“A little peace and quiet in mad mad Hanoi”

InterContinental Hanoi Westlake
Ranked #64 of 579 Hotels in Hanoi
Shanghai, China
“A little peace and quiet in mad mad Hanoi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The property is really stunning and located in a lovely area on the actual lake. It was charming to wake up to the serenity. Hanoi is just crazy crazy...so the hotel provided some peace and quiet from the hectic pace. The room is very nice and the staff was professional.

On the flipside, the wifi range could improve and the conciege unfortunately gave us instructions to a restaurant close by which for the life of us we could not find.

Overall a lovely hotel. Try to book a room on the second floor as I suspect the ground floor could get damp as its so close to the water.

Room Tip: Request a second room if you can. Also, as a general tip in Hanoi, avoid any other brands of taxis e...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay with us. I am happy that our staff can deliver the best service to our guests.

We offer complimentary WiFi in all hotels public areas like lobby, restaurants, bars and swimming pool.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back with us.

Adam McDonald - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Arrived at the hotel, no wifi in the room, and after 3 service calls a connection was made. The door lock on the room was broken, two service calls later it was fixed. The hotel is on the lake which smells and dead fish float by. The rooms are very dated and worn. The hotel is in a poor location. I am a Priority Club member and received an upgrade to a lake view room which had views of the lake but the next hotel wing blocked my view. The hotel was overpriced, we previously stayed at the hilton for 3 nights before our Halong Bay tour and that was cheaper and better quality. The stay was not pleaseant at all. I could go on.

Room Tip: Don't stay here there are many better hotels
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
G_Manager-ICH, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear glennp1912,

Thank you for the feedback.

I am disappointed to read your comments. I am surprised about your belief our rooms are dated, the hotel is less than five years old and the newest five star hotel in Hanoi.

I think there is good value in Hanoi, please let me know how you booked, I always encourage our guests to use intercontinental.com to ensure they get the best possible rate.

The local government are working hard to keep the Hanoi area which has many lakes clean and vibrant.

Thank you again for your comments, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Adam McDonald
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I were in North Vietnam in October and stayed at this property twice (2 days each side of a Halong Bay tour). We are Ambassador members, which in itself speaks to our loyalty to IC hotels, and our stay at the Westlake was of the expected high standard. On each stay we had a room with a picturesque view overlooking the lake - beautiful sunsets. The second time we were upgraded to a suite. We thought the first room was large so we were really taken aback by the impressive size of the suite - a wonderful treat. The rooms were very clean, the bed, sheets and pillows of top quality. The bathroom was large, good supply of towels and a great walk-in shower.
The staff both at the main desk and the Ambassador reception were attentive, more than willing to provide assistance and quick to respond to any need we had. We had the opportunity to speak to the Manager, Adam, on several occasions as he was "checking in" with guests on their experience. For us it was evident that the management and staff truly want the guests to have a positive experience during their stay. We had breakfast at both the Club lounge and the restaurant. It was excellent - great choice, great quality and pleasant ambiance. The Club Lounge happy hour was very good with a wide variety of nibblies and a good selection of drinks (in other words my husband got a martini that met his standards!). We ate at the main restaurant for dinner once and found it of very good quality and value.
The pool was lovely particularly after a busy, noisy day of sightseeing. Although we only used the bicycles, the gym was cool, clean and had a good range of equipment. Taxis were readily available and metered and appeared to be taking the shortest route.....which is not always the case in Hanoi:)
All in all a very positive experience and would recommend to folks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It is great to read such kind of good comments. I am very happy that my team can create a memorable experience for you. We want to bring personalized service, which InterContinetal hotels stand for, to every guest.

Our InterContinetal club is truly an added value which you can recommend to your friends.

Our gym has the most modern equipment in town.

Thank you for the feedback again and we are looking forward to seeing you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental for two nights and wished we could have stayed longer! We upgraded to have use of the club, which I would highly recommend. The lounge serves a great breakfast, and has drinks and canapés in the evening, all really lovely. Well worth upgrading to! The hotel is not right in the heart of Hanoi but the hotel has taxi's waiting for you and its a 5-10 min trip into Hanoi. We really liked the fact that we could come back to the hotel each night to escape the busy city! The whole place looks beautiful at night and from our balcony looking over the river, we saw heaps of vietnamese couples having their wedding photos taken with the hotel as their backdrop. Rooms were spacious, modern and comfortable (great pillows)! We had free wifi with the club upgrade which was good! Service was amazing, and restaurants very good. Sunset bar looked stunning but didn't get a chance to go. Would love to come back here in the future!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your comments. Such kind of compliment always encourages us to work even better. I will share your feedback with my team to recognize their efforts.

I agree with you that InterContinetal club is highly recommended to your friends.

Our hotel is located on the West Lake and each room has their own balcony where you can enjoy the beautiful view and quiet atmosphere.

We hope to have opportunity to serving you again soon.

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

When I arrived the man at reception desk was very unfiendly. He asked for my credit card unpolitely and gave us a very bad room. Just in front of the kitchen, in the low level. i could hear the noise of the plates while in the room. And the room was quite basic and semlly. I didn´t like it at all, except for the bathroom that was nice and quite modern.
The staff at the Concierge was very friendly, but couldn´t change my mind of not coming here anymore.
I think that the Villas and suites on the likes probably are a much better deal-
The location is bad, far from everything.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms in the low floor, at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear HaikuVoyage,

Thank you for the recent feedback on your stay. I apologise if the room allocated was not to your liking, we do not receive much feedback about this, but certainly worth following up.

Can I ask if you requested a room move? If so we are always more than happy to do what we can, guest have different tastes and requirements.

I would like the opportunity to have another chance, please let me know when you intend to return to Hanoi so I can personally take care of your needs. I can be contacted at adam.mcdonald@ihg.com

Adam McDonald
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Was in Hanoi in September for a meeting and stayed at the InterContinental Hanoi Westlake for 3 nights. Love the lake view from my room as well as the beautiful sunset. The breakfast was yummy and do not miss the breads, it was carbs overload all 3 days for me! Guess I won't mind heading over for another weekend getaway soon if I can find the time!

Room Tip: Get a lake front room! Loved the view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your great comments. I am very happy that you love our room, our Sunset Bar and our breakfast. InterContinental Hanoi Westlake is an ideal place for you to enjoy your weekend.

We hope to have opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We checked in on New Years Eve. Everything was fine until they started testing the sound and lights for the celebrations to be held at the bar. The sound was such that it was vibrating furniture in our room and the lights made our room brighter (admittedly just before sunset). Our request to be moved seemed to be met with disdain and misunderstanding. We waited some time before someone came to move us who also seemed to think moving our baggage was our problem. The next room was out of line of sight of the bar (where the celebrations were to occur) but definitely no out of earshot. We tried to go to bed around 10:00 and found ourselves making multiple complaints to reception but the volume was not dropped till well after midnight. I think the hotel would have been just delightful had it not been for New Years.

Room Tip: Check the room for proximity to common areas prior to accepting it, even though this might take some...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KenGAtOz
Dear Guest,

Thanks for the note, I am surprised to get your comments so long after NYE but none the less take on board your comments.

I agree that the music noise level was not appropriate. I was personally present with the performer, the loudness was only in the initial period and after this we kept the music level to an appropriate level for a New Years Eve celebration.

Suffice to say this will not happen again.