“Don't touch this one”

and 1 more site!
Hanoi Palace Hotel
Ranked #508 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed May 4, 2009

The staff are initially friendly. But they lie about the nightclub. From about 7pm the noise of VERY loud music, construction noise (hammering, drilling etc) is unbearable. I complained & was told they nightclub was 'just testing the music, it will stop in five minutes'. It didn't. There are also a lot of young guys that hang around the doorway (presumably for the nightclub). They did put a computer in our room, but it was a dinosaur & barely worked. We packed our bags & went to check out at 7am next morning; hoping to catch the staff off guard, so they wouldn't hassle us (as they have done badly to previous reviewers). It worked: we woke two semi naked male staff that were both sleeping on a mattress next to reception. They were so embarrassed they let us escape with only minor harrassment of where we were going. For the same price ($25US), go to Hang Hanh St instead, still close & conviniet, but a quieter street with lots of lovely hotels that will haggle on price.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 26, 2009

Firstly the hotel is not easy to find as it is set back from the road. We were greeted upon check in by friendly staff who appeared to be genuinely interested in helping us have a great stay (we had booked three nights). However, we did not get the computer in the room which was promised and like another reviewer on this website, our room was frequently accessed while we were not there and without our permission or knowledge.

On the morning that we were due to check out, the fruit that had been in our room mysteriously disappeared. Two days before checkout, we asked the hotel to book us two train tickets to Hue and we specifically asked for sleeper cabins. We paid upfront for the tickets. When we received the tickets we noticed that the price on the tickets was substantially lower than what we had paid (a difference of about VND400,000) so we went to reception to query this. It was only when we said we wanted a refund did they agree to reimburse us the difference and we were never given an explanation why we were overcharged. But that wasn't the worst of it - when we got to the station they had booked us not on a sleeper but in an upright seat (for a 13 hour train trip!!) It was too late to return to the hotel so we just had to put up with it. It then became obvious - we had asked for a sleeper, they were all booked so they got us seats but didn't tell us and were not going to refund us the difference in the price of the tickets!

Also we asked one of the receptionists how much it would be to get a taxi to the train station, he quoted us VND50,000 and that he would order us a taxi. As this was the same person who had tried to scam us with the train tickets we went back later and asked another receptionist who told us it would be VND30,000. When we got into the taxi after the first receptionist ordered it for us, the driver tried to charge us VND50,000. We said we would only pay VND30,000 or he could stop the taxi and let us out. He took the reduced price.

Also the breakfast is less than average with limited choices. The tea was strawberry only, the bread was sickly and most of the food was overcooked, soggy and oily. The place has undergone some renovations but the shower leaked and water ended up all over the floor creating a lake in the bathroom every time we used it. There is a nightclub next door which is open very late but we got used to that. The hotel is in a great location - but there are many close by anyway so there's plenty of choice.

So my opinion is that some of the staff there are doing what they can to scam the guests while the others seem to be genuine. Its just hard to know which is which. I would suggest that you stay away...

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed March 25, 2009

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Stayed at the Palace Hotel on 2 occasions whilst in Hanoi. This hotel is in a great location in the Old Quarter the staff were very helpful and upgraded us to a laarger room with free internet and computer in the room. Henri was great able to help us with any info we needed. Close to Sword Lake and the water puppets.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lotus39
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed February 11, 2009

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed January 25, 2009

The website for this hotel is one big lie; to say it was misleading would be a gross understatement. From the website I got the impression that this was a luxury hotel and decided to book 11 nights to spend time with friends and enjoy the Lunar New Year celebrations in Hanoi - I booked the " Deluxe City View - Double Bed " for $60 (US) a night:

1. The bath and shower curtain were mouldy and so the bathroom smelled bad

2. Towels smelled bad

3. There was no safety box as advertised

4. There was no computer in the room as advertised

5. The air conditioning did not work

6. Some of the rooms on the I was on, as well as on the floor above me were undergoing building work. There was a sign conveniently placed near my door apologising for any disturbance.

7. There was loud music at night, this coupled with the building work happening in the morning ensured that I got minimal sleep.

