“Great value for money”

Ranked #98 of 454 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Sandnes, Norway
“Great value for money”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel is located whitin walking distance, in a lively street with plenty of bars and places to eat close by.
The room was bigger than I expected, with comfortable beds, aircondition and free wifi. The breakfast is served in the hotel next door, and is basic but tasty.
The service at the front-desk was great. I had pre-arranged an airport-pickup, and even though my my flight got quite a few hours delayed everything went smoothly after I informed them of this by sending them an email. Likewise they were really helpful arranging a taxi to the airport on departure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Mini is the right word for this narrow and easy to miss hotel on one of the main tourist strips. Next door to .... Saigon mini hotel 5 (bit of a communist naming convention going on here?). Small rooms but everything available inc laundry, mini bar. Great wifi signal- free like just about everywhere in HCMC. Adjacent to loads of cafes, but breakfast upstairs next door is an add-on for 38,000 dong..... A quid! Well connected and will sort out trips , airport transfers etc with easy efficiency. Recommend.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Gisborne
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I spent three nights in a Superior Room and my first impression was a very good one. My bag was taken from the taxi by the friendly porter and I was greeted at reception by Miss Katie who was an absolute delight! My room was on the fourth floor (Room 401) at the back of the hotel with a window and air conditioning. I had twin beds, a safe in the wardrobe, tv, hair dryer, jug and cup and saucer. Water was available in the fridge (for a price) but there was no tea or coffee provided. The bathroom had a really nice hot shower as well as soap, cotton buds, fresh towels etc. Toilet paper is not to be flushed down the toilet - it must be put in the rubbish bin provided in the bathroom. The key tag is used to turn on the lights and air conditioning and must be inserted in the slot by the door on entry into the room. As my door needed the key to lock and unlock it, I found a teaspoon inserted into the slot could flick the switch allowing the lights to be used and air conditioning to be left on, enabling me to leave the key in the door all night - for a quick exit if necessary.

The hotel is located in the backpacking district and everything is within walking distance. I found a fantastic cafe called "Sozo" down the street to the left of the hotel which served great food and coffee, and the best bagels for breakfast! Just along from this cafe is a pharmacy and diagonally across the road from the hotel is a Circle K convenience store which has an ATM machine in the back of the shop (not visible from the street which is safer), plus I could buy fresh milk and teabags for my room.

I arranged taxi transport from the airport through the hotel before I left NZ. This meant when I arrived off my flight from Singapore, I was greeted by a man holding up a card with my name on it. I was then taken straight to his taxi and straight to the hotel. The cost of the taxi was put on my hotel bill. I saw plenty of tourists being hassled by taxi drivers so beware. The cost was 190,000 Dong, approximately $10US. If you need a taxi back to the airport, book and pay at reception and they'll give you a taxi voucher. They'll also happily book a taxi for you should you wish to go anywhere else. You just pay the taxi driver. There are so many shonky taxi's out there you'll most certainly be ripped off if you don't stick with the reputable firms. (I made the mistake of jumping into the first taxi I saw outside a market and was ripped off). According to the receptionist the two taxi firms you should deal with are: VINASUN and MAILINH. Watch for variations of the spelling of these.

If you have breakfast included with your accommodation, you're given a voucher which you take to the restaurant at the top floor of the hotel right next door. Breakfast is varied and delicious and only $3US if, like me, I didn't have breakfast included and had to pay. You can have a choice of hot or cold food, Vietnamese or Western.

Bui Vien is the most amazing street at night - tourists and people everywhere. Very vibrant and exciting. Just keep a tight hold on your bag and don't use your cellphone in public. Theft is rife. I loved staying at this hotel and I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The Superior rooms at the back of the hotel have a large window and are quiet. No street noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank GisbornePartyof5
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel ls in a great central location. Close to bars and nightlife. Only minutes from Saigons major tourist attractions. The rooms are clean and fresh. Very friendly and helpful staff. Tours can be arranged at the front desk. Real value for money.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank mickkershaw
Phnom penh
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I visited the Saigon at the end of March stayed for 3 nights, the room was good, clean free wifi was a plus during the trip, as I need to surf around the dining option there, however, the breakfast service and food need major improvement, even the space itself, if you are there around 7.30am chance are no seat available, then you need to wait 30mn for pho, it is not right to start a good day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the Saigon Mini 6 for 3 nights. This hotel is located in the backpacker area and is within walking distance to most Saigon major sights. Cheap local food can be found in the same street or you can splurge on western food which is more expensive but we found that it usually wasn't great so we eat local.

Our room was quiet, however it was located at the rear of the hotel so I'm not sure what the front rooms would be like in terms of noise as they face the street which can be quite lively late into the night. On first impressions of the room, I thought we were going to have to change hotel because the mattress felt like something Barney Rubble built in an episode of the Flintstones. We stuck it out and after the first night, it actually wasn't that bad (but still not great). Something that wasn't clear to us when booking via Expedia, but is detailed in the in-room booklet, is that the Mini 6 has Latex mattresses (eg Barney Rubble produce) while the Mini 5 which is located right next door has spring mattresses. If you are a side sleeper like myself you might want to confirm the type of mattress that your room has before booking. My hips paid the price for two days after a big day of walking around Saigon and then sleeping on the Latex mattress.

The rooms are also much smaller than they appear on TripAdvisor and similar websites. When we got our room we checked back to see if the photos were the same and they ARE of the actual rooms, but taken from clever angles. This was no issue with the size, it was just a surprise for us and something to consider for others looking for a larger room.

Breakfast is served next door at Mini 5 and is ok for the price you pay for the hotel. It is a set selection rather than a buffet but the selection is reasonable with a selection of westernish and some vietnamese foods.

All in all our stay was good, however we would probably look at the Mini 5 or a similar hotel simply due to the latex mattress experience. Everything else was good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank austravelchamps
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed two nights in April in room 702 which is a large room with two double beds and a single
The room was clean airconditioning efficent and quiet the bathroom was good and although on a front room on the seventh floor (serviced by a lift) was quiet but the feature of the room was a large window that overlooked the street which meant you could watch the street action.
I must make mention of ms Anna who was very helpful at the front desk during my short stay.
I would stay here again as the location was great right where all the action was with many restraunts /cafes/bars/travel agents close by and even a Cicle k over the road in which you could buy biscuits tea and coffee soft drinks etc.The hotel has two free internet stations at reception which was fast and didnt drop out .
Overall I felt that this hotel was value for money although there are many small hotels in this area.
The airport pick up (arranged by the hotel)was efficent on my arrival but seemed expensive at 468 dong when the return trip from the hotel (arranged by the hotel ) was only 190 dong (the airport trip by taxi takes about 30 minutes each way)
the only other small complaint was the lack of english speaking channels on tv (today most hotels have a good choice of many language channels)
I would stay here again on my return Ho Chi Minh City