All reviews communal areas perfect stay common room banh mi laundry service great place to stay free breakfast rooftop bar rooms are clean hammocks beds dorm district city hcmc street foreigners
Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

I spent six weeks staying in DaBlend hostel between July and August 2018 and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Saigon. The staff were very friendly and helpful, there was a good range and the pallet crate beds are very comfortable and afford a degree of privacy. The location is in a very interesting area of the city providing a glut of great, cheap places to eat nearby; and District 1 remains close enough to be reachable by a short Grab trip. Overall DaBlend provides a welcoming environment and fantastic accommodation at a very affordable price.

Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed July 10, 2018

We arrived in Saigon after travelling in Thailand for 2 weeks, having extremely good experiences at cheap hostels. We arrived late in the evening after a relatively difficult visa process. Dablend is hard to find (as noted in other reviews), as it is down an alleyway that is not well lit in the evening. I note that in a previous review the host said they would be getting a sign up in November 2017, it seems this either did not happen or we missed it (kind of defeating the purpose haha).

We are grateful to the desk for staying open late to let us in, this made things easier. When we got to our room, I'll admit I was unimpressed – there were several disappointing features. It was a large room, but super empty. There was no sheet on the bed, just small blankets that did not cover the bed. The only other furniture was a closet, which smelled a bit. At this point I think it's important to note that we did pay only $15 AUD a night for this room, which is very cheap in my opinion. Because of this, I was not expecting too much from the accommodation of course, however I think small changes to the room would make it a lot more appealing. The hostel required you to pay extra for towels, which was unhomely and I’m not sure how much extra income this would bring in. Probably the worst part of the room was how noisy it was. The bed frame (wooden transport crate) is cool in theory but squeaked incessantly whenever someone rolled over and there was a dog next door that barked almost constantly at times. Of course the owner cannot fix the noise of the dog, but I’m sure there are some measures that can be taken to reduce noise generally. Because of the tiled floor, noise echoed poorly throughout the building, including closing of doors and footsteps from above. Something as simple as rugs in key areas could potentially solve this problem.

On our second night, it rained quite heavily and the room started to leak from two spots. The staff were helpful and came and put some towels on the floor and removed the light (seemingly the main culprit) the next day. However I'm unsure this would have been a good long-term fix if it had continued to rain heavily throughout our stay.

The location of the hostel is an interesting point. I appreciate the comments saying it is good because it is an authentic experience and you can experience local culture. However in my opinion, this was not the case. We found it extremely difficult to find accessible authentic locations because of the lack of English in the area and felt a bit uncomfortable in the area. This could definitely differ between travellers, up to your preferences.

Overall, staying at DaBlend Hostel was not a great experience for us, but there were upsides. My girlfriend enjoyed the rooftop bar, the pool table was a nice touch, the communal areas seemed comfy enough, and the staff were relatively attentive (although a little dismissive at times). The breakfast was very basic, but got the job done.

Looking through the other poor reviews, it seems the Hostel has attempted to shift the blame back to the customer. I hope this doesn't happen with this review. We are not fussy travellers and have had great experiences at very budget accommodation. I hope this review highlights some areas that need improvement, and DBH take it as constructive criticism.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

One very good hostel in Saigon, people working there are just great, a nice rooftop, nice bathrooms,wooden straws (we love our planet), nice breakfast, to be short, it's great !
Thank you DaBlend team for this short trip in your hostel

Reviewed June 19, 2018

This hostel sells itself as a place where you can save money as it's all "local" and away from the touristy district 1, but it's pretty overpriced itself. Everything just seemed a bit too expensive, considering they claim to be a place where you can save money. There are cheaper hostels in district 1, and if you stay in one of those you won't have to pay for taxis/grabs either if you want to go somewhere lively. Drinks at the hostel were quite expensive, and they did a banh mi night where you paid what you wanted but they suggested that you pay 40k vnd.... definitely not a local price. It just doesn't match the brand they're trying to make for themselves. Yes, the food places around the hostel are kind of cheap, but the hostel itself isn't. Also, they turn off the AC during the day which is just a bit annoying. I know why places do this but if you're ill and need to sleep during the day or something it's just a bit crap.
The staff were very nice though!

1  Thank lucyvpd
Reviewed June 13, 2018

Great hostel with super friendly staff and the best bed I've had during my travels. It is a bit outside of the touristy area, which felt like a nice change. The rooftop bar is also quite amazing. I highly recommend staying here.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends