“Yummy food, nice atmosphere and ambience”
Review of The Refinery

The Refinery
Ranked #93 of 3,406 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Description: Making great use of an unusual historic location, Saigon's old opium manufacture, The Refinery was built, designed and decorated locally with custom made furniture and lighting in the greatest Paris bistro tradition. Tucked away in a secluded courtyard, it boats a beautiful indoor seating area with many original features and a large front terrace with jasmine and greenery. Enough to make anyone forget the noise and madness of the city while sitting in the very heart of it.In this peaceful setting, one can enjoy modern European cuisine with an extensive wine list, including 18 Old and New World wines by the glass.
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I went to The Refinery last night,very cute French restaurant!
This particular restaurant was recommended by my hotel in district 3!
Very close to all the tourist sites and in the heart of HCMC
My recommendation is if you are a French fries lover like me, I would recommend the French fries here as they were the tastiest and the best I have had during my trip through Asia (simple pleasures) and the dessert "fritters with dark chocolate" was delicious and I could eat another now. Overall me and my boyfriend very much enjoyed it.

Carlos M, Manager at The Refinery, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Linda,

Thank you for your positive comments about The Refinery, we´re glad that, as a french fries-lover, you enjoyed ours the most during your trip through Asia.
Related also to your review I´d like to highlight we´re specially proud of our desserts, all of them home-made, which explains their taste and quality.

Hope to see you again in your next visit to HCMC!

There are newer reviews for The Refinery

Reviewed May 2, 2014

This place was recommended to us and it was well worth the visit, reasonably priced and nice food. It's situated in a real cool part of town.

Carlos M, Manager at The Refinery, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Ozmac64,

Thanks for your positive review about The Refinery, we really try to offer high quality food at affordable prices and, as you mentioned, our privileged and authentic location is a plus for travellers or residents who want to enjoy lunch or dinner in an original atmosphere.

Thanks again, and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Ate at the ....Vietnamese....choice among the half dozen or so choices in the square. Sadly name escapes me now, but in English it's black poppy. Wonderful menu, outstanding service, and while pricey, was in line with other higher end eateries. Great for people watching, too

Carlos M, Manager at The Refinery, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear MovinMovin,

Thanks for your positive review regarding your gastronomical experience at The Refinery Saigon, and thanks for highlighting some of our best points: menu (with extensive home-made options), high quality food and customer service, and exceptional location for taking a break on exploring the city.

You´re more than welcome at our venue in your next visit to HCMC!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

The Refinery is one of my favourite restaurant @ Saigon. i love food. i love restaurant. i love service. i love location.

Carlos M, Manager at The Refinery, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Ethopen,

It´s always a pleasure for us to read a positive review from a loyal customer, and pushes us to improve our service even further.

We hope to have the pleasure of attending you again soon

Reviewed April 24, 2014

This seems to be a place frequented by the consulate and business crowd, and their spouses-who-lunch. I had a set menu: the octopus was quite good and the pasta dish was made to perfection if not with much imagination.

I never got the water and wine I ordered which, unfortunately for the place, would have doubled my bill. I asked a couple of times to a couple of different servers. I can't understand how restaurants can't figure out their process. They do the same thing every singled day. Customer orders, customer receives, customer pays. You lose a lot of income when you can't have a breakdown in that flow chart. And there seemed to be one server for every 3-4 tables. I will say in hcmc, most places seem to have the entire staff doing everything instead of having staff assigned to be responsible for particular tables.

Anyway, sorry for the speech. The food was good, safe fare. I am fairly sure the pasta is made there. The staff are quite lovely, just not terribly motivated. The physical space is very pleasant. I would go again; today I just was tired of having to ask for things more than twice.

Dear wombatx,

Thank you for your honest and sincere feedback, we´re glad you enjoyed the home-made food, and we apologize for the inconvenience caused by the service; we have already taken the proper measures and staff training in order to avoid future issues like the one you experimented.