“Disappointing”

Khazaana
Ranked #431 of 2,448 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: We are the Oldest Indian Restaurant in Vietnam, at been almost 2 decades now being into this business. We are the "Best Restaurant Award winner for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 by The Guide, Vietnam Economics Times".Few years before our main focus was towards the regular customer only and that's why we have 80% regular customer in this restaurant, however we have started focusing towards tourists as well.We do Deliveries, Take aways, Lunch, Dinner, & Outdoor
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Had dinner there last night with a group of friends and the service was appalling! we had trouble attracting the attention of the staff, they seemed to completely ignore us! Food was average. Indian food in Hanoi is generally disappointing - where's the flavour?

2  Thank lulu_in_hanoi
Kaustubh_Trivedi, General Manager at Khazaana, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Lulu in Hanoi,

As i manager i personally make sure i am attending all diners and ask their feedback's for food service. And all the guests are equal to us, we never ignore any one and why we should, every diner is important for us, But sometimes restaurant is busy and staffs are taking orders or other guests or solving query of someone else.

About our food quality i would like to say that Vietnamese celebrities like Anna Truong, My Linh, King of Malaysia & many ministers from India, all have dined in our place, who all have appreciated our food quality as well as service.

So saying that there no flavor with a restaurant which has completed 21 years, seems little bit surprising, and yes of course it doesn't include bag packers place.

Thanks & regards
Kaustubh Mani Trivedi

Reviewed March 8, 2013

For couple of days i was bit worried as this was place which made me book my hotel d' laopera, and it was just next door. Bur to my surprise it had closed down.
Luckily I later on discovered that they had moved to a nearby block in a big and better place.
Ambiance has undergone change for good but not the food, it is as tasty as ever.
Try some south indian stuff here.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

As I have said before on Tripadvisor, if you want good Indian food you have to go to India or to London!
I personally think that in Hanoi, Vietnam, you are better off dining in the street food places of the Old Quarter than in this brightly lit but dismal place!

This place happened to be next door to the hotel I was staying in and in retrospect I should have dined in the hotel in style rather than have one of the worst food experiences that I have ever had!

There was only one other customer there on that night, which should have been a warning sign.
I ordered a Lamb Rogan Josh and I got Chicken. I said that I ordered a Lamb Rogan Josh and I got Chicken.
At this point I think I should have eaten it but stood my ground. I pointed this out to the staff. With a lot of blaming-each-other-type theatrics the food was taken back and the Lamb appeared and I am pretty sure it was in the same sauce!

What really got me was the motorcycle-type leather-jacketed guys who seemed to be controlling the staff.
The truth then dawned on me: This was a fast-food delivery place!

Being a glutton (pun intended) for punishment I "dined" there again,
I did get an apology of sorts from the front guy who blamed things on the kitchen. I ordered the same dish as last time and this time it was marginally better.
The motorcycle delivery thugs were still intimidating the female staff.
This is a cheap takeaway Indian type place. I don't think that they understand the meaning of the word "Dining"!

Kaustubh_Trivedi, General Manager at Khazaana, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Gyan Fernando,

First of all sincere apologies from my side for your bad experience at our restaurant. But any one can have a bad day.

Secondly I completely disagree with you, that if you need authentic Indian food you can get it only in London, where most of the food is prepared by Bengali cook who do North Indian Dishes, Just for your information we have been in this business from last 21 years and we have served, from King of Malaysia to Indian Ministers & diplomats visiting us almost every month, but they do not find any problem with the food.

I would like to say people become used to one kind of food what they look for everywhere, which is not possible, as even in Indian after every 50Km the taste changes.

As far as your dining experience is concern, we try to make the dining experience pleasant but some times mistakes happen, this is human nature, yes we should try to minimize all the time. I would like to let you know that our place is quite popular and i have personally seen no of people using this place on their celebrating occasion, which can't happen if we are such a bad name.

I would like to let you know that Khazaana is the oldest restaurant in the country and we have huge fan following not only from Indian but even many other nationalities. Not only tourists but various embassies, corporate's use our services.

As far as deliveries are concern yes we do quite no of deliveries but this is not a cheap class fast food delivery place, this gives an option to those who can't visit the restaurant for any reason. We maintain quite good standard in our delivery services as well.

It gives me little relief that the next day you found the service to be better.
Hope next time your are in Hanoi and you will use our services, which will be up to your expectation.

Thanks & Regards
Kaustubh Mani Trivedi

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hanoi is blessed with good food but who would have thought that included excellent Indian restaurants? Four of us were at Khazana for Sunday lunch -- including two vegans and a vegetarian -- and we had a terrific meal. We were first in just after noon and lingered over the dosai, dhal and assorted dishes for hours. It's a great location on the edge of the Old Quarter. Service is good and the wine list is impressive.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Based on the Tripadvisor reviews, we went here on our second day in Hanoi. It's a great Indian restaurant. We ordered 3 dishes from the Northern Indian Vegetarian section and enjoyed them all. Excellent food, wonderful spices, friendly staff. We had hoped to try the competition, Namaste, because it had more reviews and a higher ranking, but it was closed for Tet. In the end, we were glad we got to Khazaana and can't imagine Namaste is any better.
But after another day or two in the country, we noticed something odd about the Tripadvisor-ranked restaurants in Hanoi: there is only a handful of Vietnamese restaurants in the top 15. What's that about?

1  Thank c f