“Booking Nightmare”

Ranked #319 of 604 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“Booking Nightmare”
Reviewed May 7, 2008

Rose Hotel (12b Hang Manh St.) fleeced us shamelessly, booking us hard seats on the train to sapa and charging us the equivalent of a sleeper car. The train was packed, overbooked, people sleeping under the seats, everyone knee to knee, smokey, and stopped about 12 times on the way up, adding hours to our already overnight trip. It was single handedly the most uncomfortable experience I have had in Vietnam. The worst part was coming back to have them not even bat at eye at our concerns. Such experiences should be chosen and the trade off is cheap for less comfort, not 600 % inflation for the worst possible option there is.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank LALADY84

Families
sydney
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I stayed here for 5 nights split by a trip to Halong Bay. The Manager was Mr Tu so I assume it’s the same place as reviewed earlier.

My experience was different. I’d chosen the Gold Star Hotel (reviewed separately) for my first two nights, and that was fine. But I sometimes check out other places that look interesting while I’m wandering around, and that’s how I found the Rose. I saw two rooms - both huge and full of light. (The hotel is on a corner). I chose a twin bedded room on the second floor as it had a balcony and lots of windows that opened. There was also a large TV (which I never turned on!), a fridge, double wardrobe, table and easy chairs, and a bedside light. And a/c - though you really don't need it in late November. The bathroom was fully tiled, though small. The shower was one of those without a proper cubicle which may be an issue for some folk - but I find if drainage is good, and the loo seat is completely covered when the top is down, then it’s not a problem. Water pressure was terrific and hot water was in constant supply.

I had to pay a 25% deposit to book a room for the next day which seemed fair enough. I was also asked to pay in full in advance to keep the room for my return from Halong Bay. I suspect people sometimes reserve and then don’t come back.

It’s a family business and everyone was friendly and welcoming. I needed a taxi one evening and they called one for me, and Mr Tu also arranged transport to the airport. This was $12 which seemed a lot until you realise the airport is 34km from town. I wasn’t hassled to book tours at all, and as it happened booked both my trips elsewhere. There's free internet in the small reception area.

The location on the fringe of the old town is excellent. Hang Manh is a (short) street, not a lane ,so there is traffic but it’s low key, and quiet by 11.00pm. I paid $25 for the room. There is probably cheaper to be had but this place was perfect for me. I even got used to the rose pink walls after a while. Recommended.

I'll post photos later.

• Liked — light, air, location, price
  • Disliked — nothing I can think of.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank nitarudi
Toronto
Reviewed November 20, 2007

First of all, there are many hotels with the name "Rose Hotel" in Hanoi, not related to each other. This one is at 56 Ngo Huyen street, which is two narrow streets north of the Cathedral, in the Hoan Kiem district.

My room cost US $15, and included private bathroom, fan, air conditioning, and a TV. It is on a very quiet narrow little street; quiet is a rarity in Hanoi, where motorcycles are honking their horns every second of every day, so this alone is a big bonus. My room was large and clean as well. And the hotel is very well-located - near to everything, including the Old Town and the central lake. I moved from two other budget hotels (both too noisy from the traffic) before finding this one.

I highly recommend the Rose Hotel for a budget hotel in Hanoi.

• Liked — Clean and quiet
  • Disliked — Front staff didn't speak English very well
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank NAURU
Montreal
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Booked a cruise on Halong bay with the Rose Hotel as I was walking in Hanoi. In order not to have to hunt for a place when I came back, I also booked a room with them, agreed on price, room,... When I came back from the cruise, Mr. Tu, the owner, told me the room was not available. This, in itself, is unnacceptable as we had arranged everything just 3 days before. He told me he would have another room in the hotel next door, for the same price. The room he showed me was smaller, dark, VERY noisy and had 2 single, uncomfortable beds. Nothing like the room we had agreed upon. As I was tired and it was getting late and didn't feel like walking around to find another place with my luggage in the heat, I decided to stay the night anyway. I DID have to push to get a discount though!

Next morning, as I checked out, Mr Tu prepared the bill for different services (cruise, room, laundry,...) and gave me a total price. By then, he had fibbed me a few times, plus the room swap, so I was weary of him. I recalculated the amounts myself based on what we had agreed and found out he was trying to charge me more. When confronted, he giggled like a boy caught doing a bad deed and apologized.

A pity as he seemed like a nice man and the room we had seen was quite nice. However, he tried to screw me every which way possible from the start. The amount of money in play was not big, but it's more for the principal of not being taken advantage of.

There are many other hotels in town. Avoid this one like the plague if you can, are you'll have to fight them every step of the way.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dishonest staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Foodie_errant

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels