“Don't stay here....”
Review of Elizabeth Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Elizabeth Hotel
Ranked #531 of 607 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Seriously, you will end up wanting to throttle the staff.

The hotel picks backpackers up from the bus for free, which is really handy as the bus stops a long way out of the centre. Take the lift but don't stay, there is no obligation.

The hotel is tatty and dirty, the fifth floor gets so hot that even air-con is practically useless. My boyfriend got stuck in the shower when the door handle broke, a guy eventually let him out but didn't bother fixing the problem for the next guests - it was clear it wasn't the first time it had happened.

Breakfast is the only redeeming feature but not worth the bad service,: constant attempts to overcharge for tours, taxis even bottles of water.... the housekeeping staff don't knock and walk in when they feel like it (even if you've locked the door) then giggle amongst themselves when you're in a state off undress!!

Check-out is a joke, we nearly missed our flight because it took so long - a group of Aussie girls in front of us had the same problem and we heard other people complaining as well. When we checked-out he tried to charge us for a coke from the mini-bar that we didn't drink - he would not take our word and tried to with-hold our passports if we didn't pay!

We asked to change room because the fifth floor was so hot, she promised us one at noon, after check out, but it never happened. We then asked them to leave the power on in the room while we were out so it would stay cool. She said 'of course' and then proceeded to turn it off as soon as we left.

The staff are rude and disinterested and the hotel is dirty. We stayed in loads of great hotels in Vietnam and throughout SE Asia, this was by far the worst - we did tell them this upon leaving!

Just avoid it, take the free lift and then find somewhere else!

p.s. If you have a flight out of Hanoi leave in plenty of time as the taxi is very likely to be late.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed here based on a recommendation from a guy we met with pamphlets for the hotel at the airport. The hotel looked nice and for US$15 we thought we couldn't go wrong.

Our first experience of the dishonesy of the staff came when we arranged a taxi fare of $11 with this guy who recommened the hotel. He organised a shared taxi for us and guaranteed us we would only have to pay $11. Of course when the taxi driver (eventually) found the hotel he demanded more money and wanted $20. We have a feeling that he wasn't aware of this fixed fare of $11. We stood our ground and refused to pay anymore but all the hassle left a sour taste.

Our next problem with the staff was in relation to our tour to Halong Bay. First of all, do not book a tour to Halong Bay (or anywhere!) through this hotel. The boat was so bad and the staff were so rude on the boat too. We were treated with contempt.

Before booking the tour with the tour desk in the hotel we were guaranteed that chicken would be on the menu. The morning we were going to Halong Bay (and conveniently after we had paid for the tour) we were told there would be no chicken served! I don't have a great stomach and can't eat a lot of different types of food. We argued with the guy and said we wanted our money back. Of course he refused to do this and said he'd ring the tour operator to confirm there would be chicken. He was speaking in Vietnamese to the tour operator so we hadn't a clue what was being said or if indeed the tour operator was in fact who he said he was. After a lot of arguing and assurances that there would be chicken on the menu we agreed to go on the tour. We were both quite irate and upset at this stage. All of this hassle could have been avoided.

When we were on the boat, there was no chicken served so it was all lies as we had expected. We wondered whether it was the tour operator who was phoned that day at all!

Another morning we were there a lady from the hotel opened the door to our room with another guest and left this guest standing at our door looking in at us in bed! She didn't seem to have any awareness of what had happened and when the guest called her back she gave us a relucant apology.

Also, the main man who works in the hotel can be quite aggressive and snapped at me a number of times and ordered me to sit down when I was waiting to get my passport back! When I asked for my passport when we were leaving to go to Halong Bay, a girl at reception told me that she couldn't find it! When I told her I wouldn't be leaving til I got it, she miraculously found it straight away!

The exchange rate they charge is $1=19,500 VND whereas every other hotel/establishment in Vietnam charges a rate of $1=19,000 VND. When paying for your room in dong this ends up costing you more money but that doesn't surprise me in this hotel.

The rooms themselves aren't bad even though the room we had had no window and the hot water only lasted for about one minute. The location is actually very good and is about a five minute walk to the lake.

Overall the staff here really let this hotel down. It could be a nice place to stay but they are so dishonest and will lie to your face. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights. Room and bathroom filthy as floors never cleaned, only swept.
Quite at night and very comfortable bed. Good breakfast included. 4 Internet PC's plus WiFi. $15 US. Good location near the lake.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2009

There was a guy from the Elizabeth hotel when we arrived at the bus stop in Hanoi. I tend to be suspicious of them. But after visiting 2 other places which were horrible, this guy was persistent so we gave it a look. Has a nice lobby, good location, fast free internet, decent free breakfast. We paid $10 for a dbl room with air con (other guests said they paid 12). Although the room had no window, was oddly noisy in the morning, and had a moldy ceiling in the bathroom- it was worth it. Besides the initial interaction, i thought the staff was friendly- I have no complaints there. I recommend booking a Halong Bay tour with another company, was told by other guests their tour isn't very good.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I ended up at the Elizabeth Hotel in Hanoi, Vietnam because it's where my open tour bus dropped us off at. I went ahead with a single room because I couldn't be bothered to lug around my backpack searching for an alternative. However, after I trekked out for the day and arrived back tired and ready for sleep, only then did I realize the ceiling of my room was slightly discolored... pretty sure it was mold. I guess it was OK for a budget hotel, it was close to a main road and had a quick free breakfast, but I switched to a backpacker's hostel after this first night. Only plus was the free internet on the computers in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2009

This hotel is a scam. you will be ripped off big time. The manager physically abused me after I complained about the worst service I had ever experienced in any country in the world (I have visited over 80). He tried to rip up my passport after I said I would be leaving because he wanted to change my room for the third time in 3 hours after my arrival. He is a very dishonest and angry man who even shouts and points at women. My colleague was told on her arrival that her room was not ready at 6.30pm. --- this is because they rent out rooms for an hour or two (to whom????) to try to get extra money in the door.....
and it is very dirty, tatty, full of stale cigarette smoke. The carpets must have been last cleaned 20 years ago ..... and last not least after depositing my bag in the room I came back to find the door open even though I had locked it when I left.... hotel staff after my valuables???

As an NGO (Aid) worker with lots of cheap hotel experience this is the worst of the worst - the worst hotel in the worst Asian slums are better than this.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I stayed at this hotel after being met at the bus terminal by one of the brothers that run the place. The glossy brochure, and location won me over. I must say, the rooms are very clean and neat, and the facilities of the hotel are quite ok (compared to others I stayed at in Vietnam). I can't agree that the staff are rude, but they are certainly very pushy about booking tours through their travel desk. In fact, it was only one staff member who was really pushy, and he is also one of the brothers who run the hotel. Generally the rest of the staff were really polite and helpful. I did book my Sapa and Halong bay tours through them, and the prices really weren't that different from what was on offer from the Singh cafe's, and they let me leave my pack in their storage/staff bedroom at no charge while I was away. I was actually invited (by the pushy brother) to a family birthday dinner one night, but it happened to be the night I was leaving on the sleeper bus, so it was probably a ploy to get me to stay another night. I did'nt go. So all in all, my stay wasn't unpleasant, I would just advise people to be wary of their tour bookings.
Another word of warning.....do not under any circumstances, get on a motorbike with the pushy brother. He won't give you a helmet, and he is a very dangerous rider.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BushpigBrisbane