“The worst hotel I've had in my 1.5mo travel in Vietnam”
Review of APT Hotel

APT Hotel
Ranked #237 of 637 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 11, 2010

I wanted to stay at the Atlantic hotel. I showed up without a reservation and it was all booked. They claimed that they have another hotel I can stay in for the same price of $14/night with similar amenities.

I was brought to Apt and placed in the room on the first floor. There was no windows, the walls and doors were dingy but the flashy furniture made it look a little better. I turned on the AC and after about 10 minutes, notified the staff that the air that's coming out is barely less than the room temperature of about 35C. The guy claimed that the aircon is working, but I just couldn't put up w/the heat. When he saw me start calling other hotels in the vicinity, he got worried that I'd leave and offered me another room. He said if I slept in the middle bed, I'd be cold.

The bathroom didn't look very clean and I saw a cockroach run past me when I entered. I didn't even want to brush my teeth there.

The bed was gross, despite it's initial clean look. There were several hairs on the pillow and it smelled funny. I slept in my sleeping bag and kept waking up wondering why it's not cold. The aircon never really kicked in.

The breakfast was an unimpressive baguette with an egg and hot tea.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed March 26, 2010

We spent 2 nights in the APT hotel in Hanoi at the end of February. We were flying from the UK and meeting friends at the airport who came from Australia and looking forward to a great holiday together...APT hotel did not help us get this off to a good start!

We had booked an airport pick up weeks in advance (essential after a 16 hour flight) but when we landed nobody was waiting for us, we waited about half an hour hoping they were just late, but nobody showed, so we called them and they told us to wait where we were and they would get us, another 30 minutes later and someone turned up. They took us to the hotel where we then had to pay $25 US although our agreement on email had been $15 US. This was apparently due to the hotels pick up van breaking down and no small taxis being available so we had to stump up for a large taxi!? We checked in to our rooms that were of a standard that we would expect for the price that we were paying but overstuffed with so much furniture that we struggled to move around.

The bathroom was cleanish but everything leaked, run the bath it leaked onto the floor..same story if you flushed the toilet!

Hanoi was unseasonally cold when we arrived so we tried to turn the aircon unit onto heat...ours worked but our friends didn't, we pointed this out the staff who claimed that the aircon only did cold and wouldn't heat..really because ours did? They had a very cold couple of nights!

We had already booked our trip to Halong Bay from the UK and didn't want any other trips whilst we were in Hanoi, so when we were pressured to book trips through the hotel we politely declined, this seemed to upset them somewhat and I believe led to even worse service. When we asked for information the staff were unresponsive and unwilling to help.

We were due to get the bus to Haiphong very early on the morning after our second night, we knew that it was a fair way from the hotel and so asked them to book us a taxi. They wouldn't, telling us that there would be loads available outside the hotel (at 6am in the morning)..there weren't! The four of us had a mad dash back and forth the streets of Hanoi with all of our luggage trying to ensure that we had means of getting to our next destination, with the hotel receptionist stood at the front door of the hotel watching us.

Other than that the staff were generally unhelpful, a bit creepy and pressured us to buy their tours, becoming ruder and less helpful the more we resisted. We have all travelled extensively and rarely have I ever felt so uncomfortable staying somewhere. We stayed in a number of places in Vietnam and we generally found the people to be wonderfully helpful, courteous and welcoming..this place was the exception.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2010

When we returned from a trip in Hanoi,We found Apt hotel ( recommend by friends gone to Ha Long Bay with Us also we go with Apttravel ).
The location, room, breakfast and above all the service provided by the staff. The staff were cheerful and helpful and very accommodating. Definitely a good value, as there is also free internet access in the room. Was pleasantly surprised when we stepped into the room and there was a fruit basket. Will recommend this to my friends who are coming to Hanoi.
thanks everyone in the Hotel for help (special is Mr Hieu )

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2009

This place is more guest house (not hotel). I have stayed in several guesthouses in Vietnam so far. I would rank APT guest house "more than standard". Staff here is laid back.
A/C, fan,hot water shower, hair dryer,fridge,TV,,,, everything is equipped. There are 2 rooms on each floor, unfortunately all rooms on back side don't have windows. (or they do, but small ) If you need window, you should request a room on front side. It is 4 or 5 storeys, but no elevator.
As APT guest house is run by travel agency, it is very easy to arrange your trip/excursion here. e.g.US$15 to airport (one-way)
I booked a room beforehand through their website. After ckicking "BOOKING", confirmation windows pops up. Do not forget to print out the window page. No confirmation e-mail will be sent to your e-mail account separately afterward. ( at least, no confirmation e-mail was sent to me) If you book a room under no-printer-situation, just write down the reference number, hope it will help you to check-in.
When I was back in the very early morning from Sa Pa, I stayed here again till 12:00, that was US$15. They told me to bang the shutter to wake them up, but when I got there, they were already awake :-)
The location is excellent, it is in the busiest area. Close to everything.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank mamacita1001
Reviewed December 9, 2009

I stayed for about three weeks, Apt hotel is very well located in the old quarter, its very safe. It’s near the famous Hoan Kiem Lake and many restaurants, local shops and night market which is on Fri, Sat and Sunday every week. I loved it coz I love shopping.

They have nice staff Mr. Hieu and other staff Mr. Chau and Mr. Trung very pleasant guys willing to help you any time of the day.
They serve free breakfast, although is very simple., and you have access to WIFI FREE; for me it was very good coz I do communicate with family everyday through internet.

In the short words I would say it’s a best place with right price with all the amenities they provide. In any other 3or4 star hotel you could be paying much more than what you pay here.

So don’t think much just go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2009

APT Hotel offers very satisfying accomodation at a very affordable price. It's a good option if you are on a tight budget. I decided to stay here for a month. I enjoyed the place. The location is near to many shops and restaurants. For sure you will be satisfied and happy. The guys from the hotel are helpful and you'll have no problem with communication at all. And they have free wireless internet! What else can you ask for. :)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2009

My family and I was staying in hotel apt (hanoi) for 8 days 7nites...2star hotel with clean and big room, internet access, kittle, television..etc...

Hotel's staff can speak well english..Hotel location is very nice coz it's located in the shopping area, you can get everything u wan from there.(remember to bargain and bargain)...biggest night market is near the APT hotel too (every fri, sat and sun)...

You can get the hotel room with reasonable price with breakfast..although it's only a simple breakfast, but feel good coz the staff serve VIETNAM coffee and cook for us everymorning...and you can also ask for the local trip from the staff in hotel..they will arrange for you with better price compare to other travel agency...

Helpful and friendly staff
e.g : I request for buy rain coat on a raining day...Mr HIEU is so helpful and send me by motorbike to search for that, finally I get the special rain coat that i never seem in malaysia..good! somemore they can teach us some vietnam language...haha!!

APT hotel is strongly recommended to you for your next trip....you should stay in this hotel and you will feel what i tell you is true.... :)

p/s : remember to take with HALONG BAY trip, 3days 2 nites or 2days 1 nite....its really a beautiful and amazing place....and you can try for kayaking there too...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family