“so much fun!” 4 of 5 bubbles

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“so much fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

i did a lot of research before coming to Vietnam but did not see Monkey Island in any of the websites/guide books. Fortunately I have extended family living in HCMC and they took me to a place called Monkey Island. Its a little like the drive thru safari at Six flags in NJ but not nearly as big and instead of driving you walk. There are monkeys all over and you feed them the bag of bread or something that you buy from the ticket counter. watch out tho they (the monkeys) are pretty aggressive and will snatch the whole bag right out of your hand. You walk thru the monkeys for a bit down a paved road and then pay more money i think 350,000dong to take a boat ride thru really narrow waterway and you get to a part where the vietnamese army hid/camped out during the war. they say its all original but i'm sure it has been restored a bit. still pretty neat. there is a little "restaurant" in one of the huts where you can eat but obcviously no AC and only offering the a hockey puck looking glob of rice and a really salty sardine size fish. This is what they ate during the war. We brought our own picnic food and ate it there, only bought water. Theyd din't seem to mind.

I think they call this place a nature preserve. My only reservation about it is that there are a handful of creatures in really small enclosures which upsets me. There is one small bear/sloth looking animal that hangs out on a small tree, another small enclosure has a big bird, another has a really long snake and i think that was it.

Overall the place was fun and really interesting. I'm sure kids would love it.

getting there: we drove from District7 and it took about 1.5hrs total. mid way you have to get on a ferry to cross the mekong i think it is. The ferry ride itself is only like 4 mins, but you have to wait for the ferry to fill up. We had to wait approx 20mins each way. the road is REALLY bumpy and in some places, not even paved over - just dirt. I think you can take the #20 bus to ferry then #90 bus but would probably take you forever.

I will post pics when I can feel free to pm me if you have questions. Aside from the enclosed animals i think it was pretty neat and worth seeing. :)

9 Thank JJcookie