Xin chao!
First of all, we would like to thank you for selecting Northern Hotel Saigon as your choice of accommodation while visiting Ho Chi Minh City. It was our pleasure to serve you during your stay. I am very happy to read your lovely comment on Tripadvisor.

Your kind comment is much appreciated and we are so delighted to know how much you satisfied with our property. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and happy with our accommodation and especially the service from our staff.

We can’t be any happier to hear that our service standard is measured up to guests’ expectations. Your satisfaction is our reward. Thank you very much for mentioning my colleague - Mr. Nguyen Tran Thang. We’ve delivered your messages to him to let all staffs know that they are doing something right and to support them to continue delivering such an excellent service to all distinguished guests.

Last but not least, thank you for considered us as a comfortable and good value place to stay. Your thought of returning stay at Northern Hotel is much impressive, we are more than happy to welcome you back here one more time.

Kindly let me know if I would be of your any further assistance.

Tran Duong Tan

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Booked a room here as the following night it was the starting point for our two week cycling trip through SE Asia. Opted for a suite on our own the first night, which was only 20USD more than a standard room. I thought we would be able to hold onto the suite for the second night but front desk asked us to move. Turned out a blessing since the standard room was nicer. Hotel is quite a distance from the airport and is next to a disco. Saturday night was tough to sleep, between the thumping of the music and the rooster crowing to us from across the street (this in the middle of the city). A few blocks walk from the hotel there are high end shops and an air conditioned mall. No bargains. Walking out to the right of the hotel at night was off-putting, as the area was dark and dreary. Desk staff was grumpy. Breakfast was fine, no complaints.

Room Tip: Unless you are soothed by thumping bass, try to get a room that faces the rear and is on the opposit...

Dear RobertnNYC,

Xin chao!
Warmest greetings from Northern Hotel Saigon!
Thank you for taking the time to write about your constructive comment regarding to our location and noise neighbor areas on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations but please rest assured that your feedback is very important to us.
After having meeting with front office staffs, I would like to clarify your issue regarding to room change as followed:

You and your group have booked 1 night at Northern Hotel (standard room), and the pre-night you come to enjoy the free time, you agreed to pay US$20 more to stay at Northern Suite. After the first night, your group checked in with standard room, and of course you will join in your group with same category, unless you pay more US$20 to keep your Northern Suite. But in this case, you do not want to spend more, that is the reason why our reception changes your room to standard one, kindly understand us for this situation.

My valued guest, please be aware that we are now upgrading our property by changing the decoration in the corridors, room amenities…etc so I am more than happy if the Hotel has one more chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Kindly let me know if I would be of your any further assistance.
Tran Duong Tan

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Centrally located hotel, says it's a premier boutique hotel - Mmm! We reported a leaking bath at least 3 times and nothing was done so we had to dam the side of the bath wih several towels. Not recommendable!

2  Thank ScreenName55
Tan-Northern, Director of Business Development at Northern Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear ScreenName55,

Xin chao!
Greetings from sunny Saigon and thank you very much for taking the time to publish a review on TripAdvisor. It is through these comments that we are able to aim for a high standard of quality and service.
I would like to apologize for not being able to provide you with the efficient yet pleasurable experience you may expect, and I am sure that your feedback will be raise up to the next staff meeting to be improved.
Once again, thank you again for sharing your experience with us and should you have any plans to return to Ho Chi Minh City, please do let me know if there is anything I can assist with.

Yours sincerely,