“great view”

Ranked #65 of 589 Hotels in Hanoi
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“great view”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the InterContinental hotel for 2 nights and I just loved the experience! The view over the lake was just lovely. Breakfast was really good, my boyfriend even said he had the best omelette at the buffet restaurant. Club lounge was nice too, just a bit to improve, the cocktails served in the evening were made of too much alcohol. Overall we had a very nice stay there! Be back for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is lovely that you have a great experience with us. I will share your comment with my team to encourage them.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Adam McDonald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The facilities and setting are great, however, this hotel lacks that very special ingredient, a soul that makes a five star hotel shine.
Many staff just seem to go through the motions without any genuine pleasure or friendliness. The concierge was less than helpful. When our guide asked for city maps for our tour group, she stated that they were only for business groups. We stayed in both the villas and the main hotel and were upgraded to a suite, both are excellent, however, I would recommend the main hotel. Service in the sunset bar was slow and drinks expensive. The breakfast buffet is excellent, but the main dining room is very large and noisy. Althought the hotel is about a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride into the old quarter, the location is good with some cosy bars and cafes to choose from. You can also walk around the lake without being mown down by thousands of motorbikes. The hotel generally? A mixed bag and not up to the Intercontinental standard of service one would expect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is very good to hear from our guests. I am happy that you like our hotel setting and facilities, our rooms and our breakfast.

I will share your feedback with my team to make sure they understand guest’s needs and to improve their service.

Thank you again and we hope to have opportunity to welcome you back.

New York, NY
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Good location, very nice staff. Stayed 2 nights. 1st night no problem. 2nd night, MAJOR construction at 11pm behind the hotel, just across the lake. I asked the front desk what time they would finish. They were nice enough to send someone out who returned and said 2am!!! The staff then offered me a room across the hall on the other side of the hotel and said I could keep both rooms, leaving my stuff in the original room. I agreed and as I started to move a few things over, the construction stopped (around 11:30pm). A dog kept barking but what can you do. :) Either way, the staff was really very nice about it.

Reasonably clean room but not immaculate, an errant hair here and there. Decent buffet b'fast. Hotel is MUCH better than the Sheraton next door where I previously stayed. I recommend it for Hanoi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the hotel's front side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank brucegz
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. Our staff is always happy to help our guests. For some outside issues which you mentioned, we could not interact. Our team always tried their best to make a great experience during your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Intercontinenal Hanoi is a fantastically situated hotel. On Westlake itself, its views are simply phenomenal. I highly recommend the hotel on that basis.

The only issue I found was with the service on check-in at the executive lounge. Although the staff showed a genuine effort to complete our check-in efficiently and effectively, they failed dismally in this regard. It took an extraordinarily long time, and was compounded by a number of misunderstandings regarding the upgrade I was entitled to as part of my Ambassador membership ( a matter which should have been simply dealt with). The crowning disappointment of this process was being told that they were unable to put a 'hold' on my credit card as it was a Visa debit card, and that I couldn't therefore use any of the hotel services and sign them to my room. While this in itself wasn't an issue, they proceeded to nonetheless put a hold on my card which took over a week to disappear - subsequent communications with the hotel to have the matter sorted resulted in a number of inconsistent statements being made (ranging from 'we didn't put a hold on your card' to 'we charged your card' before transforming into 'yes, that's a hold on your card for the deposit'), and left me with a feeling of dissatisfaction.

Those issues aside, the service in the executive lounge was generally friendly and efficient, and I enjoyed the various culinary offerings during happy hour. The hotel room was absolutely superb, and the views over the lake were similarly amazing. As I said previously, I would highly recommend the hotel on this basis alone.

The food available from room service was also delicious, with both excellent local fare and also Western food with a French influence. The black Angus baguette with Brie and rocket lettuce was one of the best things I ate over the entire holiday.

The gym was also well appointed and staffed.

In summary: service could improve, but the hotel itself is very good.

Room Tip: Get a room on a pavilion overlooking the lake. It's well worth it. And try the black Angus bague...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am very happy that you love our hotel. InterContinental Hanoi Westlake has a unique location which is on the surface of the famous West Lake. Staying with us you can enjoy beautiful environment with delicious dishes. Our gym is also very well equipped with modern machines.

Our staff is always friendly and helpful. I will share your feedback with our InterContinental Club staff to make sure that will not happen again.

Thank you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.
Adam McDonald - General Manager
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had been staying in a hotel in the old quarter but decided to move after some issues. We had been to the Christmas Brunch here on Christmas day and decided to treat ourselves for the last 3 nights of our holiday after the stress we had with the other hotel and booked into a deluxe club room.
On check it took a little bit to find our booking but we had only booked it less than an hour earlier. We were told we were being upgraded (yay) to a room on the lake. We went into the little buggy to the room only to find a manager showing another couple into our room. He said just wait a minute and opened a room up across the hallway and said they would get our new cards to us. The room had not been stayed in for some time and was very dusty and quite a lot of flies around.

