“Ceiling had mold...”
Review of Elizabeth Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Elizabeth Hotel
Ranked #514 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Alexandria, Virginia
“Ceiling had mold...”
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I ended up at the Elizabeth Hotel in Hanoi, Vietnam because it's where my open tour bus dropped us off at. I went ahead with a single room because I couldn't be bothered to lug around my backpack searching for an alternative. However, after I trekked out for the day and arrived back tired and ready for sleep, only then did I realize the ceiling of my room was slightly discolored... pretty sure it was mold. I guess it was OK for a budget hotel, it was close to a main road and had a quick free breakfast, but I switched to a backpacker's hostel after this first night. Only plus was the free internet on the computers in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney
Reviewed June 1, 2009

This hotel is a scam. you will be ripped off big time. The manager physically abused me after I complained about the worst service I had ever experienced in any country in the world (I have visited over 80). He tried to rip up my passport after I said I would be leaving because he wanted to change my room for the third time in 3 hours after my arrival. He is a very dishonest and angry man who even shouts and points at women. My colleague was told on her arrival that her room was not ready at 6.30pm. --- this is because they rent out rooms for an hour or two (to whom????) to try to get extra money in the door.....
and it is very dirty, tatty, full of stale cigarette smoke. The carpets must have been last cleaned 20 years ago ..... and last not least after depositing my bag in the room I came back to find the door open even though I had locked it when I left.... hotel staff after my valuables???

As an NGO (Aid) worker with lots of cheap hotel experience this is the worst of the worst - the worst hotel in the worst Asian slums are better than this.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I stayed at this hotel after being met at the bus terminal by one of the brothers that run the place. The glossy brochure, and location won me over. I must say, the rooms are very clean and neat, and the facilities of the hotel are quite ok (compared to others I stayed at in Vietnam). I can't agree that the staff are rude, but they are certainly very pushy about booking tours through their travel desk. In fact, it was only one staff member who was really pushy, and he is also one of the brothers who run the hotel. Generally the rest of the staff were really polite and helpful. I did book my Sapa and Halong bay tours through them, and the prices really weren't that different from what was on offer from the Singh cafe's, and they let me leave my pack in their storage/staff bedroom at no charge while I was away. I was actually invited (by the pushy brother) to a family birthday dinner one night, but it happened to be the night I was leaving on the sleeper bus, so it was probably a ploy to get me to stay another night. I did'nt go. So all in all, my stay wasn't unpleasant, I would just advise people to be wary of their tour bookings.
Another word of warning.....do not under any circumstances, get on a motorbike with the pushy brother. He won't give you a helmet, and he is a very dangerous rider.

• Liked — Location and it was very clean. Good breakfast also.
  • Disliked — Very pushy owner.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank BushpigBrisbane
tauranga
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Myself and two friends unfortunately stayed here for two nights as it was difficult to get accomodation elsewhere. As per the above reviews these guys are lovely till they have your passport! I witnessed 6 confrontations between travellers and two particular management ... for reasons a simple as being on the internet when they wanted it to tours being cancelled and refusal of a refund! Their favourite saying appeared to be "get out" followed by aggressive attitude. These guys seem to get a real kick over you having to be submisssive ...... getting your passport back is a bit of a challenge ... if i is a copy its still pretty nerve wracking knowing they have power and your details! GOOD LUCK and bite your tongue .. if ya got nothing to lose ...GIVE IT BACK!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — managementn shocking attitude
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Europe
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Be careful with this hotel because at first glance it looks very nice - receptionist is polite, rooms are clean and new, breakfast is included and there is free internet acess... BUT! Once you give them your passports and confirm your staying the staff becomes a nightmare. Constantly asking where are you going, where will you buy tour tickets, why not with them and pushing to buy their tickets. Terrible!

Unfortunately we did book tickets to Sapa in their agency and on the way back we realized, they didn't book us a train tickets! When we finally came back, we had to wait for a room a whole day (although they knew we were coming back), one of the staff guys was also yelling at us and almost kicked us out of the hotel. It really is not worth it! We had problems all the time, had to change rooms 3 times and at the end they even wanted us to charge for a drink we didn't take.

Stay away as far as you can! There are only problems with them.

p.s. the room rates are half lower if you don't book via internet but directly at the hotel!

• Liked — internet acess
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I stayed in this hotel over the Christmas period and have never come across such rude staff before. As the previous review says, the tour booking staff are also VERY pushing - even stopping some guests from leaving the front door and making them sit at the tour desk to talk through tour options.

I would't recommend this hotel to anyone. It's only been open since October and you can tell with the poor skills of the staff.

• Liked — Quality of the rooms
  • Disliked — Rudeness of staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed November 25, 2007

Just a short note to help others avoid this mistake. We booked the hotel at Hanoi airport - via travel information. They showed pictures and website. Took a chance. It was a scam - it exists, but the owner is intimidating and shouts if you don't book one of their tours. The building is unsafe and we were locked out when we came back at 10.30pm - another guest on the balcony had to let us in. turned out the hotel is owned by brother of woman at Hanoi aiport info desk. I felt such a fool for handing over $50!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple