“Good Hotel...horrible tour!!”

Ranked #449 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Florida
“Good Hotel...horrible tour!!”
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed a total of 10 days at the Classic 2 Hotel. Our room was quite good, complete with fridge, plenty of hot water, AC and a nice breakfast. Hotel service was good and for the most part professional. BUT DON'T BOOK ANY TOURS WITH THEM!!!! I booked a Halong Bay trip that was a nightmare from start to finish! I won't go into the details but it was bad enough that I could not recommend anyone taking a tour to Halong Bay....make all of your own arrangements. On return the tour desk at the hotel was simpathetic but of little help...they refunded only $5 of the tour cost even though there were complaints about the tour from other people and other hotels.... Again although I can recommend the hotel I can not express how much I can not recommend their tour desk!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed February 16, 2011

a good hotel at a good price, great views, located in Hanoi Old Quarter. The quality of the hotel equal to the price. staff are nice and pleasant. the room is nice, big and very clean. I love culture and I had been experiencing about the vietnamese people lifestyle. The style of the hotel, all furniture, all rooms, the hallway of the hotel gave me an incredible experience when I was there. I'm glad I chose this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed February 16, 2011

No luxury but very convenient, The main reasons are the location and the price.
I stayed here in 4 days with my partner and my pet. The room was bigger than I thought when i saw it on some pics on a website. The room was very clean and the air inside the hotel is fresh. Felt very comfortable while i stayed there, staff is friendly and helpful. If I come back to Hanoi, i will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vicky890407
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 26, 2009

We stayed here for two nights. Although the interior looks old and the bathroom too. It's a beautiful hotel. The room costs $20.00 with free mini buffet breakfast for 2. The room has air condition, a mini ref, hot shower and cable tv.

The staff are helpful and they could arrange a trip to Halong Bay at a reasonable price. They also have their own coaster van to take you to the airport at a price of $12.00.

I highly recommend this hotel for travellers who would like to stay in Hanoi.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cholon2010
Wellington, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the past three years. We have done a number of tours with Vietnam Open Tour and they booked us in this hotel.
It is reputedly the highest building in the Old Quarter. Located a few hundred metres from the lake and attractions such as the Water Puppets. Local shopping and markets all around. No shortage of restaurants.
Rooms are fairly basic but always clean. Mini bar, cable TV. Free internet in the lobby. Lift/elevator available.
Good breakfast, have just changed to a buffet setup which is an improvement. Staff can book tours etc.
Take time to talk to the Canadian lady who has taken up residence, she was so impressed with the staff that she came back to stay.
All in all; Good location, nice staff, reasonable tariff.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
China
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I came to Hanoi on a 6 day holiday and booked the Classic 2 Hotel on line. When I arrived at 10 am my room wasn't ready but I left my bag and walked around the Old Quarters for 1 hour and my room was ready at 11 am. I was very impressed with my room, it was huge and had a huge double bed and a huge bathroom. It was clean and a huge bonus was a computer in the room with 24/7 Internet access free of charge. Also free of charge was 4 pieces of fruit and a bag of chips daily. My room was on the third level and I found the stairs difficult (no lift) so I asked for a room on the first level which I got. Breakfast was included and the restaurant was small but nice and the breakfast was Ok. Breadroll, ham, tomatoe, different kinds of eggs could be ordered as well as coffee and tea. The staff were friendly and helpful and treated me to a New Years party in the lobby on the Lunar New year eve 26 January 2009. That the Classic 2 Hotel is right in the middle of The Old Quarters is very convenient. I also booked all my tours with the friendly staff at the hotel and I was very satisfied with the help and advice I received to make my tours pleasant and interesting. I was very happy with my stay at Classic 2 Hotel and I would stay there again. The price is reasonable for what you get.

• Liked — The big room and the computer and Internet access in the room
  • Disliked — the difficult stairs to get up to level 2 and level 3
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I was pretty satisfied with this hotel. The room I got was clean and above average compared to the other places I stayed in Vietnam. Of course, the price was slightly higher ($20/single/night). But that cost was reflected by the complimentary fruits and chips, and computer in the room. The breakfast buffet was simple but still more than what I've been getting at other hostels. There werebaguettes, jam, butter, fruits, coffee, spring rolls, noodles, stir fried veges. You could also order eggs to your likeing (fried, omelette, scrambled).

The only complaint I had was that my room didn't have a window. Well, it did, but the window overlooked the wall of another building (you could literally touch the wall of the other building through the window). If sunlight in the morning is imperative to you (as it is for me), make sure you ask for a room in the upper floors!

• Liked — computer w internet access in the room
  • Disliked — no natural lighting
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)