2,590 results
All reviewssunset barmain buildingwest lakesaigon restaurantcafe du lacthe club loungelake viewpillow menuold quarterbeautiful hotela short taxi ridebreakfast buffetthe hustle and bustlefive star hotelupgraded to a suiterooms are largebusy city
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed at the Westlake Intercontinental for 3 days from 2 Jan in one of the cluster blocks on stilts in the lake. We were intending to stay the last night at the famous Sofitel Legend as a treat but enjoyed the Intercon so much we decided to stay on. The rooms are spacious and elegant (contemporary colonial), the staff are very professional and friendly and the breakfast was good. The hotel is a little out of town but that has its benefits and is only a 4USD taxi ride into town and taxis were always waiting. Annoyingly you have to pay for Internet access in your room but wifi is free in the public areas so its an excuse for a good cocktail. We didnt eat at the Intercon having decided its dining rooms lacked cozyness and character, we dined twice at the Sofitel Legend which is undoubtably a hotel on a higher plain but its not worth three times the cost for a room.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank guy g
G_Manager-ICH, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2016

Thank you for the feedback, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Hanoi.

Please let me know if we can assist in any other way.

Regards

Reviewed January 6, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the ICH and were overall happy with most of what this establishment had to offer. To begin with, it is truly beautiful. Compared to a city that is choking with traffic and seems to be constantly on the go, the ICH sits just outside the main city area where you can only faintly hear the humming of thousands of horns a beeping. Our room was in one of the sections of the hotel set on stilts over the lake and despite other reviews did not have any problems with mosquitoes, might just be the time of year though. The room was clean and well kept though lacked some of the amenities we have come to expect from 5 star hotels such as toothbrushes and combs. The food was great including the Vietnamese restaurant on level 2 and the room service we ordered throughout our stay. The staff were friendly for the most part though constantly seemed to expect tips for anything and everything. We had an awkward moment in which my partner got confused with the currency and handed one of the staff what I guess he considered to be too little because he made a rude comment about the amount be nothing. Be careful when booking tours with the front desk, we found ours were very over priced and one of them was extremely disappointing. Don't believe it when they say you had better book quick and pressure you as they did this for both of our tours and we only had a couple of others turn up to one and no one else to the other.

The hotel itself was great and the beautiful views were worth the couple of annoying quirks they came along with.

Room Tip: The rooms on stilts come with beautiful views.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rita G
Andreas-Rud, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2012

Dear Rita G

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and we lived up to your expectations. Hanoi is like many Asian cities a busy vibrant place that is expanding quickly. What I love about Hanoi is that you can still be part of the local Vietnamese culture and lifestyle very easily. What I love about my hotel is that you can escape all the traffic when you want and then go back in quickly if and when you want.

I am glad you enjoyed Saigon, the team there so a fantastic job in an serving authentic Vietnamese experience.

We work hard with my team to understand cultural differences and what behaviours are acceptable. Obviously on this occasion an individual did not meet this expectation. Hotels rely on the actions of their team, it is disappointing when one individual lets the whole hotel down. I hope you can see past this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We only spent one night here before a trip to Halong Bay. We had been on the move and this hotel room was a wonderfully comfortable and relaxing place to rest.

Rooms: modern and elegant decor as well as very comfortable beds and linens. There was a balcony overlooking the pool area with floor to ceiling doors and all the comforts of an upscale hotel such as safe, slippers, robes, and mini bar.

Bath: a huge space with a large walk in shower and large tub. The toiletries were well stocked and the only slightly odd part was that the lav wasn't separated like you typically find in an upscale hotel.

Hotel Amenities: beautiful location, but beware the mosquitos EVERYWHERE outside over the lake and along the walkways. We really wanted to have drinks at the bar at the end of the walkway, but the mosquitos made it uncomfortable at dusk. We did not eat at any of the restaurants, but did go looking for breakfast. Unfortunately, other than the breakfast buffet and some pastries at the nearby shop, there is not an option for quick or easy food if you're in a hurry. We did not try the business center or exercise room, but wifi was strong in our room (in the main building).

Service: all of the people we encountered seemed well-intentioned, but not particularly effective at providing a memorable service experience. We had one service hiccup as we left the hotel, but it was resolved quickly.

The rooms here are such a welcome oasis in a crazy busy country where it's sometimes tough to find a comfortable night's rest that you don't mind the little misses in the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Dear OpEd,

Thank you for your comments on our hotel, it is always wonderful to hear when a guest enjoyed their stay. Your theme of Restful and relaxing is a lovely compliment.

The hotel does work hard at delivering a superior guest experience. You are quite right about the great bathrooms here, lots of space and good lighting are important. In my experience "most" hotels have the toilet in the bathrooms.

The hotel breakfast is worthwhile, it has everything that you would want. From local tastes and flavours to luxury pancakes, waffles, pastries and eggs cooked to order. We are very lucky as the Tay Ho area has many great restaurants and cafes where you can walk within a couple of minutes if you do have time for the full hotel breakfast experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed this past summer. The hotel is excellent! The room was beautiful, very clean, fully equipped with all the amenities you could need, and the hospitality at the hotel was outstanding.

The sunset bar is beautiful - highly recommend enjoying a drink by the water. The hotel concierge is more than helpful when it comes to navigating the city. And, although it is a fair distance from the airport, its worth the drive.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Please let me know if we can assist in any other way.

Regards

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We always feel at home at an ICH property and this was no different here. The staff were fantastic and being platinum ambassador members we were upgraded to a Junior suite for both our visits ( we had a night on halong Bay in between stays).
They kindly stored our luggage while away as well as doing some laundry.
Our room was great with a fantastic array of fruit and macaroons. The hotel has some good restaurants and the club lounge is very comfortable. It is always worth booking club just for the extras.
It was nice to be on the lake and away from the hustle and bustle which is just a short and cheap taxi ride away. Not far from the hotel you can find a wine store , laundry , pharmacy and a couple of patisseries.
The new General Manager of the hotel Adam introduced himself and had a chat. Great for us as a Melbourne boy who was an AFL umpire in his previous life.Very nice to be made to feel so welcome.
We ate some great food here and enjoyed the lounge. The staff were so nice and friendly. I can't understand how some reviewers found them not to be. We have always been treated with friendliness , helpfulness and respect.
I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Book a club room . It is worth it
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Ceecee018,

Thank you for your kind words, I am very pleased to read comments like these. Our Ambassadors are very important to us and the benefits of the program are great for our guests. I am glad you enjoyed Club InterContinental, we are working hard to have this guest experience live up to what is expected of a great club lounge.

The best part of my job is to get out and meet our guests. It is part of being a great hotel and getting to talk to people and hear their stories is a very enjoyable part of being a hotelier.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.