“Good value, location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #323 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Newport Beach, California
“Good value, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

Just spent 4 nights and off tomorrow for Da Nang/Hue/Hoi An and then Hanoi. First trip to Vietnam. I got the standard room for $35.00 and it fit the bill. If you want a room to sleep and rest up a tad then the hotel is fine. Staff is great, the breakfast though limited was fine. Eggs and coffee everyday (at least for me) . Ate my pho and other viet food elsewhere. Good location. AC was fine and the rooms quiet when needed. Enjoyed aftrenoon/early evening views from the Sheraton, Majestic and Rex bars without the hotel room bill. By all means if you can afford a holiday and stay at one of these hotels do so but if not, spend $35.00 a night and have the extra $150.00 or so for drinks/food/tours and still have extra left over (yes your room will also be nicer at one of the mentioned as well). Using my free in room wireless internet as I write this which is nice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Indonesian first
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

I am writing this from the lobby while I wait for a late flight out. This is my first time to HCMC and am not familiar with the other hotels here but I would rate it comparable to the normal business hotels that I usually use in Hanoi.

I had a deluxe room while a coworker had a normal room. I would not recommend the normal room to any one that is of above average size due to the size of the bathroom but the bathroom in the deluxe room was plenty large enough (maybe bigger than some hotel rooms I have had in Japan!).

I found the place to be pretty comfortable with little or no smell of cigarette smoke (which is unually for an Asian business hotel). The beds are some of the softer than I have had in Asia so still fairly firm for most of us from the States.

English skill of the staff is not great but more than good enough for anything I needed.

All in all, I would stay here again and probably will since I will likely have more trips here in the future.

• Liked — internet speed, semi-soft beds, great pho
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelinjack3
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 4nights in total and we couldnt fault the place bar a few bugs. They will do anything you want, english is ok, they understand more then they can speak. We didnt have any problems here.

There isnt many nice places locally to eat.. but you'll find that there arent many nice places to eat in any one location.
There is a lovely bar called Go2Bar or Go Go Go Bar.. they know it in the hotel.. we ate here most days for breakfast. try the pancakes and fruit salad. Its not far from the hotel and cost about 15,000VD.. less then a Euro.

The location of the hotel is perfect its in the city centre and every thing is within easy reach, its really safe and clean too.

The maids clean your room and you get fresh laundry every day, they even do your own laundry for a small fee.

Breakfast we skipped most days as the menu is limited, but its limited everywhere for the western pallet.

Taxis cost from 50cents for approx 2miles. the drivers are always really friendly. Especially if the hotel call the taxi for you. Moped's are scary..but try them out you get used to it. Be careful who you get on with they are not all ligit..and its just as cheap to taxi around if there are more then 1 of you.

Watch out crossing the street.. its easy get into it.. just walk everyone will avoid you just be quick about it.

• Liked — bath
  • Disliked — Bugs..and the smell.. but its a problem for the city not the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank A0ife83
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2008

I stayed at the Lien An Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, for 7 nights in March 2008.

I have limited experience of hotels in Vietnam, so please take that into account.

If you are looking for a well run, really clean, pleasant place to stay - this isn't it. My original booking (made by the company I was visiting) - was for a standard room at USD$35 a night. It was filthy dirty, smelly beyond belief (drains and sewage I suspect) - and crappy dirty furniture. The aircon was like a 747 engine, totally noisy and clearly not working properly. I had a look at the few rooms they had available at short notice, and they all looked the same. There are no shower curtains or doors, so the bathroom will get wet. The floor was dirty and the bedside lamp was just sitting there. There was no power socket with 15 feet of it, really pointless.

Don't be deceived by the pictures on the website, Standard rooms look nothing like this. After the first night, I changed rooms to a Delux room. This was at the front of the building. It didn't smell of drains, was a lot cleaner (but still not great) - and had only a bath, no shower. This is their USD$90 a night room, which the company managed to negotiate down to USD$60. It had two twin size beds - it would sleep 4 people. It was a reasonable size, aircon worked (quietly) and the TV has cable stations.

I don't know if I was ripped off. When I look at the website, even the twin room looks like the one I stayed in. It may be that there is no difference between the categories, certainly nothing you can tell from the website. I wouldn't be surprised if I was not in a Delux room, and they simply charged that rate.

Despite repeated attempts to have the room cleaned properly, it never was. I knew they'd be in the room because I could see the footprints on the tiled floor.

I sleep with earplugs, and brought 4 single putty earplugs. They were in a plastic box beside the bed. One night when I went to put them in, all 4 of them had been squashed into a ball and squashed back into the container in a large blob. I questioned the management about what the hell were the staff doing with my things. They called the cleaner and she said "they fell off the table and that's what they looked like". Complete crap and total lies.

You do need earplugs, and an eye mask if the light disturbs you.

The area is pretty devoid of restaurants I wanted to eat in. Although as I was drving to the airport, I noticed a wrap place - the rice paper rolls, around the right corner at the far end of the street.

The coffee shop directly across the road is pretty hopeless. I thought I could get a good coffee there, it has a nice little balcony on the first floor... but the coffee and breakfast are no better than the included one at the hotel itself.

Breakfast was included in the rate - but there is only noodle soup or eggs and baguette. I tried both, both very ordinary. I stopped eating the noodle soup when I realised there was still mud all over the vegetables.

Hotel staff have very limited English, a couple of guys on the front desk do their best and were pretty apologetic about things. The young woman was unapologetic and pretty awful, and I believe fully capable of overcharging me. They don't have any maps or tourist information. Most of the guests seemed to be Chinese or Vietnamese.

Ben Thanh market is very close, a short walk away. Beyond that is the central area of district 1, around the Opera House and Rex Hotel. I walked to and from there, but it's a fair way. The noise on the streets is very fatiguing, crossing the road is scary - motorbikes parked on all the footpaths, and then of course there's the heat.

Accommodation in HCMC is in high demand. I'd advise anyone to try to sort it out before they arrive.

• Liked — Size of the room
  • Disliked — Just not up to standard, staff messing with my things
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business