“Great experience making our own...”

Bat Trang Ceramic Village
Ranked #2 of 214 Shopping in Hanoi
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This traditional pottery-making village is an hour from Hanoi. Visitors can participate in pottery-making workshops and purchase already-made goods from local artisans.
Colmurano, Italy
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Great experience making our own...”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Not sure why the negative comments, if you go to the right place there are lots of warehouses with real people making handmade ceramics, we even got to make our own...amazing watching them do this tedious work and make such little money, definitely a short trip worth taking near Ha Noi.

Visited June 2013

• Vietnamese first
Ukraine
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“It's amazing to create your own ceramic products”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Nice market buying some kind of ceramic products such as bow,pot, vase and etc. And you can create your own ceramic product. It is amazing and wonderful when you see your product even it looks not nice enough :D

Then you can go to some artists house there to see the process of making ceramic products. You can have small talk with them and understand more about their hardness but full of passion.

Visited August 2012
Taichung, Taiwan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good bargain for good ceramic presents”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I went there for one day tour recommended by the hotel where i was staying.

Nice market for buy any kind of ceramic products : bow, pot, vase, games , anything ..... Be careful with the price you bargain, always reduce 30% from what the seller says.

You could also take part into the workflow of designing your own product. This is very interesting and this made my day well-worth

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Dat J
Billings, Montana
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We visited Bat Trang in December, 2013. We had read many positive things about it in travel guides. An expat friend living in VN also suggested a visit. But we were disappointed and would not recommend this trip to others. Our driver dropped us at a building that seemed to be somewhat official, where there were ceramics for sale and a pottery studio/factory on one floor. We had heard so much about pottery in Bat Trang being made traditionally the same way for thousands of years. For some reason we assumed that meant there would be small workshops with individual potters whom we could watch. Nope. The "official" building did have some women hand decorating pottery. There were racks of undecorated pottery, but no demonstration and it looked like a small factory operation. The main drag is lined with pottery shops, but most carry the same goods you can find in Hanoi or other cities. The most fun I had was wandering the back streets and taking photos. One family waved me into their compound and wanted me to join them for lunch. Another family eating on the street encouraged me to buy roasted corn on the cob from them, which I did. I joined them while eating my corn. There was no common language but a lot of smiling. I also saw some pigs rooting around near a little general store, and piles of broken or discarded pottery along a couple of streets. Got some good photographs. The biggest disappointment--which didn't become a disappointment until we returned to Hanoi--was my purchase of what was described as an OLD opium pipe. (I bought it in the "official-looking building" mentioned earlier.) These are quite collectible and come in various shapes, sizes and decorations/colors. The bowls are ceramic and the stems are metal. I had not seem these in Hanoi, although we had only been in VN for a couple of days at this point. So I chose an "old" opium pipe. My friend also bought some small pieces of pottery to take home as gifts . Upon return to Hanoi, we started seeing the same pottery (including the opium pipes) in stores. (By this time I had begun to suspect that the pipes are reproductions.) The killer was that I had paid nearly 4 times the price for the pipe I bought in Bat Trang. The items my friend bought there were also easily found in Hanoi at lower prices. So, to summarize, I would not recommend wasting your time on a trip to Bat Trang.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank NatureandLuxury
Uppsala, Sweden
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Nice outing on a Sunday”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have been to Bat Trang three times. And every time I feel that this is a tourist trap. Some shops are very expensive and if you want to buy something you must check out other stores to get the best price. An identical small plate can differ from 50.000 to 120.000 VND. Bargain is a good idea.

Last trip out there we went to "Bat Trang Conservation" (its a shop/production site on the first street when you enter the village). The kids wanted to try the turner to make a mug. It turned out to be very expensive. 1 miljon VND (45 USD) for two kids. I know better and should have asked before they started. My error. If you go to the market and ask the ladies that approach you to sell tours they can probably bring you to a place like that for much less.

Visited April 2013