“best value-for-money restaurant in HCMC...”
Review of Le Jardin

Le Jardin
Ranked #238 of 3,753 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I am astonished by some of the reviews below, which complain about the restaurant’s food, service and ambience.
I have been a frequent diner at Le Jardin since 2002. In all these years, spanning over a hundred visits, I have never had a bad meal or any reason to find fault with the service. The garden where Le Jardin is situated is small and next to traffic, but the greenery and flowers make you feel far away from downtown Saigon. If you don’t like dining al fresco, then you can sit in the air-conditioned room inside.
The food is great! Before opening the menu, I always check out the blackboard for the plat du jour – invariably something interesting and delicious. I know of nowhere in Saigon that serves better fish, and I especially recommend the salmon in dill sauce. Then there is the meat; I love the pepper steak and the chicken in basil. Being Irish, I like my spuds, and it’s hard to choose between the sauté and mashed potatoes. For dessert I usually go for apple crumble and ice cream. The wine menu is slender, but all the wines are tasty and remarkably good value. So is the house wine - red, white or rosé.
The service here has always been impeccable. Sometimes I wonder how on earth such delicious food can be served so quickly. The manager is a very friendly guy, who every so often treats me and my friends to free brandies at the end of a meal.
In short, Le Jardin is my favourite restaurant in Saigon.

1  Thank Kevin M

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This restaurant totally ruined my Vietnam vacation. In all my years of traveling, this is the only time I have experienced such racism. The owner approached our tour guide and said he did not welcome tourists (presumably Asians because he was entertaining Caucasian clients). He even asked who was going to pay for our meal! Our meal has been PREPAID since we were on a private tour! I lost my appetite and walked out halfway through my meal. This happened last Saturday, December 29th, at 7 p.m. I am still shocked and angry about the entire experience!

7  Thank Suzetteyukho
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived at the restaurant on Dec. 29 at about 7:00 pm. We were a group of 11 people on tour (all family members). No less than 5 mins. upon arrival, the owner approached our tour guide and told him "If I had known that this was a tourist booking, I would not have allowed it. This place is for locals". We were shocked and confused at this comment as we saw several Caucasian people eating there. He further went on to ask our tour guide "Who is going to pay for this?" We found this comment extremely rude considering that the booking was paid for weeks in advance. Does he think we cannot afford to pay? My wife was so disgusted with this that she immediately stormed out and refused to set foot in the place. I wanted to leave too but our tour guide said that it would be a waste as the food was already paid for and it was too late to make another booking as we are a large group. Admittedly, the food was not bad but not one person in our group really had the appetite that evening. We just ate what we can and left the place. Once outside, our tour guide told me that the owner said a lot more things but it would be best for him not to tell us so as not to make matters worse. I guess if you are Asian looking, you are not welcome here.

4  Thank RaymundMNL
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Beautiful garden, super quick service and reasonable price. Food was nice however all elements on plate were way too over seasoned! Rather than focusing on flavoring one they tried to do it all and to be honest it was just overpowering and the taste was lost. Duck was way to salt and peppered on the skin, side of vegetables had way too much garlic and sautéed potatoes way too much oil and salt!!

1  Thank Amandajeanwhite
Reviewed December 7, 2012

great outdoor seating area in the garden. had some spaghetti carbonara which was quite good. the menu is solid and overall a good experience - would come back