“Good and bad”
Review of Duc Thai Hotel

Duc Thai Hotel
Ranked #291 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed February 7, 2009

Some of the positives about Duc Thai (95B Hang Ga) were that, unlike the majority, they responded very quickly to our online room booking request and subsequent emails. They answered equally swiftly and politely when I called from Hoi An, 2 days before our arrival, to change our booking. However, on the same phone call, I'd also clearly said to the manager to cancel our airport taxi pickup (we'd realized this way was more costly), which he repeated back to me and confirmed. So it was a bit annoying to find a driver waiting for us upon our arrival. We couldn't very well ignore him with our name nice and big on his placard.

The hotel itself is a very narrow building on a very busy street... easy to miss because of this, and because its other name "Golden Dragon" or something was more prominent to my eye than "Duc Thai". Check-in was fine, as well as the room. It was clean, the bed was soft, the flat-screen TV and hot water worked, and there was free soap, shampoo, toothbrush & paste. We were on the 5th floor (there is an elevator), but we could still hear quite a lot of traffic noise. Nevertheless, we had no trouble falling asleep, we were so tired! The breakfast is very ordinary (see photo), served in a small room at the back of the hotel, with the 2 internet PCs (free to use).

We paid for our 3 nights, 2 days Sapa trip with the hotel for US $100/person (discounted $5)- with a homestay initially. Later, we stumbled across Rose Hotel and Mr. T told us we'd paid US$15 too much, that homestays have no heating and we'll be freezing cold, and that we were entitled to a 4 star hotel for what we paid. So at first, we felt ripped off, but Mr. T turned out to be a scumbag (see my Rose Hotel review), and in the end, we thought Duc Thai wasn't so bad after all. Anyway, before we knew about Mr. T, we told the 2nd manager/worker (younger guy with a strong square face and spiky hair) what we'd found out and demanded our homestay be changed to a 4 star hotel- this was about 4 hrs before we were due to be picked up for our Sapa trip. Understandably, he wasn't happy at all and tried to talk his way out of the 4 star hotel, but conceded in the end when my friend insisted it wasn't as expensive as he made out. What followed was about 2 hrs of phone calling and laptop research by the guy, who was getting visibly angry and frustrated by the minute- at one point, he slammed the phone down and walked off, leaving who we presumed to be the hotel owner to do the rest of the work. All the while we sat there waiting and watching, not a word was said to us. I thought this was pretty unprofessional, but this might be the norm in Vietnam. To these people's credit, they didn't direct their anger at us at this point or when we got back from Sapa to stay another night.

Our train ride to Sapa and the first day was all good- we were put up in the Bamboo Sapa Hotel. However, Duc Thai seemed not to have organized our stay that well, because Bamboo Hotel had to call them to confirm that we were entitled to free meals, and the tour guide didn't realize he had us for the 2nd day as well! After a few hours and speaking to a manager, a trip to Cat Cat was arranged. I have to say to other travellers to please have a copy of your itinerary, so you at least, will know for sure what you're entitled to. When we got back from Sapa, we read that we were suppose to have lunch by the waterfall at Cat Cat. We had no lunch at all. We also had to pay to see a cultural show, which we thought was included in the package.

We got back from Sapa about 5- 6am and the hotel was closed, with the security door shut. It was still dark outside. We rang the door bell repeatedly, but there was no answer for at least 15-20 mins. Eventually, a very sleepy 2nd manager/worker opened the gate for us (he'd been sleeping behind the desk in the lobby) and after awhile to gather himself, he asked how our Sapa trip was. For some reason, I expected him to be snappy since we woke him up, but he was quite pleasant, considering.

Check-out was completed by the quieter 1st manager/worker, who didn't charge us for a bottle of mineral water.

So overall, not a bad hotel. We might've had less inconveniences had we not come across Rose Hotel and changed our mind so late about the homestay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank woozie3
ducthaihotel, Manager at Duc Thai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,
Firstly, I would like to send my best thanks to reviewer and partner who make a big contribution to my business. I guarantee that will try my best to make my Hotel's services better and better. However, I would like to make the response to the review as details below:
1) Recieving your booking change, my staff tried his best to fix on the last minutes (Private tour with homestay-----> Hotel's stay with group tour) as your request ( Stay at Bamboo Hotel), not by my recommendation.
2) About the prices, there are hundred travel agents and the hotels with the fierce competition, they could give 10%-20% discount when they realized you had already booked the trip. However, they could give you the bad qualities of accommodation, transportation, food,...different from their promise ( See the Rose hotel's review).
3) The Sapa tour, all the meals ( B, L,D) were included as the contract with Bamboo Hotel. I did not recieved any complaint from the tour ( Without Lunch at Waterfall Cat Cat) until now.If you told me when you came back from Sapa, I would solve every problems for you, even 100% money back as my promise. The entrance fees were included but culture show was not in the tour program ( The tour guide tried to get commision from the show).
4) Coming back from Sapa in the early morning, I was so sorry to tell you that the bell did not operate so my staff could not anything from you(I had fixed it right next morning).

I hope that all Tripadvisor visitors can have an objective reviews on my hotel services.

Tom Ngo,
Hotel Manager.

