“it sure isn't La Villa”

Ranked #121 of 3,710 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our fully air-conditioned dining room, resembles a large italian authentic "trattoria". A large list of Italian wines available as well as a selection of other international lables " Our staff will be ready to help You with the right choice ". Following the great success in the heart of the city, the Pendolasco family has opened a new branch, for all the people living in the many residential areas located around district 2. What was once an old villa has been brought back to a beautiful restaurant that with its decorations. As the original Pendolasco, the new restaurant offers authentic Italian dishes such as the traditional : " Wood fire oven Pizza " Looking for a good meal delivered to their door steps ? Try Our great delivery team !
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was sulking because we had tried to get into La Villa and they were fully booked and this first resturant we could find open in the area at the time of night we were there. There was a Japanese across the road which we could have tried. Wanting to go to La Villa may have influenced my perceptions a little and to be frank my next desire was to be eating local food given this was our first night in Vietnam.

The pizza was okay. I am a bit hard on pizza these days as The Husband makes brilliant ones in the Weber and if a pizza isn't better than Husband's why am I eating it? To be fair since Husband has become the pizza expert, only one Pizza in Rome has been better.

The rest of the menu would have been fine anywhere 10 degrees cooler but given it was about 9:30pm and it was still over 34 degrees, dear lord, there was no way I was eating pasta.

I guess if you are desperate for an Italian fix this would be the go.

Further irritation was the table of French expats talking about how much money they made, and then they moved on to running down some guy from Singapore that they did business with.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've been a customer at this restaurant for many years, but the recently hired manager is too arrogant. I can't enjoy this place anymore. Just two examples: We recently had made arrangements for a nice dinner with 6 friends. We wanted to sit outside in the courtyard and enjoy the nice atmosphere, since it was rather noisy inside. About 20 minutes after we started our dinner, an "Italian Movie Night" started on the open air roof terrace. When we asked whether it would be possible to turn the volume of the film down a little bit (it was so noisy that we had to shout at each other and a normal conversation was impossible), he made clear that it was our fault not to know about the movie night, since they do this every two weeks on a Wednesday. And no, it was not possible to reduce the volume of the music. Experience #2 was at lunch. The three of us shared a large bottle of San Pellegrino. When one person then ordered the set lunch, which includes a soft drink, he explained to the waitress that he was already drinking the San Pellegrino and asked it it would be possible to have a coffee with his set lunch instead of the soft drink. The manager decided that this was not possible and thereby clearly proved that he has the wrong job. Someone in that position should know that a little flexibility with his regular patrons would be in order. Instead he achieved that the three of us will not come back here for a while. Hopefully when we come back in a few months he will be gone, because the service staff are really nice and friendly.

2  Thank GeniesserSaigon
Pendolasco, Manager at Pendolasco, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Following your last comment on Pendolasco restaurant manager, I'd like to apologize for any inconvenient, but as I clearly remember I was personally taking care about the 1# situation and I'm sorry that our trying to please you and your group of friends, wasn't enough for your appreciation.
As the manager of the restaurant, I'd like to welcome you back at our place anytime soon, thanks for your comments, it will help us understand your special needs.
Terawat Boontem aka Ra

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I visited this restaurant for the first time and were very impressed. We have eaten in many of the Italian Restaurants in District 1 and this one is as good if not better than all. I had Osso Bucco and it was wonderful, tender meat that fell off the bone and a rich flavoursome sauce. My wife commented that they wouldn't have to wash the plate when I finished, I ate every last bit. My wife had a pizza that looked very nice, it was too much for her and the staff kindly abliged with a takeaway pack. Only slight downside was the wine. We ordered an Australian Vasse Felix Cab Merlot and it had been stored in the fridge and was very cold. I asked for a room temp one and the waiter advised that most people liked New World wines cold and they didn't have one!!!. Being an Australian and a wine lover I didn't want to argue with him but maybe he was confusing Australians with the Brits. Next time I will call ahead and have them take one out of the fridge a few hours before we arrive. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Pendolasco is probably the best Italian option in Saigon, thousands of km away from beautiful Italy. The staff and service is of really good quality as well as the food, dessert and coffee. If you are not familiar with Asian food, then this restaurant is definitely for you.

2  Thank Seckin77
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Beautiful Italian food, Italian owner, great service absolutely delish desserts, great wine selection too. Lovely place to make you feel like you're in Europe.

1  Thank LotusLiLi