I booked a room at Hoang Hai Long using Expedia for 3 nights in early January. I called the hotel around 11:30AM to inquire room availability for an early check-in (officially check-in is 2 or 3PM). They said to come in as they have a room. Upon arrival at the Hoang Hai Long lobby, the front desk personnel ushered me to what they call a new tower. They walked me past a dining area into another building. They said welcome to Alagon, the newest member of the Hoang Hai Long Group, and which just opened less than two weeks. Found out I paid $60/night on Expedia for a Deluxe room at Hoang Hai Long Hotel and ended up with a $100/night room in a brand new hotel:
• Brand new room in a brand, spanking new hotel with grand opening on 12/25/2012
• Spacious room, in all white, with elegant décor
• Nice design and layout and with attractive hardwood floor – see photos
• Tile/marble bathroom, glass-wall shower with multiple shower heads
• Free wifi connection, but it was inconsistent
• Great breakfast with hot western items in a large dining area with many tables. This dining room seemed to be common to all three towers (Hoang Hai Long, Hoang Hai Long 2, and Alagon). The Alagon tower itself also has a few dining tables to add to those already in the larger, common dining room
• Accomodating front desk staff and management. The manager gave me a discount for an upgraded room on high floor with view of the street
• Negative – safe is not yet bolted to bottom of closet; can be picked up and carried out
Although this hotel is new and I enjoyed my stay, there are two things that they should do to make it more attractive: 1) lower the asking price. The full price for my room is $100, which is very high for a 3* hotel in that area and 2) bolt down the safe in each room.
Finally – this is a tip to all travelers to Saigon (HCMC): Book hotel rooms ahead of time using online travel agencies such as Expedia and Agoda. They offer significantly lower prices than booking directly with the hotel. I asked 3 or 4 different hotels in Saigon in person for their room prices. Without exception, their quoted prices in person are higher than those on Expedia and Agoda for the same room and same nights.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Pham Hong Thai, District 1, Hoang Hai Long hotel is your ideal destination, and just take a few walking minutes to Ben Thanh Market, City Theatre and the peoples committee.The Hoang Hai Long is centrally located in the midst of Ho Chi Minh City and within walking distance to major commercial addresses, the hotel is the perfect place for conducting business.The meeting and banquet facilities are well equipped to cater to your every need. A hotel that takes business and pleasure to heart, enjoy the best of Saigon while being pampered with super accommodation and excellent service.If you have any information need to support please do not hesitate to contact Sales Marketing Department ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Fastbooking, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Alagon Central Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hoang Hai Long 1 Hotel Ho Chi Minh City