“Perfect setting”

InterContinental Hanoi Westlake
Ranked #66 of 598 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Built over the water, this large and modern hotel is stylish, well run and with excellent decor. The breakfast buffet is complete and the staff have a very pleasant style. Rooms are large and well appointed. Free wifi in the lobby area is fast.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear guest,

I am very glad to know that InterContinental Hanoi Westlake made an enjoyable and memorable part of your experience in Hanoi.

Thank you very much for your comment and I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Hanoi Westlake

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Having seen the pictures on their website, I was very excited about the idea of staying in such a picturesque hotel. Nothing could be further than the truth. To say the place has a "rustic" look, would be kind. If your definition of rustic is a tired looking hotel which is too big for staff to look after let alone clean, light fixtures missing and ridden with mosquetos then look no further.

Having checked into the hotel and been shown our room (2nd floor, no lift only stairs) my husband and I decided to settle in and unpack after our flight to Hanoi. No sooner had the wash kit been unpacked, then the banging started. The electricity started to short and power went out.

Forget trying to rest and relax in your rooms, that of course would be too much to ask. It was 3pm and there was construction work going on just next door.

Bear in mind that this hotel is so BIG that to get from reception they had to drive us in a golf buggy to get to our room. This was also off peak season. They had that many rooms that the staff felt that they had to put us in the room next to where all the construction work was going on. You have to love how the staff were thinking of us.

To try to drown out the shouts, cries and constant hammering, we turned on the telly. This of course was again too much to ask for as no sooner did we switch the television on, then the power went out. This went on for at least 30 min before I rung the front desk to find out that they had a problem with the power in the hotel.

Unable to put up with the noise outside, we finally asked to change rooms where we were relocated to a quieter part of the hotel.

All in all I can safely say that I will think twice before staying at an Intercontinental again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tc-hk
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear tc-hk,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and surpass the very high standards of service our guests expect.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the on going construction has caused you and the noise challenges the situation has brought you. We regret the discomfort you have encountered during your visit.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit so we can show what we have done.

Dhan M
Case Manger
IHGCare

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was our third hotel of a three centre stay in Vietnam & not such a high standard as the other 2 Intercontinentals. This hotel looked older & was showing its age, first impressions in the public areas are good but rooms need upgrading/redecorating.
We had booked a pool view room, on check in were told we had been upgraded to a pavillion room. The room we we allocated had a terrible view, overlooking an untidy part of the local area, the pool view room would have been a far superior view. When we complained at reception the girl we initially spoke to seemed uninterested just saying the we had been upgraded, she did not seem to understand that it did not feel like an upgrade to us as the view was inferior to the room we originally booked. After speaking to our travel agent in Vietnam they contacted the hotel, who spoke to a different member of staff who immediately changed the room to a lake view room, which was much better.
After this initial problem the service that we received for the rest of our stay was very good.
Buffet breakfast was good with plenty of choices.
Location was peaceful after the bustle of Hanoi.
I would rate this hotel a 4 star rather than 5 star.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear avalonsophie,

Thank you for your comment from your recent stay with us. The hotel has a unique location surrounding by the West Lake where you can enjoy the romantic and peaceful environment. About the issue that you concern, I already brief my manager team and we will do proper retraining to our staff.

I am so sorry for any inconvenience during your stay with us.
Thank you again for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

After the noise and bustle that is Hanoi, the intercontinental was a relaxing oasis in which to recover from my jet lag after arriving in Hanoi.

Highlights included the relaxing pool deck, and quiet comfortable beds (the most comfortable I slept in in Vietnam).

The only disappointments, were the constant offers to upgrade my room for a price (offering once is enough thank you), and during my buffet breakfast one morning returning to my table to find it had been given to someone else. Seems the staff could use a little more training.

