“Better to avoid this place”
Review of Vision Gold Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Vision Gold Hotel
Ranked #362 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We slept for a total of 3 nights in the hotel and our main concern it was not the hotel itself, though we spotted a mouse running in the hall, the place where we had breakfast was freaking cold (we’ve been there in January) because was right beside the entrance with doors permanently open with no heating and the room where I slept the last night shower was not sealed and water used to spread all around the bathroom. But that was not a big problem. The thing is that we have been conned by the manager, a little guy called Peter (do not know if he will change his name now but he is easy to spot because is a very little guy stayng at the reception always smiling at you). We booked with him a trip to Sapa (2 nights on the train and one in place with some trekking) and Halong Bay spending 120$ for each package, which for Vietnam is a lot.
Since we knew that beds in public trains were uncomfortable we specifically requested a private car for us, paying an extra.
It turned out that there was no private car, we did not manage to sleep the whole night, when we arrived in the morning to Sapa we could not make the check-in (Peter told us that check-in would have been at 9:00)but we had to wait untill 2 p.m. and the trekking, that should have started in afternoon, had instead been scheduled at 9:30.
I am sure Sapa is a beautiful place, but during the right seasons. In winter time is all wrapped in mist and you won’t see anything.
After the trekking in the fog we finally made the check-in and….surpris: we had no heating in the rooms. My window could not be closed completly and cold air was entering continuously the place. Sheets were obviously soaking wet and we had to look for another hotel, spending a total of 198$ more for 6 people.
We made it back to Hanoi with another sleepless night on the train and once we came back at the hotel the guy, who had been informed of what was happening because we called him, did say nothing and not offered to pay anything for the expenses we had for the other hotel in Sapa.
Another thing that happened is that I gave the guy some stuff for the laundry and they returned me half of the clothes. They lost the rest. Never happened before. Since he did not rebuy me anything, when I was checking out the other manager, a girl, gave me 20$ and she also paid me the 15$ for the taxi to the airport.
The Halong Bay cruise was OK, the only thing is that we paid 120$ and a friend of mine, who bought the same package elsewhere, paid 60$.
Conclusion: avoid this place. They are not reliable, at least as long as they do not realize that tourists are not “species” to be conned at all costs.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ladd3r

Reviewed January 9, 2011

The hotel is in a nice side street near St Josephs cathedral which makes it more quiet than other main streets in Hanoi. the rooms were nice for the price you pay and the staff was REALLY helpful in booking us other tours and accommodation for fair prices. Peter ( Manager of the hotel) is very attentive and would help you with any inquiries.
Overall, it's value for money and we would definitely stay there again if we go back to Hanoi.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sanphura
Reviewed January 6, 2011

The hotel seems lovely, the staff freindly. Sure if your staying for a visit the hotel is fine, we were warned about being conned by the staff by many travellers when we told them of our intentions of staying here, surely not we thought as the hotel was so nice, freindly staff. But we were wrong, we booked a tour of halong bay with them, on the luxury boat, they booked us on the economy one where people were litreally aruging to get on as they overbooked. Our passports were held "hostage" during the boat journey due to a hidden cost, we had cockroaches in our room. We went back to the indochina hotel causing a scene, he claimed he didn't realise and offered to book us free in a hotel in our next destination, not trusting him we didn't leave until he returned a small small amount to us. We stupidly booked a coach to hue(12 hours journey) previously with him and had to rush to get the coach so we had to settle for what he gave us. Of course he conned us with that too (the manager), we paid 30 US dollars for a luxury sleeping bus, and recieved a 9 dollar coach where we had to sit uncomfortably for 12 hours, im so angry with indochina hotel he set out to con us, when we spoke to the travel agency for the coaches, they had the form that showed he purposly booked the cheapest one and took the rest of the money. NEVER BOOK A TOUR/COACH WITH THIS HOTEL, BOOK WITH A TRAVEL AGENT THEY ARE GINUWINE, DON'T FALL FOR THEIR FREINDLINESS, if i ever step foot in hanoi, il'l be sure to cause a big scene in that hotel.

I realise its a nice hotel and couldn't not agree, from the reviews but trust me they are conning you. Two freinds who we reccomended to stay in a room only stayed there and were kicked out a day after as they found someone willing to pay more for the room, even though they had paid and booked for 2 nights, how can a hotel run like this?

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank nkotak
Reviewed December 13, 2010

We spent our last four nights in Vietnam at the Indochina 1 hotel. After having stayed at two other hotels in Hanoi, this was definitely the best one and I would recommend it to other travellers. Quality of rooms does vary quite a lot between wat seemed to be a new and old part of the building. In the newer part, the rooms were smellier and noisier than in the old part, but there IS an elevator. We asked to be transferred to a different room with less traffic noise, so we end up in the old part of the hotel (no elevator). Our room was a family suite, which was more than big enough for both of us. The hotel let us stay there at the same rate as our original double room, which was excellent service! Even though the staff at times seemed a little too eager to arrange a tour, we ended up having a brilliant stay at the Indochina 1 Hotel, and were even possible to arrange a private tour to two less visited Pagodas. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visting Hanoi, great location, great value for money!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jonas_Doe
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Staff were excellent, very happy to help with any request, especially peter!! Arranged our whole trip including booking the hotels in various cities, train tickets, bus tickets and tours at a VERY reasonable price! Great location, very quiet and quaint little street and very close to lots of nice restaurants and some shopping. Would definitely recommend this to anyone. If any criticism the plumbing could have been slightly better but no big deal. Balcony view rooms were a little nicer too. for the price very very happy with the room!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We stayed at Indochina Hotel for just two night but encountered that the staff was incredible. They bent over backwards to be helpful. The room was extremely clean. The free breakfast, free coffee and tea, cheese & fruit was great too. Best Hotel experience I have ever had!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2010

That was very long day for me. I flew from Paris to Vietnam and booked the room with Hidden Charm hotel where I had very nice memories but they did not have room so that they offered us staying with Indochina hotel, just next door. When I arrived , the lady required to show the passport and booking voucher for check in . It's fine. Next morning, I wanted to come down to have breakfast. When I open the door, the hotel staff suddenly gave me the flower bouquet and said happy birthday. I did not know how did they know my birthday. Might be in passport. I was really happy with that. In the evening, we had the dinner together with birthday cake. We are family. I think so, I never had really good dinner with any body for long time. Thanks to Indochina hotel, we had a great memory.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business