“Right on the lake”

InterContinental Hanoi Westlake
Ranked #68 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is a new construction built into the lake: several small buildings on top of the water. The result is an unusual Intercontinental hotel in a very peaceful and nice place. My room was in one of the pavilions on the lake and it was quite large and nice. Staff is very kind and the breakfast is extremely rich. A couple of small issues (ceiling shower not working and the bar loose my order) did not spoil the staying but they show that there is room to improve.
Moreover the WiFi should be extended to all rooms, whereas now it is only available in the common areas (wired connection in the rooms).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake.
I would like to update you that all our guest rooms now have WiFi coverage to bring our guest great stay experience.
I will share your comment with the team to make sure we meet the highest standard in serving our guests.

We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel provides a wonderful base to explore the city of Hanoi. Well positioned on the beautiful lake, the team here are great at sharing knowledge of the city, so you know where to go and explore the best of it. Hotel team coordinate taxi's for you and the cost of short ride to city is very cheap. Having explored the city, go back there and enjoy the peaceful serenity. Hanoi is bustling and busy but back at the hotel, the rooms are very large, lake views are amazing and the service is genuinely friendly and warm. Peaceful serenity for sure and sitting at the sunset bar ( at sunset of course ) is truly magical. I would always choose the club option for sheer value and true luxury offerings.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the lake, sit on the balcony and enjoy the ambience
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 29carral
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agreed with you that Club InterContinental bring great value to our guests.

Our hotel has a unique location in Hanoi where you can relax and enjoy the quiet and peaceful environment although not so far to the city center, only 10 minutes by taxi.

I am very proud that my team can anticipate your needs. I will share your comments with the whole team to recognize their efforts.

Thank you to sharing your experience and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Adam McDonald - General Manager

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a luxurious five star business-class hotel but it's not opulent, so don't expect grand atriums and original artwork adorning the walls. Do though enjoy the rooms built over the water as they're comfortable and well designed. I had a separate bath and walk-in shower, desk with a usable chair, small terrace over the water (very relaxing) and a switch by the bed that turns off ALL the room lights (so many hotels fail with this simple wiring job). Wi-fi is free everywhere with a good signal. When you're there do have a drink at the pavilion bar - it's very serene and they will bring food for the restaurants if you want to eat there. Breakfast is also comprehensive and efficient too, with something for every cuisine and culture. Sadly the swimming pool is only really good for leisure and it was a little cold.

Now for the downside. You're not in the city centre so although there are a few things around I don't recommend you stroll out too far. Best is to get a hotel taxi and expect a fifteen minute ride to restaurants and picturesque places. Also watch for the mosquitoes - being waterfront they love your legs for dinner.

Overall though very comfortable in-line with the Intercon brand. I'd stay there again and I got US$100 a night including breakfast which really is an excellent rate. Recommended if you don't mind needing a taxi to get anywhere worthwhile.

Room Tip: Try for a room over the water. The best ones face away from the hotel and offer panoramic river view...
1  Thank SingaporeBizTravel
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your great comments. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Every room in our hotel has a balcony with furniture where you can relax and enjoy the beautiful view of the famous West Lake. Our Sunset Bar on the water between pavilions is also a very nice place for you to see the panorama of the Lake.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had a very nice stay for a night en route to Ha Long Bay. Great view, calm setting, spacious room, and good breakfast selection. The hospitality was helpful too. Enjoyed a drink at the sunset bar in evening, would recommend it for a relaxing spot. Would recommend!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessie810

It is glad that you have a great experience with InterContinental Hanoi Westlake. I will share your comment with my team to recognize their efforts.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

A bit impersonal, out of the city so you have the hassle of taxis . The rooms are fine and typical of an international 5 star. Suggest you request rooms on the 'piers' as they offer balcony and larger bathrooms.
Use hotel taxis where possible, the street taxis from my experience are nothing more than thieves, if they dont rob you with the fair, they rob you with the change, if they dont rob you with the change they will rob you with your inability to recognise the zeros on the notes. If you have gold false teeth dont wear them in public. They will park at journeys end in some dark corner and have there wicked way with your well earned. Be warned !

This is another international hotel that charges for wi-fi, except in the bar and eating areas.... of course. For this reason I wont stay here again, i find it annoying and it makes me feel like a touristy cash cow .
Other than that the hotel is fine, I would sellect one closer to the city next time, however if youve booked here you will be comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulCC

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. It is great that you like our rooms over the lake. Our hotel has a unique location in the city. The hotel is built on the surface of the West Lake where you can relax and enjoy the peaceful environment and not so far the city center. If you take the hotel taxi to the center it takes only 10 minutes. We always have a recommended taxi list for our guests available at the Concierge desk.

We are looking forward to serving you again.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was so disappointed by the staff's reaction to my request.

I was woken up with itching arms in the middle of the night wondering if there are some bugs in the bed.
In fact, I was bitten by mosquitos in 4, 5 places, and quickly called the reception to bring me some cream to sooth the itch, and also a repellent spray.
Desperately itching and dying to get back to sleep, the answer I got was, 'look in the drawer next to the mini-bar.'
Fair enough, so there is a mosquito repellent next to wines and peanuts, but are you trying to sell me this when I am in need of help?
...and it's a repellent. I'm getting a burning itch!!!.

All this conversation really put me off and have to say, a massive let down.

The place is nice, spacious, and rooms are quite OK - meaning they must charge quite a bit for this place, so this treat from the staff was a big disappointment. A shock.

1  Thank carioca500
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment from your recent stay with us. We are welcome all guests comments to make us better.
I can understand how you were disappointed.
I already brief my manager team and we will do proper retraining to our staff.
Sorry for any inconvenience during your stay with us.

Thank you again for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Reading the other reviews I wondered if we had stayed at the same hotel. This is a typical international hotel and you could be anyplace in the world. This hotel is miles from anywhere and is by the side of a lake with a wonderful view from the restaurant of a garbage tip. We were joining a tour here and had just come from a boutique hotel in the Old Quarter to meet the rest of our tour party. The hotel rooms were very dark with poor lighting and dark wood furniture. We had come to this hotel from a 3 star hotel and this is purportedly 5 star but I seems to me that the rating should be the other way around.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for the feedback.

I am disappointed to read your comments. We have generally received very positive comments about our hotel facilities. The hotel is less than five years old and the newest five star hotel in Hanoi. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation.

Thank you again for your comments, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.