“The Place to stay in for Bargain Shoppers”

Ranked #55 of 447 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Quezon City, Philippines
“The Place to stay in for Bargain Shoppers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had a good and comfortable stay at this hotel. The beds were comfortable, the sheets pristine white, the bathrooms large and clean, the staff were friendly and efficient. But best of all, it was in the heart of the tourist and shopping district: walking distance to the central market and to landmarks and tourist places like the Notre Dame cathedral and the War Museum.

There was just a couple of things: 1) although the airconditioning in the rooms of our companions were all working fine, we couldn't seem to get our room to cool to our satisfaction during this hot summer month. Something seemed wrong with the thermostat in our room, and the maintenance people couldn't seem to fix it either. 2)It was hard to put on make-up as there was not enough lighting above any of the mirrors.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vinchu L
Man N, General Manager at Silverland Central Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Vinchu L,

I am glad to know that you had a good and comfortable stay at our hotel. I also happy to hear that you have found our staff were friendly and efficient.

Regarding the air conditioner and lightning issue, I have personal work with our Engineering to seek out the best solution to avoid those and we shall apply the change soon.

Thank you very much for your kind words and if your travel plans bring you back to HCMC kindly contact me so I can take care of your booking personally.
Yours sincerely,

Silverland Central Hotel and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong / Kelowna, BC, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Friendly Reminder: This place is not to be confused with Grand Silverland and Silverland Hotel and Spa. I found this to be very misleading, almost to an extent I think this is false advertising. I booked this hotel on Hotelclub.com under the name of "Silverland Central" hotel, when I arrived at Saigon Airport, none of the Taxi drivers have heard about it, and one driver end up driving us to the Grand Silverland, not once on hotelclub.com description does it mentioned the name "Tai Hai Long" and when you type in silverland central on tripadvisor, it yields no results.

The picture that this hotel uses on all the booking sites are very deceiving as well, the picture is showing merely a landmark nearby rather than the hotel exterior it self, rooms are no where near what the pictures claims to be. But if you put the false advertising aside, this is a decent place to spend a night or two.

Location:

Great. It is right next to the central market and within walking distant to most major shopping mall in district 1 of Saigon. It is not like you'll do any upscale shopping here as brand names are atleast 30% more expensive than Hong Kong. You're also within walking distance to places like the Cathedral, war museum and the famous central post office, no more than 20mins walk to those places.

Security:

Saigon is not known for great security, is always good to have basic precautions. I didn't encounter any major events that comprises my safety during my stay, the only down side is that the lift doesn't have floor lock, meaning that anyone can take the lift up to the residential floors.

Services:

Above Average. One staff in particular stands out among the rest, I cannot recall his name, but he is energetic and very helpful. Other staffs are great too, always wears a smile (although a very tired one) and accommodates needs promptly, I cannot complaint about the level of services being provided here, since it is rather not bad.

Rooms:

I booked myself the Suite and upon check-in they upgraded me to a more luxury suite. Well, that is nowhere near what I expect in a luxury suite: the room size is okay, with a nice view out the city, a Jacuzzi type bath in room but wasn't working properly. The decor doesn't look anywhere near a suite standard, not even a 3 stars one. The bed is comfortable and the room is clean.

Hotel Facility and Dinning:

Daily breakfast buffet is included in your rate, this breakfast buffet is so big you can call it a lunch buffet really, food selection was great, taste was okay, nothing spectacular. There are no facility in this place except for the Spa on first floor, they are doing a 50% off promotion on some of the items, but we haven't got the time to try it.

Cleanliness:

My girlfriend and I saw 2 giant cockroaches roaming on the bread at the breakfast buffet, one of the waiter saw it too but he just smiles at us and moves away, with no intention to replace the contaminated breads, very unprofessional. Other than that, the room is clean.

Will I recommend this hotel: Well, if the price is right.

Tips:

1) If you don't feel like walking or taking a taxi all the time, you can rent a motorbike for USD$7/day from across the street. Bike rental company will usually detain your passport, if you don't want that to happen, bring along your international drivers licenses for them to detain. The hotel will provide you with complementary parking for motorbike.

2) Hotel wide WIFI is available and is preatty reliable. However, should you want to use internet outside of the hotel, you may buy a simcard at the airport that costs 100k to 150k VND, and it gives you unlimited internet for 30days (600MB limit with no speed restrictions)

3) don't get fool by the district names, distance between districts can be very far, for example it takes about 25mins by taxi to get to district 2, ask the front desk for exact distance before heading out to another district.

4) Fancy a cold drink? there is this local store just right next to the hotel that sells a large variety of drinks only for 10K/each.

1 Thank Crossingtheglobe
Man N, General Manager at Silverland Central Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Crossingtheglobe,

Thank you for your review.

While I am taking note of your very constructive feedback, I am happy to learn that you are able to return and recommend our hotel. I also appreciate your kind words on the hotel location.

