“Everything inside was closed at 4pm!”

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We went there around 4pm. Took a long time to find the entrance. When we got in, the guy told us to buy tickets, and showed us the direction to start. There were some small buildings where there should be some pictures,or some displays inside, but they were all closed by 4pm! It stated that the visiting time is until 5pm, but the staff started closing and leaving around 4pm. I learned nothing about this place as I could not read anything except taking pictures of the building.

4  Thank Euh_C

Reviewed July 12, 2014

The Imperial Citadel of Thang Long was constructed earliest by the Ly dynasty in 1010 and remained the seat of the Vietnamese court until 1810, when Huế became the capital city. The royal palaces and other various structures were largely destroyed by the colonial French in the late 19th century. Some structures remain such as Doan Mon gate and the Flag Tower of Hanoi, as well as the steps of Kinh Thiên Palace and the Hậu Lâu (Princess' Palace).The Vietnamese military command under General Giap, had its headquarters in the citadel in the building known as D67. In 2010 the citadel was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List as "The Central Sector of the Imperial Citadel of Thang Long – Hanoi

3  Thank Frontiermail
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Thang Long Imperial Citadel is listed by UNESCO as World Heritage Site since 2010. We Cosmos Travel Vietnam Co., Ltd combine this historical site with Vietnam Military Museum for our travelers who are keen to learn Vietnamese history and culture

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Hanoi Citadel (Thang Long Citadel) was a military base used by the Vietnamese Army and was not open to tourists until recently. Some areas are still used by the army and access continues to be restricted.
Most ancient buildings were destroyed or damaged during the past 130 years.
However some historic buildings remain and have been restored in recent years.These include the spectacular Doan Mon Gate and Hau Lau pavillion.
Some rooms and shelters used during the Vietnam - American war are open to the public
Visitors can also view an adjacent archeological site and a display of artifacts.
I enjoyed my visit and spent about 2 hours here.
If you are interested in historical buildings, you will enjoy a visit to the citadel.

2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I am a fun of historic sites and this one should not be missed if you share the same interest!
It's a few minutes away from Ho Chih Minh Mausoleum so why not take a look? They have some interesting pieces of relics and preserved some rooms of historic significance. I regret that I went here late in the afternoon and I didnt get to see everything because they are about to close the gates, but given a chance I will explore everything. Not much people come here so you get to enjoy these historical gem more than any other attractions nearby!

1  Thank GeciDC