Reviewed February 5, 2009

We stayed 4 nights in the hotel. The hotel is located in the Old Quarter. Hotel rooms are clean. The hotel manager and staff are very helpful and take care of their guests. During a trip to Halong Bay we could leave our luggage their without paying for the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank German100
Reviewed February 1, 2009

What a wonderful place to stay!

Not a fancy hotel but with a great staff and excellent location we truly enjoyed our stay. Tom and his crew could not have been any more helpful, absolutely 100% oriented to service with a smile. Tom was able too quickly handle ALL of our travel reservations once we got to the hotel and with the location we could get to everywhere in Hanoi very easily. This was our favorite hotel in all of Vietnam,
The rooms overlooking the street have a bit more noise, but then you are in Hanoi so there is bound to be some noise. The breakfast isn't extravagant but is well-prepared, ample and delicious. Everyone working at this hotel was always eager and polite. I can't imagine anyone handling travel arrangements any better than Tom, worth staying at the Duc Thai just for the ease of booking right there in the lobby with Tom.
I would stay here any and every time I'm in Hanoi, and so would my family.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank YouthinAsia
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I stayed at Duc Thai in Hanoi during my holiday in November 2008. The hotel is very conveniently located within the city centre, affordable, rooms clean and good size, what you see on the pictures is what you get. Staff speak very good english and all are very friendly and helpfull, especially the manager: Tom who goes extra mile to help you... he even organised an itinerary for the rest of our trip in Vietnam. Definetely a place worth recommending, and coming back to!
Greg, London, UK

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank Gregs80
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I chose the Duc Thai from Trip Advisor reviews and must say there was a lot of good feedback on Hanoi accom. What impressed me was the feedback on Tom the manager and his no hard sell, along with v good feedback on trips that were organised through hotel, also how they had gone out of their way with other travellers to accomodate or provide meals etc.
The hotel is narrow like many in Hanoi but my first impression was on my arrival via airport cab Tuan (i hope thats how you spell it) bounced across the road to help me with my luggage. He has this great friendly smile and was always very helpful. I became very addicted to Vietnamese sweetened coffee while in Vietnam and one afternoon mentioned how i would love one and he immediately organised one on the house. Small gesture but this was indicative of their willingness to assist and it really makes a difference this sort of service on travels.
The room was on the front 4th floor and first night noticed traffic noise but after that i think i just did not notice. I stayed 5 nights and did the Halong Bay trip arranged with no sell at all from Tom or staff in fact i asked them after a couple of days. I appreciated that after travelling for the previous 2 weeks. The Dolphin is great jusnk etc but Halong Bay itself is another story. Briefly it is overridden by tourists and junks. I counted 50 ... and this is during winter. Back to hotel .. Yes, it is like the pictures on hotel web page - good for me large room, big open window heavily curtained to block out daylight if needed. Bathroom was great, modern enough i think renovated with good hot water pressure. Location was good .. limited cafes close compared to some parts of old quarter but then i may have missed them ... i did get lost a bit ... Tom is a trendy young manager, computer savvy, great internet and screen with printer yeeha and i found all his suggestions and all the staff advice very honest ... including where to get money changed what cabs to use .... The lift is stunning like a 5 star hotel lift. I am veggo so breakfast was a meat eaters heaven but plenty of coffee and when the fruit ran out and i asked if anymore he disappeared and came back from the shop with bananas no trouble at all .. i know they would have organised non meat if i wanted it but not a big breakfast eater ... they did have pumpkin soup every second morning ... nothing would have been a prolem to organise. Just ask if you need.
Thanks Tom, Tuan and Peter and all staff for a great stay and all the little things keep it up even when you are No. 1.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank saggo
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We stayed in the duc thai hotel at the beginning of december, we had an absolutely lovely time. The rooms actually look like what they do on duc thai website which is very unusual for the hotels we stayed at, throughout our travels.The beds were comfortable our deluxe room was very large and the wooden floor boards and furniture were a nice touch.The staff were friendly and attentive when ever we had any concerns or needed anything extra they served us happily and promptly. One evening before leaving for our sapa tour at 2115 i injured my hand and we ran out of time to get our dinner so the staff let us sit with them and shared their dinner with us. This was so kind of them and very helpful to us. We booked both halong and sapa through duc thai and they were great, the best thing about them is if you have any problems they will fix it them they will not ignore your complaints ever they always try to fix them! We would absolutely stay here again it was a friendly, quiet haven from the hustle and bustle of Hanoi.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank marie333
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We have selected Duc Thai Hotel through last minute offer looking for short term stay in Hanoi and not having any big expectations towards the standard. Therefore our surprise was even bigger when we found out very good room conditions, professional and helpful staff and - morover - friendly owner Tom ;)

Starting from short stay plan we have extended our "involvement" with Duc Thai to full 3 weeks across-Vietnam trip with full service - staring from planning and discussing places to visit, through ordering all possible tickets and making hotel reservations to bying special tours in selected places. The trip was fantastic and - believe or not - we have succeeded in all the plans )sometimes still asking ourselves how it was possible...). It was great comfort to have Tom on the line whenever something was necessary and small issues arised. Duc Thai proved to be reliable, highly customer oriented, well organized and professional partner for Vietnam trip and Hanoi stay. Morover we have met there great, friendly and opened people who were committed to deliver according to promise.

We wish Duc Thai all the best in their business and rich guests ;)

Mikel and Maria from Poland