“Ideal for a quick trip to Hanoi”

InterContinental Hanoi Westlake
Ranked #65 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Singapore, Singapore
“Ideal for a quick trip to Hanoi”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a luxurious five star business-class hotel but it's not opulent, so don't expect grand atriums and original artwork adorning the walls. Do though enjoy the rooms built over the water as they're comfortable and well designed. I had a separate bath and walk-in shower, desk with a usable chair, small terrace over the water (very relaxing) and a switch by the bed that turns off ALL the room lights (so many hotels fail with this simple wiring job). Wi-fi is free everywhere with a good signal. When you're there do have a drink at the pavilion bar - it's very serene and they will bring food for the restaurants if you want to eat there. Breakfast is also comprehensive and efficient too, with something for every cuisine and culture. Sadly the swimming pool is only really good for leisure and it was a little cold.

Now for the downside. You're not in the city centre so although there are a few things around I don't recommend you stroll out too far. Best is to get a hotel taxi and expect a fifteen minute ride to restaurants and picturesque places. Also watch for the mosquitoes - being waterfront they love your legs for dinner.

Overall though very comfortable in-line with the Intercon brand. I'd stay there again and I got US$100 a night including breakfast which really is an excellent rate. Recommended if you don't mind needing a taxi to get anywhere worthwhile.

Room Tip: Try for a room over the water. The best ones face away from the hotel and offer panoramic river view...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SingaporeBizTravel
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Every room in our hotel has a balcony with furniture where you can relax and enjoy the beautiful view of the famous West Lake. Our Sunset Bar on the water between pavilions is also a very nice place for you to see the panorama of the Lake.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Adam McDonald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had a very nice stay for a night en route to Ha Long Bay. Great view, calm setting, spacious room, and good breakfast selection. The hospitality was helpful too. Enjoyed a drink at the sunset bar in evening, would recommend it for a relaxing spot. Would recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessie810
It is glad that you have a great experience with InterContinental Hanoi Westlake. I will share your comment with my team to recognize their efforts.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Doncaster
Reviewed March 12, 2013

A bit impersonal, out of the city so you have the hassle of taxis . The rooms are fine and typical of an international 5 star. Suggest you request rooms on the 'piers' as they offer balcony and larger bathrooms.
Use hotel taxis where possible, the street taxis from my experience are nothing more than thieves, if they dont rob you with the fair, they rob you with the change, if they dont rob you with the change they will rob you with your inability to recognise the zeros on the notes. If you have gold false teeth dont wear them in public. They will park at journeys end in some dark corner and have there wicked way with your well earned. Be warned !

This is another international hotel that charges for wi-fi, except in the bar and eating areas.... of course. For this reason I wont stay here again, i find it annoying and it makes me feel like a touristy cash cow .
Other than that the hotel is fine, I would sellect one closer to the city next time, however if youve booked here you will be comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PaulCC
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. It is great that you like our rooms over the lake. Our hotel has a unique location in the city. The hotel is built on the surface of the West Lake where you can relax and enjoy the peaceful environment and not so far the city center. If you take the hotel taxi to the center it takes only 10 minutes. We always have a recommended taxi list for our guests available at the Concierge desk.

We are looking forward to serving you again.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was so disappointed by the staff's reaction to my request.

I was woken up with itching arms in the middle of the night wondering if there are some bugs in the bed.
In fact, I was bitten by mosquitos in 4, 5 places, and quickly called the reception to bring me some cream to sooth the itch, and also a repellent spray.
Desperately itching and dying to get back to sleep, the answer I got was, 'look in the drawer next to the mini-bar.'
Fair enough, so there is a mosquito repellent next to wines and peanuts, but are you trying to sell me this when I am in need of help?
...and it's a repellent. I'm getting a burning itch!!!.

All this conversation really put me off and have to say, a massive let down.

The place is nice, spacious, and rooms are quite OK - meaning they must charge quite a bit for this place, so this treat from the staff was a big disappointment. A shock.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank carioca500
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment from your recent stay with us. We are welcome all guests comments to make us better.
I can understand how you were disappointed.
I already brief my manager team and we will do proper retraining to our staff.
Sorry for any inconvenience during your stay with us.

Thank you again for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Reading the other reviews I wondered if we had stayed at the same hotel. This is a typical international hotel and you could be anyplace in the world. This hotel is miles from anywhere and is by the side of a lake with a wonderful view from the restaurant of a garbage tip. We were joining a tour here and had just come from a boutique hotel in the Old Quarter to meet the rest of our tour party. The hotel rooms were very dark with poor lighting and dark wood furniture. We had come to this hotel from a 3 star hotel and this is purportedly 5 star but I seems to me that the rating should be the other way around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for the feedback.

I am disappointed to read your comments. We have generally received very positive comments about our hotel facilities. The hotel is less than five years old and the newest five star hotel in Hanoi. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation.

Thank you again for your comments, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights. I received kind, personalized service from the staff whether it was in the dining room, front desk or the doorman. The room was large and well furnished. It had many amenities including wired and wireless internet. The connection was fairly fast. TV had 45 channels of multi language service including CNN, BBC. The breakfast had a very large assortment of things for both a western guest and an asian one. The sink plug while you push it down to hold water didn't do it very well but I had a rubber sink cover and therefore it was fine.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank e10750law
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a InterContinental hotel we are proud of our personalized service. I will share your comment with my team to encourage their efforts.

Thank you and we are looking forward to seeing again soon.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is an immaculate hotel with wonderful service. Great location and view. Free WIFI in the main building. very fast check in & out. freindly personnel.

Oddly, they do not have a 24 hour coffee shop. Only room service after 11pm or order in the bar outside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your great comment. I am very glad that you enjoyed our hotel facilities as well as our service.
Our room service will serve you 24 hours.

We are looking forward to serving you again.