Regardless, my overall experience was very positive and relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear scbcme,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. It is a great pleasure to have you staying with us. The hotel has a unique location in the city, which is built on the surface of the West Lake. So you can enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and see the sun set over the lake everyday.
We highly appreciate all comments from our guests. We can only do better when we can hear directly from our guests. About your concern we will look for reason and fix it.
We are happy to serve you again in our hotel.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Hotel is showing a bit of age but staff were very friendly. Had issues getting more than one device onto wifi and staff couldn't solve the problem, very ordinary since it wasn't free. The lake wasn't anything special and if we returned we would probably stay closer to the old quarter.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mattv
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear mattv,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the condition of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed at the Intercon Westlake Hanoi several times for business. About 30 minutes from the airport. Beautiful view of the lake, really nice. Good Gym. Small Pool. Good Breakfast. Good Service. Rooms are decently sized and comfortable. Air-conditioning is strong. Free WIFI. Clean beds and sheets. Shower is Extremely strong. Very Hot water available on normal days except for chilly rainy days.

Room 336 in the main building that is near the local residential side is not for someone who likes to sleep in. You will literally get "cocks" waking you up at 5 to 5.30AM ! There are probably free range chickens running around on the residential side of the lake. So best if you either request for room over water or the ones facing the pool.

Metered Taxis are readily available. Never had to wait more than 10 seconds.

Room Tip: I have always preferred main building pool facing. Room over water are short walk away from lobby ra...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear HSV12,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Hanoi Westlake. It was a great pleasure to have you staying with us. I hope our hotel has become a good part of your trip in Hanoi, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Adam McDonald,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was on a short vacation so I stayed here for only 1 night. I didn't have intention of going to the gym so I did not bring my shoes along. Yet in the morning, a couple friends of mine asked me to go there with them. When I got there with my traveling flip-flop, the gym staff informed me I had to leave because I did not have proper shoes AS INDICATED IN THE GYM RULES AND REGULATIONS POSTED AT THE ENTRANCE. I said "ok" and went to see their regulation post. To my surprise, there was nothing mentioning about clothing and shoes. So I told the staff why he had made up something not written there. He did not believe me in the first place and kept insisting that there was such clause. He did not even bother to look at the regulation post so I went there again, took a picture of it and showed to him. The staff seemed really puzzled as if he had just seen the regulation post for the first time. Not knowing what to do after telling me a straight lie, he directed me to the duty manager.
The duty manager told me that according to the gym rules, I needed to put on sport shoes. Once again, I told him that I would like to respect and follow the hotel rules BUT there was no such clause on the rule post at the gym. I even showed him the picture I had taken earlier. The duty manager seemed really puzzled too after telling me another straight lie so he asked me to wait. He also told me he could prove that there was such clause on the gym rule. He went to his office and typed another gym rule paper on the spot, printed it out and showed me. He went on to tell me that he could decide the change of rules as he wanted since he managed the hotel on that day. He said guests must obey what he decided. I was very shocked since I had never experienced any service like that in a 5 star hotel. I don't think customers pay big bucks to stay in a 5 star hotel just to get a big lie and then get told to listen and follow accordingly.
In a nutshell, this was the worst hotel service experience I have ever had in my life so far!

P/s: I have included in this review two pictures I took that day. One is the gym regulation post at the entrance of the gym with NO CLAUSE MENTIONING ANYTHING ABOUT SPORT SHOES OR CLOTHES. The other one is the gym regulation the duty manager quickly made up to cover his lie! You can easily tell that the one at the gym is more legit with this InterCon seal on it whereas the other one is just a quick print-out.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Traveler O

Dear Traveler O,
Thank you for your comment from your recent stay with us. We are welcome all guests comments to make us better.
I can understand how you were disappointed. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this must have caused you. Every effort is made to ensure that our Guests receive the very best service, and we sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance.

I will share your comment with the team and we hope that we can have other opportunities to show you our best service.

Please contact me directly at my email: adam.mcdonald@ihg.com if I can be any of assistance.