To respond to your feedback on the misleading of the hotel's name. I would like to inform that the Tan Hai Long is a name of the Company and the Silverland is a brand name such as "Grand Silverland " belongs to Tan Hai Long 5, "Silverland Hotel & Spa" belongs to Tan Hai Long 2 and "Silverland Central" belongs to Tan Hai Long 1. We also have another two of Silverlands those are "Silverland Boutique" and "Silverland Inn". Each Silverland is located in a different part of district 01. Our Silverland brand name is only 01 year old so we still have a lot of work to make it popular. I understand how confuse it is and we are doing our best to reduce the misleading as you have mentioned.

Again, thank you for you review and if you have a chance to return Saigon, please contact me so I will have a chance to take care of your booking personally.

gm@tanhailonghotel.com.vn
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had four wonderful days staying at this hotel. It's within walking distance of most attractions. The staff are friendly and professional and there is a great breakfast. The markets are right next door and were good for a bargain. We walked to the river and did a short cruise, then later on did a dinner cruise. We both enjoyed the Water Puppets even though we didn't understand a word, it didn't matter.

1 Thank Colleen13291
Man N, General Manager at Silverland Central Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Colleen13291,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

We are so happy to know that you had four wonderful days staying at our hotel. I am also proud to know that you have found our staff are friendly and professional. I appreciate your good comment on our buffet breakfast (compare to some previous reviews) but we still got a plan to make it better and we hope that when we have a chance to welcome you back at the hotel that will surprise you.

Again, thanks for your kind words and if your travel plans bring you back to HCMC kindly contact me so I can take care of your booking personally.
Yours sincerely ,

Waikato
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed in this hotel twice for 2 days each time in May 2013. This hotel is well situated, its clean, good service and excellent range of foods for breakfast. The rooms are reasonably well soundproofed, there is some road noise but that was minimal and not disturbing. Good air-con, and good wifi. On both occasions we had a deluxe room. Apparently deluxe means you get a window, where the superior room may not have windows. The hotel has two parts, an older tower (room numbers with an A), and a newer one (room numbers B). We stayed in both towers. The newer tower is definitely better. Our B tower room was a little larger, and the bathroom is a lot larger. The bathroom in our A tower room was really quite small and could only be used by one person at a time. We got the A tower room on the 2nd visit and were initially disappointed compareed to theroom we had previously. We would recommend the hotel, especially the new tower.
I have rated the B tower room in my asessment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new tower. Not all rooms have windows.
1 Thank R_and_D_NZ
Man N, General Manager at Silverland Central Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear R_and_D_NZ,

Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at our hotel.

We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with excellent service and range of foods for breakfast. Also your compliment on our B tower is highly appreciated.

Again, thanks for your kind words and if your travel plan bring you back to Ho Chi Minh city, we are always happy to welcome you back..

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

This is my 2nd time staying in this hotel. I have a group of 11 adult and 1 child. the pick up service is good. the hotel has improved a lot compare to my first time visit. Good service, clean and friendly. Convenient for those who is shopaholic. Morning u have Ben Than market, at night you have a night market which is just few steps away. Food is within the reach. At the corner shop lot (back entrance) you can enjoy a local pork noodle. a halal restaurant just few door away.
The bellboy is very helpful, a big thumbs up for their service. The only negative point is that they only issue 1 door card which is not enough. Overall the hotel had provided an excellent service.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Shirley W
Man N, General Manager at Silverland Central Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Shirley W,

Thank you very much for your comment on your recent stay at our hotel.

We are happy to know that you had a great experience with our service and hotel location. I also thank you for your compliment on our Bellboy Team.
Yes, I understand that it is so hard to have 01 room key for each room when you have more than one person stay in the room, so we are willing to provide extra key and open the room's door upon request. I am really appreciated your comment and we will pay more attention to this issue to make sure all the guests are comfortable with our hotel's facilities.

Again, thanks for your kind words and we are more than happy to welcome you and your family back to our hotel.

Hoi An, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a 5 star 3 star, if you know what I mean.
I think only a few years old and according to the award plaque downstairs this hotel is on Sai Gon's top 10 3 star hotel list for the last 3 years.
On entry to the lobby there's lots of marble, gold and smiles.
Staff have been wonderful; very friendly, attentive and helpful.
Of an evening I've seen the maintenance guy every night we've been here filling cracks and holes in walls and skirting boards and then painting same and there is always a woman cleaning the glass and gold so between the two of them the place always looks fresh.
Food is fantastic.
Traditional Vietnamese as well as halal, pizzas and pastas.

Can't fault it.
Sensational value an right in the centre of it all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris M
Man N, General Manager at Silverland Central Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Chris M,

Thank you for an excellent comments on your recent stay at Silverland Central Hotel and Spa.

I am happy to know that you have experienced the wonderful of our staff and find them very friendly, attentive and helpful.
I also appreciate your (details) look into our try to maintain the excellent condition of the hotel as our aim is always try to make the hotel like new and first usage.

Again, thanks to you Chris M and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.