After the drama of the day (with the 4 hours minibus trip from Halong Bay included in this) we decided to go to the cocktail hour and leave it. We previously have stayed at the Intercontinental in a club room in Saigon and were utterly stunned at the difference, there was no one serving, when you helped yourself to a drink and a member of staff did happen to show up they acted like you were stealing the stuff. We had dinner reservations that night somewhere else so left after 30 mins. The next morning for breakfast it was even worst, the table had not been made up from people that had already eaten, we tried for 15 minutes to get someones attention to take our breakfast order, it was a case of who shouts the loudest next is served next. There were no fruit juice or water out to help yourselves so another battle to order again and when the breakfast arrived 20 minutes later it was stone cold. At this is point we had no energy left to complain and the next day went to Jackson Steakhouse for an amazing breakfast brunch.
We had a early flight so booked the Mercedes airport transfer and when we checked out they asked why we had brought our own suitcases to reception but no one at any point had said to let them know and they would pick them up.

There is no hotel information in the room regarding check in/check out time or the restaurants opening hours etc, we were never given a city map/guide and never saw any leaflets around the hotel I would expect more from a B&B in the UK. We found our room very noisy on the lake, boats starting up early hours, dog barking for most of the night, not that we would come here again but we wish we would have stayed in the main building.

I think that a lot of lessons need to be learnt from their sister hotel in Saigon who truly know what 5 star service is all about.

Room Tip: Stay in the main part of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear ShellywUK,

Thank you for the feedback, we always appreciate information that can make us better.

I am disappointed to read your comments as we have obviously let us and you down and not delivered on the service expected.

The actions of the colleague as you described it in showing you a room is not per our procedures, this is unacceptable and I would like your assistance to provide more information so I can follow up.

The club lounge experience is not what I would expect, and honestly not one I have heard from. This team do generally do a great job in the mornings and evening, it offers great value for money for our guests. On this occassion it would seem we have not provided this.

I am surprised to read about you not having information, each room on the desk has a compendium and a monthly newsletter on what we are offering in the hotel restaurants and bars.

If you could provide me your booking details I will be able to follow up. I can be contacted directly at adam.mcdonald@ihg.com.

Appreciate your feedback, I apologise for the issues you experienced.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We thought we'd spend New Year's Eve at a nice hotel...

Arrived after a four hour trip, the bellman promptly took our bags and gave me a ticket, we went into reception to check-in.

They couldn't find our booking, after 10mins trying to find our booking, I went outside for a cigarette, to my surprise our bags were left outside, unattended. The only staff within sight of our bags was the girl who opens the door, and she was on the Internet on her phone. The ticket given to me absolves the hotel of all responsibility for our bags yet they leave them outside.

I went back in and my wife had been offered a seat, while we still had to wait a further 10 mins for them to find our booking. Every hotel we stayed in during this trip offered us a complimentary drink on arrival and they didn't keep us waiting.

The room had a good view of West Lake, but was not clean for a five star hotel. If you charge five star prices, I do not expect dusty cobwebs above the bed. The doors to the balcony slide, the floor runners were full of detritus. The wooden floors were heavily scratched. The shower had mould spores. And the bath panel was jammed in with bits of folded rubber. There are boxes in the bathroom with toiletries and tissues, they were covered with dried phlegm as if someone had coughed on them.

There are wall decorations in the room made in the same style as the bath panel that are made of cheap hollow plastic, nice tacky, cheap feel for a five star.

We spoke to two concierge during our stay, one couldn't be bothered and the other was very helpful and got tipped for it.

The staff in the restaurants were extremely good and again we tipped as appropriate. Our time in the restaurants were the only time I we felt we got five star service. A young man named Son was particularly attentive and served us for both dinner and breakfast. Many thanks Son.

Having worked in a five star hotel myself, the issue is house-keeping, maintenance, reservations, front office.

If you can't sort out my booking I expect to be offered at least a drink while you sort out your mistake. And don't leave my bags unattended.

Do not put guests into rooms that are not clean.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Ceejayvee
Dear Ceejayvee,

Thank you for the recent feedback on your stay at the hotel. It was disappointing to read your comments and that we have not lived up to our expectations.

It is disappointing to hear about your check-in experience and that we were not attentive enough to be in the moment with you. You are quite right your bags should not have been left attended, perhaps our doorman was called away, but someone else should have been there to cover for him.

The cleanliness of the room is not per our standards and I have given your feedback to our Housekeeping team to follow up with the attendant and supervisor.

I would like to thank you for the feedback and apologise for the experience. If you are back in Hanoi, please do let me know so I can personally oversee your stay. I can be contacted at adam.mcdonald@ihg.com

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Everything great here... So I have nothing negative to write about this place.

Rooms, restaurants, service, design, location, atmosphere etc. everything top nice.

Even the "limousine" service from the airport was amazing.

Will for sure be back asap!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris V
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I am very happy that you enjoyed everything during your stay with us.

We are waiting to welcoming you back with us at the soonest time.

Adam McDonald - General Manager