“Disappointing food and bad atmosphere”
Review of La Fourchette - CLOSED

La Fourchette
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We went to this place to have dinner and looking foward to eat good French food according the review I had read on this website.
We were really disappointed since the food is bad.
I had the salad with prawns and basilic vinegar. The prawns were ok but they came with a green salad and mashed potatoes under ! The mix is really not French and not tasty.
My friend ordered the duck breast: the meat didn't taste at all French and there was much more fat than real meat.
As a dessert, we had the crème brûlée. Nothing special to say about it despite it was too sugary and not fine at all.

The owner tried to recreate the atmosphere of a French bistrot but he didn't really succeed. You don't feel at ease, the light is too flashy.

Eventually, I think the prices are too high for the quality you get. I would not advise this place to enjoy a French dinner in town.

1  Thank roulie

Reviewed November 13, 2012

First of all, let me state that we went here on the recommendation from a friend who visited the restaurant over two years previously, when things may have been somewhat better. If we had read some of the more recent and less-than-glowing comments already on this website, we probably would not have gone there. Please take note. Although the restaurant appeared to be full; upstairs, where we sat in the non-smoking area, it was empty and somewhat devoid of atmosphere.

My husband had a starter of white beans and anchovies; he said it was very nice, but that was the only positive thing he had to say about the place. For his main course, he selected the black pudding with mashed potato. It sounded good, but really was not.

I ordered steak which arrived with previously frozen, and now burnt, fries together with overcooked vegetables swimming in garlic. The steak resembled something that is usually served between two slices of bread.

Curiously a large pot of very bland mustard appeared on the table prior to the mains arriving, but this actually proved to be a blessing as it added what was missing from the main courses: flavour.

We found the service to be more than a little strange. The waitress brought our wine and water and then continued to pour wine into our glasses every time we took a sip. I thought the best course of action was to keep my wine glass in my hand. This did not stop her; whilst the glass was nearly to my mouth it was filled again until it was nearly over flowing.

In brief then: High expectations, the menu looked good, but the food and service failed to deliver.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We picked it based on the reviews here and were terribly let down. Food was salty and tasteless. We left with a headache from something in the food, felt like an msg overload. Worst French food we've ever had. And fairly expensive for the offering. Waitress was bossy and ignored requests. There are so many good restaurants in HCMC, please do NOT come here. It will be the lowlight of your vacation.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

at 10pm on a Saturday night, after finishing the main course, I was told that there was no desserts because the kitchen was closed. Apart from that, the ground floor is a mist of cigarette smoke, and the first floor reminds of the decoration of a grandma's bedroom in the 70"s

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Nice owner, good service downstairs, not so nice hostess upstairs.
Smoking and bar and very relaxing downstairs.
The food is exceptionally good, Foie grass, must have Rack of Lamb, Escargot, Soup DE Poisson "awesome". Great variety of French wine and digestive.