“Great location! Wonderful staff!!”
Review of Meraki Hotel

Meraki Hotel
Ranked #102 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Westminster, California
“Great location! Wonderful staff!!”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I went to Vietnam for the first time and stayed at this hotel in January. Initially my family and I had reservations at a hotel near Cho Ben Thanh but after the first night, we realized everything around us closed at 10pm and it was too quiet and no signs of nightlife. My uncle then suggested Bizu Hotel, where he has stayed multiple times. First thing i noticed upon arriving at Bui Vien was the busy street full of people, street vendors, restaurants and bars. There were a lot of foreigners (hence the nickname "backpackers district") and everyone spoke english everywhere we went. The hotel was very clean, and quiet (even though my window was right above Bui Vien St) and the employees were so nice and accommodating. I ended up staying in 3 different rooms throughout my stay and i was pleased with all of them. The price was a deal, considering how busy the location is. The staff was so helpful..from calling taxis to checking airline fares or even giving us helpful advice on how to travel within the city. My parents, grandma and uncle ended up switching from their hotel to come stay at this one after seeing how it was when they came to visit. Thank you Kenny, Harry, Kathy, Suri, Vincent and Jenny for making my first visit such a wonderful experience! I am already planning my visit for next year and will definitely be staying here again!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Taguig City, Philippines
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We came here with our 8 month old son. This hotel is located in the heart of the busiest street in district 1. Tons of street food, restaurants and travelers. There are places to book tours and exchange dollars at good rates. The breakfast pho ga was delicious, but beware that it often runs out. The service here is outstanding. Harry (the manager) speaks great English, is so kind and helpful and made me feel extremely special. On my birthday, they surprised me with a cute note and cake. :)

We booked the suite that had a real mini fridge, tub, 2 queen beds, a twin bed table, and couch overlooking the bustling street below. Request a room high and in the back because of the noise. There's also a really loud rooster that decides when it's time to wake up and if you don't hear it the first time, he will sound the alarm a few more times at 1 hour increments.

It's not the nicest or new by any means, but it's clean and safe. The aircon was spraying water on ice and dropping ice cubes but we just stuffed it with tissues.

There's someone to get you a taxi if needed and you can pretty much walk anywhere from thos location or pay $1 to go anywhere within district 1 via taxi.

We truly enjoyed our stay here. I would recommend this place if you are looking for an affordable place that isn't a hostel.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Located in the backpacker district it's close to all the nightlife and yet you'd hardly know it in your room. We have now stayed in both hotels owned by the Bizu, right next to each other, and both are an excellent deal. Although, the taller of the two has interesting showers that are very small and hard to turn around in, not too safe for those who have unstable footing. The 10th floor has a decent enough breakfast and the staff is willing to take care of you with a smile. We rented motorbikes from the front desk with ease. This is probably the best hotel you'll find for the money in this area. Very clean, housekeeping is prompt and the beds are slightly lumpy but we've had a good night sleep every night so I can't complain. This is our second time in Saigon and we've stayed here both times.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Value for money and superb service from the staff, in particular Ms. Kathy and Ms. Jolie who went all the way to assist us in planning our 4 days in HCMC. The location in Bui Vien street is very convenient and very strategic which makes walking very interesting. We were recommended the full day city tour and a day tour to Cu Chi tunnel and Cao Dai temple with the company Delta which offers clean coach and good English speaking tour guides. Our taxi driver had some trouble locating the hotel as there is no sign board! Otherwise, we highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor and avoid the front room as there are lots of pubs downstairs and the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Bizu (also known as Saigon Mini Hotel, aka Dai Hoang Kim Hotel - they are undergoing a merger with neighbouring properties) is a fine hotel in the middle of a terrible backpacker neighbourhood called Pham Ngu Lao. This backpacker area is crowded, it is noisy, it is smelly, and the people (mostly tourists, often drunk) are obnoxious.

Here are some very good things about Bizu:
- It is clean. Our room, the bathroom, the towels and sheets etc, were very clean by Asian discount hotel standards (however, there were scuff marks on the walls, the shower door didn't close properly, and other minor blemishes that would not be acceptable in a North American hotel but are perfectly fine here).
- The staff is very helpful. Quick service, friendly. They kept our bag for free in a secure office after we checked out (our bus wasn't leaving until the afternoon). They were also really good about giving directions.
- Everything worked as described (AC, internet, etc).

And some bad things:
- Hallways reeking of cigarettes, other guests smoking everywhere (including in the elevator!).
- Most of the staff speaks very little or no English. There was one lady at the counter who spoke excellent English, though, so it was a relief whenever she was there.
- There will be non-stop noise from the street, drunk people, and nightclubs, no matter which room you are in and no matter how good your earplugs are.

We paid $39 per night for a "superior" room (which we bought through Expedia and experienced no problems), which is incredibly small but has a window. I haven't stayed anywhere else in Ho Chi MInh City so I can't really compare prices, but we shopped around a bit and this seems to be a little on the expensive side for the level of quality.

To sum up: clean, decent, perhaps a little expensive when compared to other hotels in the area. I recommend finding a different area, though.

1 Thank lennybruceisdead
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Formerly known as the Saigon Mini Hotel 5 (and some of the staff still wearing shirts with that name) it's still value for money. Cleaner than most of the gaffs on Bui Vien and very helpful staff. A decent double starts with 25 USD, but I enjoyed staying here three times and looking for a cheaper place only applies to those on a tight budget.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank andreoz
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is clean and tidy. Hardware wise, it provide everything you expect in a low budget hotel. There are small issue I noticed which should be looked into.

Television has no discovery channel or national geographic.
Toilet often 'burp' out gas. I suspect there is an issue with plumbing, and air back flow into other toilet when someone flushes in the building. However, strong odour was not detected...
The pub below plays loud music till late, so I could hear a slight vibration from the bass. But it was not loud enough to bother my sleep. My room was in 2 floor.

Staff is extremely helpful and friendly. They show me a lot of places to eat and shop. Also, this is the only budget hotel that offers to carry your heavy luggage into your room.
Upon check out, I forgot to ask for my passport back. I gave them a call when I am in airport, staff delivered my passport within 15 minutes. I very much appreciated the hospitality of staff in this hotel and overall, I had a good experience staying here.