8. The bed was quite hard and uncomfortable (I admit some people may like this but it also contributed to my not getting much sleep).

9. On looking at the breakfast I decided not to risk it (if the bathroom in the "Deluxe" room smelled bad and was mouldy the mind boggled about the state of the kitchen)

10. I had the "do not disturb" sign on my door, which had translations in French and Vietnamese but someone quietly opened my door and came in as I on my computer one morning. He looked quite schocked when he saw that I was in the room, he then feigned that he had come to clean the room, but he had no cleaning materials with him, nor did he knock and say "house keeping" before letting himself in. Needless to say I stopped keeping my valuables in the room after that.

11: I decided to leave after three days for - I stayed this long because.
a) Its in a good location in the old quarter. Note there are many other hotels in this area; you should not have to stay here for this reason.
b) Free airport transfer was included for three days or more. Note I did not get confirmation of this by email. My Vietnamese friends had to ring the hotel to make sure I was picked up from the airport.
c) I showered at a gym of another hotel

12. I told reception on the morning of the second day that I had decided to change my plans and would be leaving the next day. On the morning I went to check out I was advised that since I didn't stay for the 11days I reserved I would be charged an extra day. I of course argued that I had told tthem a day before I was leaving and in any case this was wrong. They then said they would charge me for the airport transfer. I said they could go ahead but I would write a complaint to the Hotel Regulatory Office in Vietnam. That seemed to get their attention, the manager who happened to be sitting at reception and listening came over and said it was ok not to pay the extras they asked for, but she wanted to know if I was going to another hotel, I never told her.

13: I asked if they would call me a taxi they agreed. I waited for about 15 minutes, no taxi came. I asked again the receptionist got on the phone and said: "yes it will be here now." While I was waiting outside one of the people who hang around the hotel lobby (These people are mentioned in another review on this site) came to hassle me about where I was going and whether was it the airport because there were no taxis now, as all taxis were busy. So I flagged one down that was just passing this same guy then went on to intimidate the taxi driver who ignored him and kindly helped me with my luggage into the car. On the way away from the hotel the driver said: "very bad hotel"

14: I really wish I had read the reviews on this site before I booked. Do not stay here unless you are really desperate; on the first day of checking in there were some people who handed over about 12 USD and said: “ here take this is all we have for a room” and the receptionist accepted it. That’s the kind of place this hotel is far from being a luxury hotel I think its a dump

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ShinnyGranite
Reviewed December 23, 2008

We were in Hanoi for 5 days, 4 nights for the annual escape-before-Christmas. We booked a flight-cum-hotel package via the Air Asia website and stayed all 4 nights at the Hanoi Palace.

On first impression, I didn't think much of the hotel - there was some construction going on on the top floor of the hotel and there was building debris stacked right at the entrance steps. The hotel is also smack in the middle of the Old Quarter, so the surroundings are run-down and pretty grimy. However, the location also meant we were within walking distance or a short cyclo ride away from almost every tourist site.

Luckily, we were given a fairly nice room on the 3rd floor - big and airy. Prior to arriving, we took tips from the Tripadvisor website and so emailed the hotel in advance to ask for a quiet room, away from the disco in the basement. They obliged and we weren't bothered at all by noise from traffic (which is super noisy at all times of the day in Hanoi) or the disco.

The room and bathroom were very clean and housekeeping left lovely fresh fruit for us each day. Also, every member of staff we met was extremely obliging and fulfilled all our requests smilingly.

A couple of downsides I should mention: the breakfast wasn't very appealing - I ended up eating french bread with jam every morning because everything else was either fried and very oily or steamed limp. Also, because of the construction that was going on, the common areas of the hotel were rather dusty and when we happened to be in the hotel in the daytime, we could definitely hear the drilling and banging. But this started and stopped at decent times and since we were away touring for most of the day, this was hardly a bother.

Just a final point - we booked our day tours through the tour company in the hotel lobby. We were given good prices (we bargained quite a bit!) but found the tourguides not very fluent in English and hardly informative. I'm not sure if other companies would have offered better guides and I think we should have shopped around a bit more before booking our tours.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)